Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC/PS3 basis for a home cinema system - good idea??

• 31-12-2010 2:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

After getting a PS3 from the man in red this Christmas I’ve been thinking about going the whole hog on a home cinema system but was looking for a bit of advice. I’m a complete novice and have the grand total of 3 days reading up on these things so bare with me please.

My first question is it really worth putting a system in place given my current set up? While the PS3 (newer slim version) will mostly be used for playing games with the odd blue-ray thrown in the main work of my TV (and in turn any potential system) would be standard tv. I’m sure I’d get some benefit out of a home cinema system from my PS3 but my big concern is what benefits I’d get from my bog standard UPC connection. At the moment my UPC digital is coming through my old Pace box (http://www.upc.ie/pdf/PaceDC221.pdf). Using such a system am I building my home cinema on the proverbial sand or are there others like me out there with good stories??

The set of second questions relates to best way of connecting it to an amp (could be redundant depending on response to first Q!). Just looking at the set-top box is rather sparse in terms of audio/visual connections (page 5 of the manual). I presume the best audio connection to the amp would be optical out? In terms of visual connection the only output from the stb is scart/rf. Would there be any benefit/need to run this through the amp? I know some amps offer upscaling of pictures could I cheat and run my stb through the amp – using a scart to component lead – and then on to the tv via a hdmi cable?

In terms of the system I was thinking of putting together, basically I’m happy to spend a bit on the amp and future proofing the system (again if it’s worth it given my set up), i.e., 7.1, 3D etc. I was thinking of something like the Sony STR-DH810 or maybe even the Onkyo TX-SR608 – both seem to get good reviews and would cover the entry level-to mid range amps. What do people think? Given my beginners credentials I was leaning towards the Sony (cheaper) option.

Haven’t thought of speakers yet – if I’m being over aspirational I could always go with a sound bar. Hope I’ve provided enough info, looking forward to hearing your comments, cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

<Snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

xp90 wrote: »
    <Snip>

hmmm I see..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

is there any possibility of you upgrading to a UPC HD box? that way you can connect to the amp via HDMI and solve your video dilemma, i`m not sure if you can upscale via component to HDMI - it may depend on the actual amp you buy...

I`d recommend the onkyo amp over the sony - both got 5 star reviews when I checked online but the extra HDMI connections on the onkyo will prove invaluable down the line....you my or may not end up using it but if you do you`ll be very grateful (e.g. I have a number of HDMI devices, PS3, sky HD box, media player, DVD recorder and i`ve only 3 HDMI in`s on my amp:-( )

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Sony-STR-DH810/
    http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Onkyo-TX-SR608/

As for your std UPC box, you have it spot on in regard to the audio connection - use the optical out to the amp...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@xp90,

If you don't have anything useful to say please don't bother posting here - The next time it'll be a lengthy ban.

Ritz.

ty superleedsdub

Yes found what hifi to be very useful - been basing most of my research on this. I've no plans at the moment to upgrade to a UPC HD box - right now I don't think theres that much matrial being boradcast in HD and truth is on my 32" HD ready tv you probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference - but I'm not saying I'll never upgrade its just not going to happen anytime soon. Where I was thinking I could make a vast improvement in terms of AV expereince was the sound. I'm just wondering would I get much of an audio experience with my proposed set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Q&A wrote: »
    ty superleedsdub

Yes found what hifi to be very useful - been basing most of my research on this. I've no plans at the moment to upgrade to a UPC HD box - right now I don't think theres that much matrial being boradcast in HD and truth is on my 32" HD ready tv you probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference - but I'm not saying I'll never upgrade its just not going to happen anytime soon. Where I was thinking I could make a vast improvement in terms of AV expereince was the sound. I'm just wondering would I get much of an audio experience with my proposed set up

I agree with you regarding UPC HD - One of the many reasons I have SKy HD:-)

Yes, by upgrading to a seperates surround sound system as you have described you will benefit greatly audio wise. You will be able to listen to blu-rays/DVD in dolby digital for a start, which if set up correctly and with some wise choices with the equipment you purchase, will be a huge step up from your existing audio setup.

You seem to have the basics spot on - your average joe soap seems to like an all in one system, which is a big no no, any idea on the budget for your speakers?

Home cinema choice magazine is another good source for reviews

P.s. what are currently using for DVD`s? your PS3?

Thanks for the reply and belated happy new year,

Not sure about the budget for the speakers - I guess I shouldn't skimp on the last hurdle - again relying on whathif they rate the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS speaker package and they don't seem to be the most expensive.

As for DVD's I was using my black diamond stallworth of dvd player. Still going strong 8 years down the line.

though right now I'm a little distracted from the sound side of things as my alleged HD ready TV doesnt seem to want to display any output from my PS3!!

Advertisement