Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alleged Taxi Race Row

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For many years, Irish taxi drivers didn't have to worry about competition in a closed market, they ran the show, and we all remember the 4 hour queues for a taxi at ranks in the City Centre before we had any foreign taxi drivers, so Paddy can go f*ck himself now is what I say.
    Agreed.
    Bowlardo wrote: »
    Is this really true?
    Sounds like the "asylum seekers get free cars from the government" line you hear from racists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

4 hour queues for a taxi at ranks in the City Centre before we had any foreign taxi drivers, so Paddy can go f*ck himself now is what I say.

Your analysis of the situation is in error. This was caused by the regulator who so tightly controlled licences that a Taxi Plate was worth a whole pension retirement plan and sold for hundreds of thousands of pounds in those days.

Foreign Taxi drivers are here partly because we had a mad man running the country and wanted a multi cultural society, we were forced to accept any baby born on this island as part of the 'Good Friday' agreement so the IRA would call a ceasefire in the North.

Massive social benefits and a no questions asked approach to any foreigner who turned up and a none exportation policy.

All the above added to the Taxi situation when the regulator then decided to open up the industry and issued licences for a fiver to anyone ~ this situation is still being addressed and it's only recently been recognised that 'English' and a 'knowledge' are essential along with everything else that's 'required'.

At one time the regulator took the view that foreign Taxi drivers would provide a service to fellow foreigners so many regulations were relaxed or not enforced, now that a substantial number of foreign workers have gone to where the jobs are, the competition for essentially the 'old' market is now emflamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

the_syco wrote: »
    Agreed.

Sounds like the "asylum seekers get free cars from the government" line you hear from racists.

you know they get free "going out drinking" money too? and they get more than whites on the dole.... I've actually been told this by people...

Never read stormfront Ireland section.. it's so dam depressing to know the kind of animals we share an island with :(

Morkarleth wrote: »
    Uh-huh? And if foreign nationals were to do just this? No doubt you'd be up in arms at "the cheek of them"..

I defer to our history for an answer to that ~ talk is cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gbee wrote: »
    Foreign Taxi drivers are here partly because we had a mad man running the country and wanted a multi cultural society,

Which leader of this country was "mad"? Do you have some information to back the claims re this persons sanity? Likewise with regard to this individual having "wanted a multi cultural society".
    Massive social benefits and a no questions asked approach to any foreigner who turned up and a none exportation policy.

You can't just turn up and claim benefits.
    I defer to our history for an answer to that ~ talk is cheap

So far, you seem remarkably ignorant of our history, particularily in regard to those who went to North America. You might want to understand it before relying on it to back whatever vague point you're trying to make.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Which leader of this country was "mad"? You can't just turn up and claim benefits.

Wow, I'm mortally wounded, such a quip has slain me. You win, I hand you the prize.

Boy, I wish I grew up in your world!

I'm going to talk to my goldfish now. Have a nice day and enjoy your prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ball ---> Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Foreign Taxi drivers are here partly because we had a mad man running the country and wanted a multi cultural society, we were forced to accept any baby born on this island as part of the 'Good Friday' agreement so the IRA would call a ceasefire in the North.

What sort of nonsense is this. Until recently it was the case that anyone born on this island was Irish. It had nothing to do with the Good Friday Agreement.

Wow, I'm mortally wounded, such a quip has slain me. You win, I hand you the prize..

That wasn't a quip. What you actually quoted was a question and a statement of fact.
    Boy, I wish I grew up in your world!

I'm going to talk to my goldfish now. Have a nice day and enjoy your prize.

And thus having no answers, a facetious comment to put a brave face on a hasty retreat.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

RichieC wrote: »
    you know they get free "going out drinking" money too? and they get more than whites on the dole.... I've actually been told this by people...

I was on a bus in Galway and some old wan was saying her friend saw a black lady leave her child buggy at the stop. When this was pointed out to her so said the Social Welfare would buy her a new one.

But then I heard the same story in Limerick
    And then I read it here a few years back and the poster was in Dublin

How do these stories take off? :confused:
    Everyone tells you a friend of a friend story but nobody sees anything ever happen

• Advertisement

What sort of nonsense is this. Until recently it was the case that anyone born on this island was Irish. It had nothing to do with the Good Friday Agreement.

There was such opposition to this that we had a referendum to OVERTURN this part of the agreement.

On the subject of birthright, Ireland followed standard policies on this, until the government changed it as part of the Good Friday agreement.

The idea was for people from the North to be allowed automatic Irish Citizenship, if they so chose, however, the act did not specify this and simply read 'anyone'.

It was taken advantage of on a massive scale, the government were reluctant to bring it to referendum, but eventually did and they lost.

Everyone tells you a friend of a friend story but nobody sees anything ever happen

You can take it that ALL the stories are true and did happen. BUT, it was never widespread and individual circumstances were always taken into consideration.

A few apparently bizarre handouts came to light when other non deserving candidates applied for same and were rejected.

The cover up for this is to call them 'urban legends' but all the stories are based on real incidents which the urban populace then magnify and propagate as standard procedure when in fact they never were. Individual incidents did happen, some were errors on the department's side.

