Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

want to buy scooter, looking for advice

• 31-12-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im looking in to getting a scooter. Passed my test on the fri 3rd dec but tax office was closed at 4, got there at quarter past, so couldnt get licence until the 6th so now I have to stay at the 50cc size cause i just cant afford the abomination that is the IBT. FOOK it

Anyway, Im just looking for something basic and realiable to get me to and from suburbs to work in cork city. What should i avoid, whats good. Anyone know anywhere in Cork that sells scooters at a reasonable rate.

Any advice at all will be very welcomed

Thanks

Eurokev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

eurokev wrote: »
    Passed my test on the fri 3rd dec

Theory test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

carsQhere wrote: »
    Theory test?
    You will quickly kill a 50cc if you are doing any distance and riding it at any speed for any length of time....lot of people get 50's and they ride them too far and flat out, then they die, they aren't designed for being ridden flat out all the time. Nothing lasts if you have the engine flat out all time....IBT is a pain, but so is a 50 if you use if for anything but nipping round town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

If your journey is mainly city/urban, go for a 125. If you travel on a motorway/dual carriageway, get a 250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The many hills of Cork will have your 50cc working hard.

I owned a Honda Lead 100cc, a fine scooter and they are very popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you passed your car test before Oct 2006 you can drive a Moped, these are restricted 45km/h, otherwise you'll have to do IBT. How far do you need to commute and what type of roads do you use? But if you legally can't meet the urban limit it will be a dangerous journey as car drivers will force you into the gutter and you do not want to be in there on a bike never mind a moped with tiny wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

ill just be going from donnybrook to ucc. Im a bit worried as to what paople are saying about 50cc's. Would I be able to get insurance on 100cc scooter without having to do the IBT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ill just be going from donnybrook to ucc. Im a bit worried as to what paople are saying about 50cc's. Would I be able to get insurance on 100cc scooter without having to do the IBT?

UCD you mean?

You can walk from donnybrook to ucd in 15 minutes and cycle on a pushbike in half that. I wouldnt bother with a scooter for that sort of distance :D

While you may get insurance but if anything happens they won't pay out.
    The only motorbike you can ride on a B licence issued before Oct 2006 is a moped, which has to be less the 49cc and restricted to 45km/h.

I did a quick google directions and it's showing as about 5km to 8km from Donnybrook to UCC. 2 options give the N25 and one gives local roads. Avoid N roads at all costs on a moped.

If you are going to be travelling only during rush hour and stay away from N roads then it's easily doable, I've no idea of what hills you'll hit thought. If you want to see if it's possible try cycling the route you plan to take, if you can easily cycle it then a moped will be perfect.

landyman wrote: »
    UCD you mean?

You can walk from donnybrook to ucd in 15 minutes and cycle on a pushbike in half that. I wouldnt bother with a scooter for that sort of distance :D

They are in Cork:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

landyman wrote: »

You can walk from donnybrook

Donnybrook is in Cork :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I had a 50cc for many years for dublin commute- then got a 125cc 2 years ago and wondered why the hell I didn't do it years ago!! My scottoer gave him lots of probs as you are pretty much riding it full tilt the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

Why don't you buy something like this Vespa Piaggio? Look better in my opinion than normal scooter. But i don't know anything about motors, so it's just an idea:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I had a 50cc for many years for dublin commute- then got a 125cc 2 years ago and wondered why the hell I didn't do it years ago!! My scottoer gave him lots of probs as you are pretty much riding it full tilt the whole time.

wait to you move into the 600+ range..

DubDubStep wrote: »
    Why don't you buy something like this bmw mini motorbike? Look better in my opinion that scooter. But i don't know anything about motors, so it's just an idea:)

That's not linking to mini motorbike.

AFAIK mini moto's aren't legal for road use here.

That's right - my mistake.
    I made link to Vespa that might be a good idea. Thanks for noticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

hobochris wrote: »
    wait to you move into the 600+ range..

I think 125cc maybe 250cc would be the max I will go to- I have too heavy a wrist ;)

If you want something nice in 250cc range, i think you can try Honda Hornet. My friend has it, i saw in action;] But i'm not a biker, so i don't know much about it:) I even found one in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

Ignore all advice...50 cc is ok if 50 cc is all you can afford .My first bike was a honda express 50 cc .....little more than a glorified pushbike .I rode that thing everywhere ,including day trips around the wicklow mountains ,with no spares ,and mobile phones hadnt been invented . Kept it for a year and then moved up ...and am still moving up more than 25 years later .My wife got a 50cc Vespa LX50 4T from the pitstop motorcycle shop in churchtown ,dublin , about 2 years ago ...man 50 cc bikes have come on in the last quarter century ...thats all I can say .

Advertisement