Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alleged Taxi Race Row

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

digme wrote: »
    Do you have to be white to be racist?lol the Japanese are the most racist nation on earth. you need to get out more

lol you need to read the posts you comment on a bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

charlemont wrote: »
    When so much intelligence has been lost to emigration, you get a higher proportion of thicko's left in Ireland, that in itself explains some of the racism, the rest can be explained by sheer ignorance and bitterness...

Well, I'm officially depressed.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

smokedeels wrote: »
    I just want to get from point A to point B and I'll pay the man for it, I think your expectations are a little high and if you have a complaint it's with the folks handing out the licences.

I agree, my complaint is with the Regulator.
    The regulator should firstly be split up on a regional level (Dublin Metropolitan Area, Cork Met Area, then say by county.

A London style system should be developed. All cars of standard make, model and colour (London cabs or similar). Numerous garages should be established on a co-op basis (subsidised by the council) with which drivers would pay a annual fee to include all servicing and sundry costs (excl tyres and wear and tear.

Fares should have a maximum per mile or minute so that firms could compete with lower rates. Increase competition in the market.

Ranks should be shrunk and moved immediately out of conservation areas (namely Foster Place, which has been visually destroyed by taxis parking up, and note the Molly Malone rank which regularly overflows in the loading bay/double yellows although this is mostly a police failing!).

anyway just my thoughts... I'll let ye all get back to your racism.

Einhard wrote: »

Logic, Reading Comprehension, Racism.

spot the odd one out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

RichieC wrote: »
    You can't argue with that kind of bigotry.. you meet some people who are racist without realising it, they just kinda are, but that guy is fully embracing his hatred.
    However you seem to be still blinkered into believing this modern Multicultural sh!t and have convinced yourself that you are a 'Good Person' because you can rationalise your prejudices, Racism Swings both ways, the inclusion and exclusion of people or groups based on your Perceptions of them is Racist, you may say you hate White suprecemacists, thats still Racism against a subset of the White Race
    Mockery and social exile is the only way to deal with it.
    yes because the vast majority of people Really want to be Just like you:rolleyes:

However you seem to be still blinkered into believing this modern Multicultural sh!t nad have convinced youself that you are a 'Good Person' because you can rationalise your prejudices, Racisim Swings both ways, the inclusion and exclusion of people or groupsbased on your Perceptions of them is Racist, you may say you hate White suprecemacists, thats still Racisim against a subset of the White Race

yes because the vast majority of people Really want to be Just like you:rolleyes:

Do you know me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If you think every race is the same well that infact makes you an ignorant racist - Each race has strengths and weaknesses and maybe driving isnt one of the black races strengths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

next time you use the phrase redneck try use it in a negative way as you basically called mahatma a legend who doesn't bow to kings or queens. ie someone with a backbone and morals.

Do you know me?

well, you Presume to know everything about my attitude outlook and opinion from one post, so

sauce for the Goose....

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If you think every race is the same well that infact makes you an ignorant racist - Each race has strengths and weaknesses and maybe driving isnt one of the black races strengths!
    exactly and when you point that out the poor children throw a tantrum.

well, you Presume to know everything about my attitude outlook and opinion from one post, so

sauce for the Goose....

You painted a Picasso, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Oranage2 wrote: »

That school of thought was largely dismissed post-WWII. It's frightening if you believe that stuff.

You painted a Picasso, mate.
    what's the taxi situation like in iraq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Dey tuk irr jiiiibs!"

smokedeels wrote: »
    That school of thought was largely dismissed post-WWII. It's frightening if you believe that stuff.
    wrong

• Advertisement

All are not Equal, anyone who trys to convince themselves that All people are equal and the same hasnt really spent much time inthe real world.
    what this also leads to is the fact that a lot of the old national stereotypes are very true to form.

All are not Equal, anyone who trys to convince themselves that All people are equal and the same hasnt really spent much time inthe real world.
    what this also leads to is the fact that a lot of the old national stereotypes are very true to form.

