Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 125 Discussion **SPOILERS**

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Its not really the same as Wanderlei never actually killed anyone with an axe ( i think!), its just a nickname.
    What they are hyping Stann over are incidents that actually happened and that many people around the world see as an act of terrorism and not heroism.
    I'm not preaching over the war here, just saying that many of the so called target audience globally who they are trying to win over may find this distasteful.

Yap, being in charge of 42 soldiers, being ambushed by hundreds and returning all of his troops home alive. Yeah, sounds like a right fuss out of nothing. I'm sure everyone could do it.. He should really be put on trial for war crimes for defending his fellow soldiers against an attack on them, he was clearly in the wrong and should've let them all be slaughtered..

/sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Lads you are missing the point, you think he is a hero, I get it.
    My point is that many people internationally who are potential UFC fans think he is something entirely different.

I'm not making this point as an anti war stance, I'm thinking of how the UFC will be seen in other countries for pushing this, thats all.

Mellor wrote: »

Regardless of your opinion on the war, what he did was heroic.
    By that logic you must agree that Osama Bin Laden is a hero.

and before you all go nuts I'm talking about Afghanistan versus the Russsians not 9/11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lads you are missing the point, you think he is a hero, I get it.
    My point is that many people internationally who are potential UFC fans think he is something entirely different.

I'm not making this point as an anti war stance, I'm thinking of how the UFC will be seen in other countries for pushing this, thats all.
    What fans/countries would have that view? Honestly.
    do you think what he did was heroic? Why/Why not?

Obvious, he won't be looked on favourable in the likes of Afghanistan as he was a US solider, regardless of the fact that he saved 42 lives.
    But I thought think the UFC is trying to host an even in Kabul anything soon
    By that logic you must agree that Osama Bin Laden is a hero.

and before you all go nuts I'm talking about Afghanistan versus the Russsians not 9/11

First of all, google "logic". As the above is not using logic.

What did Osama Bin Laden do (versus the russains) that could be considered heroic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Obvious, he won't be looked on favourable in the likes of Afghanistan as he was a US solider, regardless of the fact that he saved 42 lives.
    But I thought think the UFC is trying to host an even in Kabul anything soon

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18627/dana-white-says-ufc-event-in-afghanistan-two-to-three-months-away-will-benefit-troops.mma

"What fans/countries would have that view? Honestly"

Many people in Ireland, the UK and most European countries would have that view. Not to mention outside of Europe.
    You may not agree with that view, but surely are not too naive to admit that a huge amount of people worldwide do not regard any of the actions of American soldiers in Iraq as heroic.

"do*you*think what he did was heroic? Why/Why not?"

As I said before, I am not getting into that on this thread, I am referring to the UFC's attempts to appeal internationally, not debating on the rights or wrongs of the Iraq war and the soldiers involved.

"First of all, google "logic". As the above is not using logic"

You know exactly what I meant, lets not go there.

"What did Osama Bin Laden do (versus the russains) that could be considered heroic?"

He is well documented to have fought them valiantly and is widely regarded as a hero to many people for his actions in that particular war.
    As I said before, one mans "hero" is another mans "terrorist".

Look again you are missing the point, I am not stating that Stann is or is not "heroic". I'm just stating a huge amount of people on an international scale would see his actions in Iraq as something entirely different from heroic. You don't have to agree with them, but cannot deny that many people take this view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Back on topic please people

Amen to that, for the record I think Frankie Edgar was robbed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

:rolleyes:

mod-edit, back on topic means, back on topic

• Advertisement

back on topic and no trying to have the last word please ;)

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well, it was going to be in a US based, and was imo purely a marketing ploy by Dana, was never actually going to happen. 2-3 months away, well that was 9 months ago and there is no sign of it in the next few months
    "What fans/countries would have that view? Honestly"

Many people in Ireland, the UK and most European countries would have that view. Not to mention outside of Europe.
    You may not agree with that view, but surely are not too naive to admit that a huge amount of people worldwide do not regard any of the actions of American soldiers in Iraq as heroic.

"do*you*think what he did was heroic? Why/Why not?"

As I said before, I am not getting into that on this thread, I am referring to the UFC's attempts to appeal internationally, not debating on the rights or wrongs of the Iraq war and the soldiers involved.
    You are referign to the soliders in general, which i'd agree with.

i was, and the UFC was, taking about 1 guy and one incident.

"First of all, google "logic". As the above is not using logic"

You know exactly what I meant, lets not go there.

"What did Osama Bin Laden do (versus the russains) that could be considered heroic?"

He is well documented to have fought them valiantly and is widely regarded as a hero to many people for his actions in that particular war.
    As I said before, one mans "hero" is another mans "terrorist".
    He was simply in a war. Nothing special.
    I doubt the UFC would give every fighter the same kind of intro, if they did I'd agree with you 100%.

You keep overlooking the fact that we are talking about 1 incident, that 1 guy achieved
    dunkamania wrote: »
    Back on topic please people

Not sure if you deleted posts, or are referign to us?
    But we're discussing the UFC announcements at 125, in the 125 thread, so kinda on topic.

I'll drop it if you want.

back on topic and no trying to have the last word please ;)

Practice what you preach ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I'll drop it if you want.

Thank you

I know the aftermath of 125 is over,

But I just seen this in my betfair account

144085.jpg

For those that don't use betfair and can't read it, it means betfair paid out profit to me for maynard/edgar draw (I had edgar to win)

Advertisement