Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alleged Taxi Race Row

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I AM a Racist, I dont have a rational explanation for it other than I am Racist, if I see a Black/Indian Taxidriver I will just wait for the next one,

In fairness yid be waiting a while. Ive been in Oz two years and had about four Aussie taxi drivers.
    if A Black person asked me something in a Bar ore somewhere I would Ignore them, because I have no particular interest in talking to that person, .

Fcuking hell! Well, you would fit in well with Aussies, who, as anyone who has been here knows, hate absoloutely everyone bar the Irishs, but cmon like, and Im the most un PC you can get.

In answer to the original thread question, in general Ive found foreign drivers are less likely to know the way and more likely to try scam you (Ive had twice in Dublin when Nigerian lads tried to "forget" my change after handing a note because they thought I was so pissed I wouldnt notice I was entitled to any), and if you argue foreign drivers are less shifty than Irish you are having a laugh.

edit-
    Barack Obama is in his Arse the Most Powerful man in the World
    the JEWS who Control Obama, now they're powerful,, Obama's just a Dancing Golliwog Puppet Wheeled out to make the AMericans think they are an Inclusive society with the capacity to make 'Daring' choices.

You are either drunk, ripping the piss (if so, well done :) ) or more retarded than that guy Mandrake on the Australia forum*.

*:ok, fair enough, a Thalidiomide baby born in Chernoybl in the mid 80s fathered by Peter Griffin is less retarded than him, but you know where Im coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

RichieC wrote: »
    I live in Ireland, I don't need a research paper to tell me how much racism there is knocking around, it's a fking disgrace.

Yes, on both sides of the "colour line."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Taxi regulator sets the fare
    If anyone is getting ripped off in a town/city you know then it's your own fault

You have to speak up
    Taxi regulator doesn't tell them to take circuitous routes when the customer doesn't know their way around etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't like the proposed first come, first served.

The fare is set by the regulator so if some driver with a smelly heap of junk is first in the queue, i'd rather skip him for the driver with the clean merc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I think it's ironic that both sides of this arguement are trying to win some sort of moral ground and curry favour with the public....many Taxi drivers have attempted too many times through the years to diddle the fare when I get in to their cab..(I live quite a journey from the city)

...these days the shoe is on the other foot...I offer a set price that I think is fare...I then tout my business to clean, well cared for, modern cars (4/5 years old or less)-..it usually takes me 40 seconds or less to get a fare this way...no more rip-off, no more "I have to charge you what's on the meter (they dont')"...they don't have to take my business at my quoted price, but someone invariably does...

...as long as the customer is not affected by their childish bickering, I couldn't care less about either side at this point....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Barack Obama is in his Arse the Most Powerful man in the World
    the JEWS who Control Obama, now they're powerful,, Obama's just a Dancing Golliwog Puppet Wheeled out to make the AMericans think they are an Inclusive society with the capacity to make 'Daring' choices.

Mel Gibson, that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hogzy wrote: »
    Local taxi drivers know the roads better than foreigners... That is a fact.
    In Leixlip, two of the "foreigners" are locals. Some of the Irish are blow-ins, who I have to direct to the estate.
    Frank Okonkwo, Chris Okeke and Terry Loko, of Progressive Friends Taxi Association Galway, suggest that the legislation of the cab rank rule has to be reviewed. The choice to choose a taxi at random in taxi ranks seriously breaches the common practice of first come, first served, and such undermines freedom of equal opportunities in a democratic, civilised and advanced country such as Ireland, which has welcomed cultural diversity.
    The choice to choose a taxi at random is mine to make.
    smokedeels wrote: »
    I've seen people actively refuse to get into a cars driven by somebody who is visibly not "Irish", it's a disgrace, not a nice thing to witness at all.
    I've seen taxis refuse to drive to certain north Dublin suburbs. Disgraceful, I tell ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Meh. I could not care what colour skin a taxi driver has, or where he or she is from.

As long as the taxi is clean, they are as polite to me as I am to them, and they get me to where I want to go without ripping me off, then it does not matter a jot where they are from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If you think every race is the same well that infact makes you an ignorant racist - Each race has strengths and weaknesses and maybe driving isnt one of the black races strengths!

Jebus H. Christ, I cannot believe this post.

Clearly, having a fat arse, moaning at your passengers and being able to drive around Dublin City is the next evolutionary step for the human race, onwards and upwards Darwinians!

I'm from Dublin and HATE getting Irish taxi drivers, the whinging that comes out of them is unreal, and then at the end of this little counselling session I have to hand them 20 euros. The iPod is a beautiful thing my friends, get in the backseat and ignore everything until you get to your destination.

PS - who cares if anyone (Irish or other) uses a Sat Nav? What difference does it make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I think its nice to have a chat with different people from different cultures when in the taxi, passes the time especially when in traffic.

Had an Irish guy the other day, OMG he was the biggest moan, just separated from his wife and in need of a counselling section. His language and tone was so abusive about her, really OTT, like I really need to hear that, especially as I told him as my baby was sick in the creche and just wanted to get there to take him to the doc. If I ever see him again will bypass his taxi:D In fairness Most taxi drivesr I meet are alright, he was the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Yep, I would just keep thinking
    Jayant Patel, Jayent Patel, ALARM, if I was actually aware at the time I would request a different Doctor

I'm a nurse, I see this happening a lot. Unfortunately most people don't even have the decency to ask nicely, particularly in the Emergency Department when alcohol has been consumed. I've heard people roaring some of the most shocking abuse, in anticipation of being treated by a black doctor before they even know who they'll be assessed/treated by.

I agree with the poster who prefers to travel in a more comfortable car and I do take exception to some foreign drivers using sat nav which sometimes brings you a longer (more profitable) route, and they claim ignorance then. If you're living and working in a city the very least you can do is make the effort to get to know it well. Having said that, I did get caught by an opportunistic Irish FVCKER in Galway last year on race week. He copped that we, the passengers were not Galwegians by our accents, and we'd had a few drinks too so he tried to pull a fast one on us. I twigged immediately what he was at, gave him a piece of my mind, asked him to stop and we walked the rest of the way rather than give in to him and his greed (particularly as he had given us the whole "the Nigerians have business ruined on us" sob story.)

I'm sorry but since when did having a sat nav become essential? In London, to become a taxi driver you have to know the routes off by heart and you are quizzed as such. I've had both Irish and Foreign taxi drivers not know how to get to a certain destination, both Irish and Foreign taxi drivers have attempted to rip me off by taking a needlessly long route and both Irish and Foreign taxi drivers have talked my ear off about stuff I really couldn't give a toss about.

They're all bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I do take exception to some foreign drivers using sat nav which sometimes brings you a longer (more profitable) route, and they claim ignorance then.
    I'm sorry but since when did having a sat nav become essential? In London, to become a taxi driver you have to know the routes off by heart and you are quizzed as such. I've had both Irish and Foreign taxi drivers not know how to get to a certain destination, both Irish and Foreign taxi drivers have attempted to rip me off by taking a needlessly long route and both Irish and Foreign taxi drivers have talked my ear off about stuff I really couldn't give a toss about.

They're all bad.

You do realise if you have a prefered route, the taxi driver is oblidged to take it, right?

You do realise if you have a prefered route, the taxi driver is oblidged to take it, right?

Which is why when I notice them take the long route, I tell them so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

shouldnt we be allowed to choose what taxi we get into?

for instance i dont get into ''bangers'' or cabs that are manky when they come to pick you up :)

as far as race goes....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

old_aussie wrote: »
    Is that the same version of freedom (or your own special version), that also gives Mahatma coat the right to his opinion.

Everyone in Australia has the right to his own opinion, whether you like it or not!

Do they also have the right to go around beating up Muslims or is that just something you do irrespective of its legality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm not racist but when i see an irish taxi driver I don't get in cause normally they stink of BO and give some sort of sob story of how there's no business and that there are too many taxis, I'd rather jump into a foreign taxi, they might/might not be able to drive in the snow and the may or may not try rape me but atleast i can chat about Chelsea/Arsenal with them!

pc brigade at its very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

drdeadlift wrote: »
    pc brigade at its very best.

We have our own truck with sirens and everything these days. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Years of Government largesse has spawned a ' Racism Industry ' in this country - anyone got any ideas how many publically funded organisations spout nonsense about racism ? I can count 5 off the top of my head and doubtless there are more.
    I have never seen /witnessed racism in any form in this country , I don't belive it exists - I believe it is a myth peddled by various groups to justify their continued existence and generous taxpayer funding :mad:

• Advertisement

delancey42 wrote: »
    Years of Government largesse has spawned a ' Racism Industry ' in this country - anyone got any ideas how many publically funded organisations spout nonsense about racism ? I can count 5 off the top of my head and doubtless there are more.
    I have never seen /witnessed racism in any form in this country , I don't belive it exists - I believe it is a myth peddled by various groups to justify their continued existence and generous taxpayer funding :mad:

this

Really? You're seriously convinced that there is no racism in Ireland at all and that it is somehow, miraculously, not prone to the same problems of prejudice and small-mindedness that is evident in any other country in the world? What makes Ireland so special that we're all so magnanimous?

Millicent wrote: »
    Really? You're seriously convinced that there is no racism in Ireland at all and that it is somehow, miraculously, not prone to the same problems of prejudice and small-mindedness that is evident in any other country in the world? What makes Ireland so special that we're all so magnanimous?

There is a certain amount of racism in every country in the world.We don't have an exceptionally bad amount in Ireland to warrant what delancy mentions.
    The anti racist brigade are outnumbering the racists in Ireland,

There is a certain amount of racism in every country in the world.We don't have an exceptionally bad amount in Ireland to warrant what delancy mentions.

But as someone else mentioned, there is a research paper on the taxi drivers' situation to say otherwise.

I wouldn't say that Ireland is the worst country for racism by any means, but I'm also not so foolhardy to believe that because I don't see much of it, it's not out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Millicent wrote: »

What makes Ireland so special in that without different races, racism is not really going to be an issue

Its only really the last 10/15 years that immigrants have come to this country in significant numbers, and that many of the cities have become somewhat multi-cultural. As more immigrants have arrived, the issue of different races arised where it hadent before. Attitudes and prejudices take time to cultivate, and thats what I believe is happening now

The reason racism was not an issue here 20 yrs ago is because there was only one race here. Now that we are a multirace society, racism has become an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Regardless of the number of ineffectual interest groups, he said racism doesn't exist in this country which is obviously not true. I have witnessed countless acts of racism; from taxi drivers, random strangers, friends and yes, even other "foreigners". On occasion I've even had to step in because things were getting out of hand.

It may not be as bad as some countries, but it is a fact that racism does exist in this country.

Edit: Surely the bolded part is a good thing?

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Regardless of the number of ineffectual interest groups, he said racism doesn't exist in this country which is obviously not true. I have witnessed countless acts of racism; from taxi drivers, random strangers, friends and yes, even other "foreigners". On occasion I've even had to step in because things were getting out of hand.

It may not be as bad as some countries, but it is a fact that racism does exist in this country.

Edit: Surely the bolded part is a good thing?

Sounds like you witnessed an argument,people fight all the time.Racism is just wired into mankind there aint nothing we can do.For the record im not racist its just there isnt changing peoples view on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Im sick and tired of whingeing taxi drivers especially those who want a moratorium on the number of taxi drivers. Who the hell do they think they are? Tahts would be like the major supermarkets calling for a moratorium on the number of new shops that could open.

Essentially taxi drovering is an unskilled easy job that pretty much anybody can do so I don't see why they should really earn more than the minimum wage.

The solution that comes to mind is what every other business is doing in the recession - drop the price and offer significant discounts. If I went a taxi rank and there was a long queue and the car at the back had a 40% discount sign then Id hop into that car regardless of colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sounds like you witnessed an argument,people fight all the time.Racism is just wired into mankind there aint nothing we can do.For the record im not racist its just there isnt changing peoples view on it.

I did not witness an argument. I witnessed a scumbag abuse several Chinese people who worked in an Abrakebabra, on a street for "taking his job" (doubt he'd ever worked a day in his life & apparently he was just upset because he was being sent to prison for thieving :rolleyes: ). I witnessed a man hurl abuse at a French guy studying here because he was black.

These are just samples by the way. Do they still sound like just arguments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

There are no Gays in Iran!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

taxi drivers area annoyed in general that theyve to work 60 hours+ per week to get a decent wage, most taxi driver have had to pay for cars, meters etc plus €6500 for a plate since deregulation and prederegulation some paid upto €70000 that I know offor a plate alone. Some of the foreign drivers are somehow passing the test while clearly not knowing the general area and there's a suspicion that theyre passing with a lower pass rate. Also most of them recieving the €6500 off social welfare to pay for their plate and a further €10000 for starting up a small/medium business.
    I know of a friend of mine who got into a taxi in the small hours to travel what would normally cost less than €10. She dozed off in the back of the taxi only to wake up to find herself in another part of Dublin with over €40 on the meter, this was with an African driver.
    Racism works both ways lets not forget.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Precisely. However, we were in the back, yapping away and the driver swung a left at the Huntsman when he should have gone straight on. I immediately asked him where he thought he was going, he began to get flustered and tried to bluff me. He didn't realise that I'd been living in Galway for a year and we were going to my brother's house, he though we were just blow-ins, down for race week and wouldn't notice if he brought us needlessly around Eyre Square, adding God knows how much to the end bill. I'll never forget his face, he was absolutely raging that he'd been caught out. We hopped out at the Sportsground and walked from there to Forster Court but we didn't care. Such greed annoys me so much!

Adyx wrote: »
    I did not witness an argument. I witnessed a scumbag abuse several Chinese people who worked in an Abrakebabra people on a street for "taking his job" (doubt he'd ever worked a day in his life & apparently he was just upset because he was being sent to prison for thieving :rolleyes: ). I witnessed a man hurl abuse at a French guy studying here because he was black.

These are just samples by the way. Do they still sound like just arguments?

Well i have witnessed this before,but look at the type of people spouting the ****e,do you think anyone really soaks up what they say?
    But if it offends you do something about it.

Dotsey wrote: »
    taxi drivers area annoyed in general that theyve to work 60 hours+ per week to get a decent wage, most taxi driver have had to pay for cars, meters etc plus €6500 for a plate since deregulation and prederegulation some paid upto €70000 that I know offor a plate alone. Some of the foreign drivers are somehow passing the test while clearly not knowing the general area and there's a suspicion that theyre passing with a lower pass rate. Also most of them recieving the €6500 off social welfare to pay for their plate and a further €10000 for starting up a small/medium business.
    I know of a friend of mine who got into a taxi in the small hours to travel what would normally cost less than €10. She dozed off in the back of the taxi only to wake up to find herself in another part of Dublin with over €40 on the meter, this was with an African driver.
    Racism works both ways lets not forget.

I couldn't give a rats ass about their skin color the natives have been given a raw deal.Is there anywhere else in the world like Ireland?

A lot of Irish taxi drivers are racists.

Hardly a shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I couldn't give a rats ass about their skin color the natives have been given a raw deal.Is there anywhere else in the world like Ireland?
    I dont think there is. Too many do-gooders in this country trying to appease everyone else rather than looking after whats on front of us first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

RichieC wrote: »
    I live in Ireland, I don't need a research paper to tell me how much racism there is knocking around, it's a fking disgrace.

No it's not. It's not a disgrace, we Irish are a very racist populous, and always were.

I am proud to be Irish and we succeeded in the USA largely for our views. We will succeed today by keeping our views and not allowing ourselves to become slaves to enforced opinions.

As for Taxiis, I used to pick and choose who and in what car I hired at a rank long before the multitude of immigrants arrived.

I stand by my right to choose!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A lot of Irish taxi drivers are racists.

Hardly a shocker.

And really does anyone give a dam?

Is racism a disease contracted from a steering wheel i wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

old_aussie wrote: »
    Is that the same version of freedom (or your own special version), that also gives Mahatma coat the right to his opinion.

Everyone in Australia has the right to his own opinion, whether you like it or not!

We have already established you are not an Aussie.

Aussies dont say stuff like "sando".

Plus whitefellas like Mahatma are few and far between these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

digme wrote: »
    nah they're afraid of their lives that they would get labelled a racist organisation, so they picked a racist, communist as they're hero,you couldn't make this stuff up,it's hilarious.

MLK a communist racist? Ye learn something new every day. Got anything to back that up?
    delancey42 wrote:
    have never seen /witnessed racism in any form in this country .

So the kind of posts that pop in threads around various Irish boards come from.....?
    gbee wrote:
    No it's not. It's not a disgrace, we Irish are a very racist populous, and always were.

I am proud to be Irish and we succeeded in the USA largely for our views.

'Well done Paddy, on keeping the gays out of your parade....'

Nodin wrote: »
    'Well done Paddy, on keeping the gays out of your parade....'

Yes, we came up with a clever solution for that one, they have their own Gay Pride week. One massive cello and all if forgotten about for the rest of the year. ;)

OH! And if it comes to a presidential vote, and David Norris runs, I'll vote for him, but not because he is gay.

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    Yes, we came up with a clever solution for that one, they have their own Gay Pride week. One massive cello and all if forgotten about for the rest of the year. ;)

Yeah.

Haha.

You do realise that if America had followed similar advice to yours about "keeping our views" in regards to catholics generally and the Irish specifically, the community over there would still be in the ghetto...?

Nodin wrote: »
    You do realise that if America had followed similar advice to yours about "keeping our views"

History shows we succeed against all the 'odds' we organised ourselves into gangs and took over NY and beat the bejeesus out of everyone.

We organised unions and showed mob bosses how to do business, one Al Capone was especially impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Back in the days when I could afford to get a taxi, the last thing I'd be concerned about would be the skin colour of the driver... It's a typically Irish trait to sit back and moan about your competitor, rather than try to up your game.

For many years, Irish taxi drivers didn't have to worry about competition in a closed market, they ran the show, and we all remember the 4 hour queues for a taxi at ranks in the City Centre before we had any foreign taxi drivers, so Paddy can go f*ck himself now is what I say.

History shows we succeed against all the 'odds' we organised ourselves into gangs and took over NY and beat the bejeesus out of everyone.

We organised unions and showed mob bosses how to do business, one Al Capone was especially impressed.

The Irish were present all over the east coast of the states, and none of that really responds to my point above now, does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

There will always be racism.
    And its not just the 'irish' - racism can even be on the africans side too.

Death. Taxes. Racism.

Is racism a disease contracted from a steering wheel i wonder

Yes it wheely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mahatma coat banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Dotsey wrote: »
    Also most of them recieving the €6500 off social welfare to pay for their plate and a further €10000 for starting up a small/medium business.
    I.

Is this really true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

we Irish are a very racist populous, and always were.

I am proud to be Irish and we succeeded in the USA largely for our views. We will succeed today by keeping our views and not allowing ourselves to become slaves to enforced opinions.

As for Taxiis, I used to pick and choose who and in what car I hired at a rank long before the multitude of immigrants arrived.

I stand by my right to choose!

And this from the same poster who was ranting and raving against Irish in a recent thread, fanatically demanding that the language be removed from every sign and street name in this state. "Irish" indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Uh-huh? And if foreign nationals were to do just this? No doubt you'd be up in arms at "the cheek of them".

This kind of cognitive dissonance is simply mind-boggling.

Advertisement