Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying rent at home

• 31-12-2010 2:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

What do you guys think of this whole scenario? I hate scroungers and scrounging off your parents is hateful so paying rent is perfectly acceptable to me if you're working.

I'm back in the family house and can't for the life of me find anyone to move out with and rent, I can't really afford a place by myself.

I'm working and handing up €50 a week which i think is fair seeing as I have 5 meals a week in the house and thats it, no lunch, brekkie etc. I also work mad 50+ hours and i'm rarely even there.
    After a few words they're looking to increase it a fair bit and i'm in a foul mood now on New Years Eve!

What do you guys pay at home, if anything? Am I being unfair?!

EDIT: For those new to the thread, i've decided to stump up some more cash, thanks for the insight. After Hours useful for once, who would have thought!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It depends - if your parents can afford it they should let you save up to get your own place etc.

But if you're just wasting around and/or your parents cannot afford it then it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

€50 a week?

That's just scabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

50 seems low, and if they're asking you for more they likely need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

€50 a week?

That's just scabby.

You reckon so? I honestly have no idea, a few of my mates are at home too and I seem to be paying the "joint most" if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'll never understand paying rent to your own parents. I don't know about anyone else's parents but mine would never accept let alone ask for rent. It's just unimaginable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Do your parents need the money ? how did the manage before you moved back in. If you feel the are been unfair just tell them no. It's not worth falling out with them over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

When I was in college and working part time I handed up €60, now I'm fully employed I hand up nothing, I don't know how it worked out this way but I like it!

RichieC wrote: »
    50 seems low, and if they're asking you for more they likely need it.

They dont, its very much about the principal with me mother.

I'll never understand paying rent to your own parents. I don't know about anyone else's parents but mine would never accept let alone ask for rent. It's just unimaginable.

Lawdeedaw! look at me I've got matching shoes!

You reckon so? I honestly have no idea, a few of my mates are at home too and I seem to be paying the "joint most" if you will.

Where else would you get to have roof over your head & meals every day for that price?

You left home - the last thing they probably expected was to have you land back on their doorstep again looking for food & shelter.

Bung them a tonne & keep 'em sweet.

• Advertisement

€50 a week?

That's just scabby.

well he only eats there five times a week. I think it's loads. Parents should look out for their kids and not try live of them.

nursing homes are not cheap whem payback comes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Lawdeedaw! look at me I've got matching shoes!
    And burlap sacks for socks? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

After a few words they're looking to increase it a fair bit and i'm in a foul mood now on New Years Eve!

When they come home some day you should be sitting there with your solicitor and a representative of Threshold. Several copies of tenants rights legislation to hand. You should have a frank and brutally honest discussion where they realise that you are calling the shots now. The rent stays the same - standards of accommodation are going to have to improve significantly.

If the Legal route doesn't work out get some Heavies to rough them up a bit.

Bung them a tonne & keep 'em sweet.

This! a happy mother is a better mother :)

What kind of food are they giving you?

I mean are we talking spaghetti hoops or filet mignon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Do you split bills also or is it just €50 weekly? Seems like you've been getting a good deal, it depends on how much more she is looking for whether it is unreasonable or not.

This! a happy mother is a better mother :)

And a happier mother is a less hassled dad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm back in the family house and can't for the life of me find anyone to move out with and rent, I can't really afford a place by myself.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?fr=default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

What do you guys think of this whole scenario? I hate scroungers and scrounging off your parents is hateful so paying rent is perfectly acceptable to me if you're working.

I'm working and handing up €50 a week which i think is fair seeing as I have 5 meals a week in the house and thats it, no lunch, brekkie etc. I also work mad 50+ hours and i'm rarely even there.

Paying rent is also acceptable if you're not working!

My sons not working at the moment and gives me 60e a week(from his social welfare) and he pays for tv. He does his own cooking and washing etc.

OisinT wrote: »
    What kind of food are they giving you?

I mean are we talking spaghetti hoops or filet mignon?

Probably still getting bitty.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Spook80

i was paying 10% of whatever my weekly wage was at the time which was usually about 50-60euro. Although we always shared the sky and broadband bill which was fair considering i probably used them the most.

To be honest, i cant imagine it a big deal after all they are your parents.
    If i was ever broke they'd let me off the "rent" and likewise if an unexpected expense ever came up for example, broken dishwasher, id chip in.

Have mates who pay between 50 - 100 a week with 80 being average! Though you working 50+ hours sounds like you could easily up it after all you are getting shelter and meals.

