Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 125 Discussion **SPOILERS**

• 31-12-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭

ufc_125_thumb.jpg

No need for spoiler tags UNLESS YOU'RE POSTING DETAILS ABOUT THE UNDERCARD WHICH MAY BE BROADCAST ON MAIN PPV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've got Gray winning this, 3/4th round by TKO. Just think he has too much for edgar.

Think Guida/Gomi could well be fight of the night, with a win by decision for Guida. (Although i do have a tenner on a Guida KO/TKO at 10/1 wit PP)

Going against Marcus Davis in this, for the first time, i think his weight cut is gonna affect him badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

countdown:
    http://www.ufc.com/media/125-CD-EDGAR-MAYNARD

In the beginning of the countdown Gray comes off kinda creepy :pac: and he REALLY wants to win this fight.

I think Frankie is too well rounded to lose.
    Gray is probably the most boring fighter ive ever seen being interviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Think il go with

Edgar
    Stann
    Vera
    Guida
    Diaz

Tones69 wrote: »
    Think il go with

Edgar
    Stann
    Vera
    Guida
    Diaz

Now that surprises me, especially with Vera's recent form.

Maynard
    Leben
    Silva
    Guida
    Kim

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Preliminary Bouts:

Antonio McKee vs. Jacob Volkmann - Probably the most boring fighter in the UFC now, but can't see him losing
    Daniel Roberts vs. Greg Soto - Never heard of Daniel Roberts..
    Mike Brown and Diego Nunes - Because it's Mike Brown

(Ion Television 9PM ET/6PM PT)

Phil Baroni vs. Brad Tavares - Because it's Phil Baroni..
    Josh Grispi vs. Dustin Poirier - Really can't see Grispi losing this one
    Marcus Davis vs. Jeremy Stephens - With the weight cut and the amount of body shots Stephens puts in, Davis will be gassed by the end of the first..

Main Bouts:

Takanori Gomi vs. Clay Guida - With his brick head, can't see Gomi KOing him, Guida to wrestle/stand for 1 round on his way to a UD
    Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim - Toughest to call imo, Nate outstrikes his way to a UD
    Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva - Vera has no consistency, I think Thiago is just too much for him, 2nd round TKO
    Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann - Can't see Stann winning this in any way.. Lacks power in his hand and is just generally jack of all trades, master of none.
    Gray Maynard vs. Frankie Edgar (UFC Lightweight Champion) - Hoping for Frankie to win again, I've gone with him in the 2 BJ fights and really hoping he delivers again Saturday night.. His work ethic is just unreal and his dedication is something else, by far my favourite LW..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Niall0 wrote: »
    In the beginning of the countdown Gray comes off kinda creepy :pac: and he REALLY wants to win this fight.

I think Frankie is too well rounded to lose.
    Gray is probably the most boring fighter ive ever seen being interviewed.

I think part of it is that he has a stutter and he has to try really hard for it not to show, which ends up making him sound monotone

I have Gray winning. And not in an exciting fashion. But Guida will make up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I'm only going to predict the main card in detail because it will take too long for me to do all the fights.

Gray Maynard vs Frankie Edgar

win.jpg
    Prediction: Gray Maynard via unanimous decision.
    The reason I chose Gray is simple, he has beaten Frankie before and he will do it again. Gray is almost like a stronger, taller version of Frankie and although Frankie makes up for his height with speed and boxing, Gray makes up for his lack of speed with strength and wrestling. So I see this as a grappling match with Gray's hand being raised at the end. The fans will find this fight very boring, sure you only have to look at Gray's record, he hasn't finished anyone since 2007 but the guy knows how to win fights and thats all that matters in this fight. I counted Frankie out both times against BJ Penn and I was wrong but I'm sorry Frankie but I have to count you out again.

Chris Leben vs Brian Stann

leben_280x390_478224a.jpg
    Prediction: Chris Leben via TKO 2nd Round.
    I don't know too much about Brian Stann but I know that his talent doesn't ly in just one martial arts, his talent is spread over each aspect individually, this however means that he's good at everything but he's not great at anything. Chris Leben has had his ups and downs but at the moment the dude is on the biggest up of his career with a stunning submission of Sexyama. Leben has a granite chin and knockout power. Brian Stann has power in his striking but I think Leben edges ahead. I dont know why Leben has to fight Stann, Leben should be fighting someone at a heigher level, Leben should of been given Wanderlei when he gets healthy, can you imagine how insane that fight would be!! Anyway Chris Leben should finish Stann but it won't be easy.

Thiago Silva vs Brandon Vera

thiago_silva_39628.jpg
    Prediction: Thiago Silva via KO 1st Round.
    I don't like Brandon Vera, so this prediction might seem biased. I feel as though Vera hypes himself up too much and the guy has a below average record, the dude lost to Keith Jardine... anyway I thought Jon Jones would humble Vera a little by smashing his orbital bone with Bones's elbow but seems as though he wasnt humbled enough. Silva also needs a win after his lost to Rashad, Silva will KO Vera the same way he KO'd Jardine, first round in the opening few minutes. Silva is a beast and he almost had Rashad in the third. Brandon Vera is overrated and he is his own fan.

Nate Diaz vs Kim Dong-hyun

Nate-Diaz.jpg
    Prediction: Nate Diaz via unanimous decision.
    I cannot wait for this fight!!! :eek::eek: This is one of the fight of the nights without a doubt! I love both of these guys and I havent seen Kim Dong-hyun fight in ages! Kim Dong-hyun is technically undefeated since his Karo lost was overturned but I still Nate will be too much for him. Nate Diaz looks great at welterweight. Nate Diaz will beat him on the feet with countless number of strikes but if they tie up on the feet in the clinch Kim Dong-hyun should be able to get Nate to the ground and into a dominant position. But it won't be easy for Kim Dong-hyun on the ground as Nate can submit Kim at any second. This will be a close fight, it could even be a split decision but either way Nate is the better fighter.

Clay Guida vs Takanori Gomi

clay-g1.jpg
    Prediction: Clay Guida via TKO 3rd Round.
    Another fight of the night right here! Great fight! Clay Guida is a beast, he's a grinder and strong wrestler with an unbreakable chin and Gomi has never in his career fought anyone like Clay. Clay's pace will gas Gomi and Gomi won't be able to defend the takedowns, he will be smothered for 2 rounds until he quits in the third. Gomi has big punches but even if he connects with Clay I dont think it will knock him out like it did with Griffin. Clay all the way with this one, I think Gomi got a little bit lucky with his KO of Griffin, not taking anything away from Gomi because his punch on Griffin was amazing and right on the money but Clay is a different type of monster, a monster that won't go away, just ask Diego Sanchez, Gomi doesnt have the gas tank.

So they are my predictions in some sort of detail, I will come back after the weekend and comment on mistakes and gloat when I get everything right!
    A few other fights just to note the winner

Brad Tavares
    Josh Grispi
    Jeremy Stephens
    Mike Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Frank says he can submit Gray even though Gray has never been submitted........... but didn't Nate Diaz sub him with a Triangle Choke on TUF?

Also, the thread is a tad overly serious at this early stage and in my opinion needs a little Britney Palmer

brittney_palmer-7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Frank says he can submit Gray even though Gray has never been submitted........... but didn't Nate Diaz sub him with a Triangle Choke on TUF?

Also, the thread is a tad overly serious at this early stage and in my opinion needs a little Britney Palmer

brittney_palmer-7.jpg

If we was subbed on TUF. They don't count on your record and are considered exhibition bouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

SDTimeout wrote: »
    If we was subbed on TUF. They don't count on your record and are considered exhibition bouts.

yeah i know this, but it doesn't change the fact that Gray has been submitted in a competitive fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

She can put me in a leg triangle choke anytime! :)

I'm finding it hard to get excited about much else on this card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Not to mention Holly Madison as guest Octagon girl too. My predictions are:
    Maynard
    Leben
    Silva
    Diaz
    Guida
    Lil Heathen (Sorry Marcus)
    Grispi
    Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

MrStuffins wrote: »

He subbed gray with that modified guillotine he uses. Gray looks quite "submitable". The reason nobody's done it in a pro fight is because his wrestling is too good to keep him on the ground. Hes able to dictate where the fight takes place too easily. Look at the trouble he had against jim miller when the fight went to ground. However frankie wont submit him from his back. 90% of this fight will be gray lying on top of frankie but not getting anything really done. He will keep busy enough to prevent a stand up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Guida to win by KO for betting purposes would do nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Who's staying up for this tonight? Haven't decided yet...

Probably not, will download it at 9am and watch it at midday wit a few beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I probably will, nothing better to be doing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

This really makes for great fight, if edgar can escape the takedowns of maynard and punish him then i think he will take it, if not i think maynard will score the rounds for getting the takedowns with his wrestling. heart is saying frankie edgar, head saying gray maynard. will not be betting on this fight anyway as it could go either way.

I'm going with wins for:

Mike Brown
    Brad Tavares
    Greg Soto
    Clay Guida
    Thiago Silva
    Chris Leben
    Jeremy Stevens

Gonna stick my head out and say frankie edgar and jacob volkman too :D

Accumulator on tavares, stephens, leben, guida

I'm going to stay up. The booze made the decision for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Ill be up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

I'll be up!

The prelims start at 1? Never watched them before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Davis v Stephens
    Diaz v Kim
    Guida v Gomi
    Vera v Silva
    Leben v Stann
    Edgar v Maynard

Prelims at 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

According to ESPN's schedule, the prelims are on at 02:00 for half an hour only, then half an hour of cricket and then UFC 125 at 03:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The prelims are airing on tv in the US at 1:55am our time. They must have added on an extra five minutes in case the three fights go the distance. If ESPN here start airing it at 2am then they're probably going to miss a little bit of the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ive gone for edgar on points at 7/4
    think thats value for a 50/50 fight
    thats how i see it anyway
    its 2/5 for the fight to go the distance...a bit short but i
    think it will go the full five

a small treble on diaz, roberts and tavares

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Ill be up :D

He's returned!! :eek:

Volk via split decision gives me my first fully correct fantasy total of the year :D

Roberts def. Soto via submission (kimura) RD 1, 3:45

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

I hope Baroni achieves a Menne-esque KO tonight to add to his highlight collection. It'll probably have to happen in the first 30 seconds though, given his usual conditioning problems.

Holy shit, wasn't expecting those results in the prelims!!:eek:

baroni is looking good

sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

nice. First one up for the accumulator :)

Great finish, didn't rush in after the headkick and caught Baroni with some beautiful combo's to finish.

• Advertisement

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    baroni is looking good
    Until he gassed after 2 minutes..

Are we using spoilers on these prelims?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Until he gassed after 2 minutes..

Are we using spoilers on these prelims?

Dont think so.. considering there is an alert in the topic. :)

This should be a Cracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Is Brown up next ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

this is going to be a great fight!!!!!
    come on josh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Poirer is fighting absolutely amazing :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Great round from Poirier.

total street fighter,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

This is why we loved the WEC :D

great dirty boxing i love it

I've gotten all of the prelims wrong bar
    Tavares
    :(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

There goes my accum already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Imagine what Aldo would have done to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Lol my accumulator was finished after the first fight.

At least we get to see Marcus "Lucky Charms O'Begorra" Davis get his arse kicked. :pac:

Well done Marcus clinch after you rock him :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement