Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 7 32bit to 64bit upgrade HELP

Options
  • 31-12-2010 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to put this.....

Basically i have a fully legal win7 64bit ultimate upgrade that i want to install. At the moment i have 32bit ultimate on my machine, can i do a custom install over that or do i have to do a fresh install?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nope, not possible.. gonna have to do a clean install im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

better off with a clean install anyways, things will run smoother, just be sure to back everything up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Thanks for the replies lads

Sigh....the thouht of having to back everything up and go looking for drivers means this one will be on the long finger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

drivers are very easy to find, and win 7 x64 comes with most of what you need anyway.

as for backing up, why not just partition your drive, make enough space to move all your files over to it, then install on the other partition and your sorted.

shouldnt take more than 2 hours max.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Actually, what's the install size of Windows 7 ? (if there's a difference, 32 bit :P )

Planning the upgrade myself from Win Xp :pac: :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Actually, what's the install size of Windows 7 ? (if there's a difference, 32 bit :P )

Planning the upgrade myself from Win Xp :pac: :o

install size is about 5.9 - 6gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

drivers are very easy to find, and win 7 x64 comes with most of what you need anyway.

as for backing up, why not just partition your drive, make enough space to move all your files over to it, then install on the other partition and your sorted.

shouldnt take more than 2 hours max.

That might be the way forward yeah, i dono what way im going to go about it yet. I might just use the real key i have to verify the win7 i already have, lets just say it may not be above board, strictly speaking. Cough.

Advertisement