We might not all be the same, but unfortunately for the bigots we are all equal :)

However you seem to be still blinkered into believing this modern Multicultural sh!t and have convinced yourself that you are a 'Good Person' because you can rationalise your prejudices, Racism Swings both ways, the inclusion and exclusion of people or groups based on your Perceptions of them is Racist, you may say you hate White suprecemacists, thats still Racism against a subset of the White Race

I don't believe in multi-culturalism. And I'm not racist. They're not mutually exclusive.
    next time you use the phrase redneck try use it in a negative way as you basically called mahatma a legend who doesn't bow to kings or queens. ie someone with a backbone and morals.

I did use it in a negative way.

Not all people are the same. But all people have the potential to achieve the same things. It's circumstances of birth and upbringing that determine a person's character, not the colour of their skin. Hence, you're a an embittered racist and Barack Obama is the most powerful man in the world!

Especially the Australian one unfortunately.

Barack Obama is the most powerful man in the world!

just wanna make him read that again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

But it's not personal abuse.

It is and was.
    It's a description of his character as witnessed through his post.

No, for instance: saying some has bigoted views and mornic views are far different than saying someone is a bigot and a moron.

Some people don't see the difference in the two, I am not one of those people.

That does not mean that the person is not a moron and/or a bigot mind you, just that I feel it far different to attack someone's views, than attacking the person themselves.
    A negative comment on someone's character need not always be characterised as personal abuse.

Depends how it is phrased.

Calling someone: "ignorant, crass, hateful, spiteful, dyspeptic, ill-educated, moronic, small-minded, red-necked little man" is personal abuse as it does not address the point of view expressed.

Again, all of the above may very well be true and I understand someone making these comments based on the views expressed, but it is still attacking the poster and not the post.

• Advertisement

Einhard Martin Luther King is the tea party's hero , any idea why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Barack Obama is not black.

He is mixed race, his mother is white.

Nite

Barack Obama is in his Arse the Most Powerful man in the World
    the JEWS who Control Obama, now they're powerful,, Obama's just a Dancing Golliwog Puppet Wheeled out to make the AMericans think they are an Inclusive society with the capacity to make 'Daring' choices.

the JEWS who Control Obama, now they're powerful,, Obama's just a Dancing Golliwog Puppet Wheeled out to make the AMericans think they are an Inclusive society with the capacity to make 'Daring' choices.

Classic

Because they found out on wikipedia that he was infact a Republican?

OutlawPete wrote: »
    It is and was.

No, for instance: saying some has bigoted views and mornic views are far different than saying someone is a bigot and a moron.

Ummm, not to me. A person is defined by his character. Character is generally defined by views, opinions, and outlook on life. If said views and opinions are ill-informed, moronic and spiteful, then so is the character, and so is the person.
    Some people don't see the difference in the two, I am not one of those people.

Well that's because you're only a ....:D

That does not mean that the person is not a moron and/or a bigot mind you, just that I feel it far different to attack someone's views, than attacking the person themselves.

I wasn't attacking anyone! I was offering a description of his character, a description which you don't seem to disagree with. Would you object if I said that Hitler was an anti-semitic, ignorant little man? Or that Fred Phelps was a fundamentalist, hateful lunatic? I really don't see your issue with this. I'm not trying to shut Mahatma up; I'm not attacking him; I'm describing him as he revealed himself in his posts.

Calling someone: "ignorant, crass, hateful, spiteful, dyspeptic, ill-educated, moronic, small-minded, red-necked little man" is personal abuse as it does not address the point of view expressed.

But it describes not only his POV, but his character. Again, description, not an attack.
    Again, all of the above may very well be true and I understand someone making these comments based on the views expressed, but it is still attacking the poster and not the post.

It was neither an attack on the person or his comments, but a description of both. I'm sorry, but I find it strange that people should refrain from stating what they find to be negative aspects of others for fear of it being defined as a personal attack.

Ummm, no he's not the Tea Party's hero. The Tea Party is a fairly disparate group, and he may be revered by some of them, but certainly not all.

Well, looks like my initial comments have been confounded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So has anyone bothered reading the original post?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

enjoy your holiday

Because they found out on wikipedia that he was infact a Republican?
    nah they're afraid of their lives that they would get labelled a racist organisation, so they picked a racist, communist as they're hero,you couldn't make this stuff up,it's hilarious.

• Advertisement

nah they're afraid of their lives that they would get labelled a racist organisation, so they picked a racist, communist as they're hero,you couldn't make this stuff up,it's hilarious.

Sounds made up, I prefer my excuse, because he was a republican. besides, Glenn beck pimped some of his sound bites, all the baggers listen to his madness.

Ummm, no he's not the Tea Party's hero. The Tea Party is a fairly disparate group, and he may be revered by some of them, but certainly not all.

Well, looks like my initial comments have been confounded...
    well that's what they need the media to believe.

Sounds made up, I prefer my excuse, because he was a republican. besides, Glenn beck pimped some of his sound bites, all the baggers listen to his madness.
    glenn becks is on some serious drugs.

glenn becks is on some serious drugs.

He's off the crack and gargles now, on the mormonism..or something, never took it meself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

ARE THE ALCOHOLICS STILL ROLLING ON GALWAYS STREETS

haha ,

well that's what they need the media to believe.

Thank God we have the likes of you and Mahatma here to keep us informed of what's really happening though...

Thank God we have the likes of you and Mahatma here to keep us informed of what's really happening though...
    beats talking to uneducated people who slot into a nice little box of fear.

theres another group I have an unending supply of contempt for

The Religious,

Keep your Beliefs in Sky Fairys to yourself thanks, they have no place in Rational debate

• Advertisement

Ummm, not to me. A person is defined by his character. Character is generally defined by views, opinions, and outlook on life. If said views and opinions are ill-informed, moronic and spiteful, then so is the character, and so is the person.

None of the above contradicts what I am saying.

Of course a person can SOMETIMES be defined by their character, but on Boards.ie (thankfully) the rules here give users the benefit of the doubt that they are not defined by every single view they express and so we have the stance of attacking the post and not the user.
    I wasn't attacking anyone!

Whether you like it or not, you did.
    .. a description which you don't seem to disagree with.

Please pay very close attention to my posts:
    You should have a better argument against such bitter hateful comments, than to resort to personal abuse.

Otherwise, you just become as bad as that which you are complaining about.

Again, all of the above may very well be true and I understand someone making these comments based on the views expressed.

Does that sound like I disagree with your description?
    Would you object if I said that Hitler was an anti-semitic, ignorant little man?

Hitler was a mass murderer and there can be no disputing that. As far as I know - the user you abused is not.
    I really don't see your issue with this.

I just don't see the point in name calling when someone's views are better attacked.
    Again, description, not an attack.

Yours was, this ..

".. ignorant, crass, hateful, spiteful, dyspeptic, ill-educated, moronic, small-minded, red-necked little man!!"

.. is all personal abuse.

His comments were crass, hateful, spiteful, ill-educated, small minded and moronic - but to suggest that these words are WHAT he is, is personal abuse.
    It was neither an attack on the person or his comments, but a description of both.

Oh please, you called him a "Red-necked little man" :p
    He's comments are racist, without question but he doesn't deny that.

Exactly and how could he.
    I'm sorry, but I find it strange that people should refrain from stating what they find to be negative aspects of others for fear of it being defined as a personal attack.

Attack the post, not the poster.

If you think your way is better, go and have a browse around YouTube and see if you find any healthy debates.

Attack the post, not the poster.

If you think your way is better, go and have a browse around YouTube and see if you find any healthy debates.

All due respect Pete, I think I'll stay here if you don't mind. You may disagree with me, but that's what it's all about. I think the poster is racist. The poster admitted as much himself. Now, I think to judge someone on the colour of the skin is small-minded, ignorant, ill-educated, moronic, and all the other adjectives I used. I think anyone who subscribes to that view is all of those adjectives. Now, you might think otherwise, and that's your perogative. We'll just have to agree to disagree on it.

All due respect Pete, I think I'll stay here and debate.

I never suggested that you shouldn't.

What I said was take a look at YouTube (and the like) where personal abuse goes unmoderated and see if you can find any decent debated in that atmosphere.
    You may disagree with me ..

I don't "disagree" with you, you are still not taking the point.

I think many people on this forum are assholes in real life (I'm sure many think the same of me) but that does not mean we should be able to call each other that, as it does no good and all it can ever lead to us a slanging match.
    I think the poster is racist. The poster admitted as much himself. Now, I think to judge someone on the colour of the skin is small-minded, ignorant, ill-educated, moronic, and all the other adjectives I used.

As do I, which is why I said his "views" were " bitter hateful comments".
    I think anyone who subscribes to that view is all of those adjectives.

You "think" it yes, but that does not give you the right to call someone "Red-necked little man".
    Now, you might think otherwise, and that's your perogative.

Again, I DON'T think otherwise, please take this point - I won't be repeating it.

Namecalling does not add to debate, why not just attack the content of a users post/posts and not the poster themselves?

The poiint is tho, You still Judge people too, albeit you like to pretend that your prejudices are acceptable, but you are just as prejudiced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The thread was about Galway

When I lived in Galway I lived in Gleann Rua, Cúirt na Rasaí and Glasán as some examples. Sometimes went to Doughishka also as it was a nearby shop.

And tbh, a lot of Irish drivers would have issues with the names :rolleyes: Where?? Repeat that will ya??
    They wouldn't recognize the name or fail to understand it. West of Ireland how are ya

I don't expect a driver to know every estate but Galway isn't big and these are among the three largest student estates for GMIT. Lot of taxi fares and business.

And I won't forget the Irish drivers who gave me abuse for taking a taxi from Eyre Sq to the Hunstman.

I don't know a whole lot about Dublin or other cities. But I can say there was a lot of queuing many days and nights in Galway for a taxi
    Bad times :(

And when I worked in a hotel on westside and got a taxi back to Ballybrit I'd have the Big O driver telling me his tell of woe. Like I care, I just did a 14 shift in Ardilaun for minimum wage....
    Some were gentlemen and a pleasure to get a drive with, most were a shower of moaners.
    This wasn't that long ago but it was before mass immigration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Have to admit that I've had a few very poor experiences with black / African taxi drivers in the past, 2 of them wouldn't get off the phone, even though I was telling them they need to take the next left or whatever they just kept talking on the phone and completely ignored me, one of them got real thick when I told him flat out that he'd done a circle of Dublin to get me home and that he was getting a tenner and nothing more, that made him get off the phone fairly sharpish!

I don't think this debate / argument comes down to black or white taxi drivers as recently my girlfriend got in a taxi with an eastern European driver who didn't know how to get to Shelbourne Park dog track (Dublin), she ended up asking folk out the window if they knew the way (she's from Offaly and not familiar with the area) to get there.

So I think in reality they should introduce rules here similar to London, you need to spend a couple of years getting to know all the streets before you're granted your licence, and have to take a test to prove you know where you're going.

• Advertisement

I never suggested that you shouldn't.

What I said was take a look at YouTube (and the like) where personal abuse goes unmoderated and see if you can find any decent debated in that atmosphere.

I don't "disagree" with you, you are still not taking the point.

I think many people on this forum are assholes in real life (I'm sure many think the same of me) but that does not mean we should be able to call each other that, as it does no good and all it can ever lead to us a slanging match.

As do I, which is why I said his "views" were " bitter hateful comments".

You "think" it yes, but that does not give you the right to call someone "Red-necked little man".

Again, I DON'T think otherwise, please take this point - I won't be repeating it.

Namecalling does not add to debate, why not just attack the content of a users post/posts and not the poster themselves?

Right, so you think as I do, but just don't think it should be said out loud. Point taken. Not sure if I'll heed it though. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm not racist, I actually hate all taxi drivers with a vengeful undying rage. Rip off merchants the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nevore wrote: »
    Rip off merchants the lot of them.

Taxi regulator sets the fare
    If anyone is getting ripped off in a town/city you know then it's your own fault

You have to speak up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My favorite are eastern European drivers. Car always in good nick, can drive in snow and best of all they stfu, drive fast and don't expect a tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

The poiint is tho, You still Judge people too, albeit you like to pretend that your prejudices are acceptable, but you are just as prejudiced.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of the word prejudice.

PRE --- JUDICE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejudice

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/prejudice

Judging someone based on their ACTIONS and WORDS is not prejudice. Here, let me simplify it a little further...

Saying that black people are bad drivers is prejudice because you are making a judgement on their ability to drive based on the color of their skin, two completely unrelated things. And despite all your anecdotes there is zero scientific data to support this view. If there is, feel free to link it here.

On the other hand, calling you a racist and judging you based on that isn't prejudicial in the least because you have a) accepted that you are a racist and b) acted like one.

Still, I want to thank you and digme for utterly exposing yourselves and your true characters to the general boards population.

• Advertisement
Advertisement