Or else

Throw them out a line that you're saving for something like college or a fund so you can move out, if that doesn't work just blow them off everytime they ask for money by saying that you'll have it tomorrow or that you lost your bank card and it'll take a few weeks to get another.

lol set max rent @ €200pm
    I'd say there's plenty available for that, you might have to share a bed with a couple of dudes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

I think regardless of if your parents ask for the money or not, if you're living at home you should still be paying some kind of "rent" to your parents. Also it shouldn't matter if you're on the dole or working. I couldn't imagine living at home and not paying up any kind of money. I was paying €75 a week and I don't eat any meals there (I'm veggie, the family love their meat!) so I buy all my own food. When it comes to how much is the right amount to give I think it depends on your income and how much your family need it. If you're sitting at home eating mammys food and playing the xbox all day, making the electricity bill rise, you should be handing over extra :p

I'd say there's plenty available for that, you might have to share a bed with a couple of dudes though.
    Just checked, even in Dublin City there are loads of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So you want food, bed, power and heating for €50 a week? :eek:

You should change your username to Party-At-My-Gaff-Just-Let-Me-Check-To-See-If-Mammy-&-Daddy-Aren't-At-Home-First.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

I live at home, Im on the dole and I pay 70 euro a week. That covers all bills like tv, internet, esb and gas. I can eat whenever I like but my mam usually makes dinner, I sometimes buy my own cereal.
    I think Im getting a good deal for living in Dublin 12 and all I get. If I was working and getting more I would definitely pay more.

The way I see it, if you dont have to pay bills than you should probably pay more.

So you want food, bed, power and heating for €50 a week? :eek:

The parents would need power and heat even if he is not there.

Just checked, even in Dublin City there are loads of places.
    The only thing I see for 50 quid a week is a twin room (both beds available! ) in a small apartment in Mountjoy Sq with 5 people already living there, add 2 extra people for the twin room!

No thanks!

Right, well i'll probably stump up some more, meet them in the middle while the active hunt for renting continues.

I live at home, Im on the dole and I pay 70 euro a week. That covers all bills like tv, internet, esb and gas. I can eat whenever I like but my mam usually makes dinner, I sometimes buy my own cereal.
    I think Im getting a good deal for living in Dublin 12 and all I get. If I was working and getting more I would definitely pay more.

The way I see it, if you dont have to pay bills than you should probably pay more.

Fucking hell.

So this is where my tax dollars go... to fund layabouts living with mammy & getting their dinners cooked for them?

And I used to think that social welfare was for the purposes of helping the needy.

Well done, You'll be off the live register in no time with those skillsets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How much would a one bedroom apartment cost you per month including bills? Or a bedsit including bills? That's how much you should be paying your parents.

How much would a one bedroom apartment cost you per month including bills? Or a bedsit including bills? That's how much you should be paying your parents.
    Erm, no it's not.

Plus a few extra quid "embarrasment money".

Right, well i'll probably stump up some more, meet them in the middle while the active hunt for renting continues.

How much do they want?

I don't agree with this argument. What you pay full whack for independant living should not be charged at home. I wouldn't charge my kids that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

DaveM80 wrote: »
    i was paying 10% of whatever my weekly wage was at the time which was usually about 50-60euro. Although we always shared the sky and broadband bill which was fair considering i probably used them the most.

To be honest, i cant imagine it a big deal after all they are your parents.
    If i was ever broke they'd let me off the "rent" and likewise if an unexpected expense ever came up for example, broken dishwasher, id chip in.

Nice one, I think that's a good setup, it's good your folks were like that and it gives ye a chance to financially breathe if you've spent too much dosh in a month :)

I know when I was on the dole back in 2003 or thereabouts I was paying my dad €50 a week, seemed like a massive amount at the time but in retrospect, I was getting all my dinners made, all washing done, heating, electricity bills etc. paid, so looking back on it I was actually getting a bargain :D

Plus a few extra quid "embarrasment money".
    Not to mention he's cramping his parent's style. They're probably raising the rent to make it more attractive for him to move out so they can finally start hosting those swingers key parties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Erm, no it's not.

Erm why not? You're sharing a house with other adults are you not? Would you try it if you were living with another family member, doubt it!

I don't agree with this argument. What you pay full whack for independant living should not be charged at home. I wouldn't charge my kids that.

I would charge them double that.

Teach them to man the fuck up, get out from under the missus' apron strings & stop looking for bitty everytime they feel a bit needy.

Kids need to be taught independence.

Otherwise they'll grow up to be man babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Think it depends on what you're earning, if you're making anything close to a livable wage 50 a week seems pretty low to me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Not to mention he's cramping his parent's style. They're probably raising the rent to make it more attractive for him to move out so they can finally start hosting those swingers key parties!

I was actually going to mention this :D

No..seriously, its not easy for parents now either. Offspring springing back!

Thats another story tho..

Erm why not? You're sharing a house with other adults are you not? Would you try it if you were living with another family member, doubt it!
    So you think someone should be paying the same per month as if they were renting their own one bedroom apartment including all bills?

You're probably talking between 700-1000 per month at best. You think the OP, or in fact anyone sharing with adults, should be handing over a grand per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Fucking hell.

So this is where my tax dollars go... to fund layabouts living with mammy & getting their dinners cooked for them?

And I used to think that social welfare was for the purposes of helping the needy.

If it makes you feel any better 100euro per week goes on paying for my degree.:D

Just me and Dad at home, I pay €400/month. Fair to both of us I reckon. I shared a house in Galway recently enough and that would have been costing me about the same every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

I always paid my parents rent when I lived at home. I paid £40 per week (that was before the euro came in)

I know several who didnt pay anything, always thought that was a bit miserly of them to be honest.

But you could fill up the kerosene tank occasionally, or pay the odd bill, even buy the bread and milk sometimes, or the odd bag of coal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement