Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting prehung frames

• 31-12-2010 2:37am
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

to fit 11 prehung frames. Doorkits came complete with locks hinges etc. Only need the frames installed. no archritrave etc. Old frames are out and new ones fit in at the bottom ok but are very tight on top so would need to take maybe 3mm plaster from each side of the door opening or would need to plane this from the top of the door frame. was quoted 660 euro plus 20 euro per day travelling fee from an unemployed carpenter. cash in hand. Is this a bit high?only working a 3 day week lately so might have a go myself.Is there anything I should be aware of? How should I fix them to the wall and are there any tricks for keeping everything plumb an square.Door saddles are nailed to the bottom to keep all square but i dont need these.

tks a lot

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

€660 is pricey enough for pre hung doors, where is the job :D

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

thanks Tony,

its out the country in county galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

johneym wrote: »
    thanks Tony,

its out the country in county galway.

its a bit rough of a price for prehungs especially if hes unemployed. giving him work means normal working carpenters lose out as they have to pay this mans dole as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

1chippy wrote: »
    its a bit rough of a price for prehungs especially if hes unemployed. giving him work means normal working carpenters lose out as they have to pay this mans dole as well
    Hope your not referring to me as i am a carpenter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

johneym wrote: »
    to fit 11 prehung frames. Doorkits came complete with locks hinges etc. Only need the frames installed. no archritrave etc. Old frames are out and new ones fit in at the bottom ok but are very tight on top so would need to take maybe 3mm plaster from each side of the door opening or would need to plane this from the top of the door frame. was quoted 660 euro plus 20 euro per day travelling fee from an unemployed carpenter. cash in hand. Is this a bit high?only working a 3 day week lately so might have a go myself.Is there anything I should be aware of? How should I fix them to the wall and are there any tricks for keeping everything plumb an square.Door saddles are nailed to the bottom to keep all square but i dont need these.

tks a lot

John

That sounds steep!! Thats 66 quid a kit, Id say if he got 50 each he'd be onto a good thing! As for workin carpenters losing out thats beside the point completely, for all you know he may not be claiming the dole!! I was out of work for a while and i was on 3 days a week and I didnt sign on at all I just did whatever foxers i could get.

• Advertisement
Advertisement