You can take it that ALL the stories are true and did happen. BUT, it was never widespread and individual circumstances were always taken into consideration.

A few apparently bizarre handouts came to light when other non deserving candidates applied for same and were rejected.

The cover up for this is to call them 'urban legends' but all the stories are based on real incidents which the urban populace then magnify and propagate as standard procedure when in fact they never were. Individual incidents did happen, some were errors on the department's side.

And you've a link to some source for this............?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The idea was for people from the North to be allowed automatic Irish Citizenship, .

People in NI are NOT (and never have been) automatically entitled to Irish citizenship solely on the grounds of having been born there.

One has to have had Irish ancestory from before partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Damn.
    Opened this thread expecting to read about an argument over the winner of a 1/4 mile drag race on the naas road.
    Disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I'll tell ya one thing, if you need booze out of hours, you may as well be speaking Manderin as asking some fat dope moany hole Paddy taxi driver to sort it for ya!

When you need a result in terms of out of hours booze for a party or something, the foreign lads know how to get it done, meanwhile you'll pass 3 ranks on your way to the party with your booze on board thanks to the taximan and you can have a laugh at the ar*sehole gullie Irish farts standing at the ranks moaning about having no work...

Having said that, there are many decent Irish taxi drivers out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I'll tell ya one thing, if you need booze out of hours, you may as well be speaking Manderin as asking some fat dope moany hole Paddy taxi driver to sort it for ya!

When you need a result in terms of out of hours booze for a party or something, the foreign lads know how to get it done, meanwhile you'll pass 3 ranks on your way to the party with your booze on board thanks to the taximan and you can have a laugh at the ar*sehole gullie Irish farts standing at the ranks moaning about having no work...

Positive racism right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

This sort of Sh!t annoys me, We have a lot of the same Problems over here in Australia with Indian taxidrivers who havent a Fuppin clue where they're going. but you are a racist if you dont want to get ripped off :confused:

WELL

I AM a Racist, I dont have a rational explanation for it other than I am Racist, if I see a Black/Indian Taxidriver I will just wait for the next one, if A Black person asked me something in a Bar ore somewhere I would Ignore them, because I have no particular interest in talking to that person, that snap judgement is made basicly on the colour of their skin, the Darker they are the less likely I am to acknowledge them, thats just me, thats the way I am, and I Say FVck off to all the bleeding hearts who want me to live my life in tolerance peace and Harmony, I DONT WANT TO, we Live in a Free society, I am Free to Hate whoever I like.

Not entirely true... You can ignore them all you wish, but if you are going to show hatred towards them because of their colour of their skin... then you are not free to do as you wish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭annoyingbeast

just as a matter of interest what political party would be most anti immigration?

Not entirely true... You can ignore them all you wish, but if you are going to show hatred towards them because of their colour of their skin... then you are not free to do as you wish ;)

That thread you quoted is truly rediculous! The most colourful and funny lads I've met driving a taxi are the lads who have just landed here and haven't a clue where they are going and you have to get out your iPhone and the map out to guide them! Then you get to haggle with them cos they didn't know where they were going! Honestly folks, we so need to chill out a bit in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:confused:

So essentially you use foreign nationals to BREAK THE LAW and complaint that the LAW ABIDING Paddy driver won't facilitate you.

There's a QED here somewhere.

So essentially you use foreign nationals to BREAK THE LAW and complaint that the LAW ABIDING Paddy driver won't facilitate you.

There's a QED here somewhere.

Funny, you were boasting about the facility the Irish showed for organised crime back here....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69806047&postcount=143

I'd say there was a QED in that little bit of doublethink, meself.

I note you still haven't answered the questions put to you earlier....

I note you still haven't answered the questions put to you earlier....

It has been answered many times, in the appropriate forum.

I'm sorry if your comprehension of the subtleties of the English language and innuendo might be giving you some trouble, but I'm not going OT with you to explain every minutia.

TAXI!!!!!

It has been answered many times, in the appropriate forum.

Really? You'll be able to link me to it then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

Galway Taxi Association, GTA, coincedence i think not -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

i'm proud to be racist. i hate white taxi drivers.

bc dub wrote: »
    i'm proud to be racist. i hate white taxi drivers.

See, this is part of the problem, as a white Irish citizen I cannot by law say this.

But a black person can. Racism laws should work both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

See, this is part of the problem, as a white Irish citizen I cannot by law say this.

How do you know this person is black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Wtf are you on about? You can hate whoever you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I just wish they'd install a mute button in the cabs so I wouldn't have to listen any of them ****ing on whining about life.

maninasia wrote: »
    I just wish they'd install a mute button in the cabs so I wouldn't have to listen any of them ****ing on whining about life.

But that's in the Taxi Academy, they're expected to whine and market research suggest that customers love it.

Morale of the story, when approached with questionnaires, answer honestly, they have no way of knowing otherwise.

Where in the legislation does it state that?

Where in the legislation does it state that?

No where, I just made it up off the cuff, I'm lying.

No where, I just made it up off the cuff, I'm lying.

O.

Why?

• Advertisement

O. Why?

It's my nature. See, the way it works is like this: I lie about something, you challenge me and lie about something and I know you are lying and you know I am lying and I know that you know that you are lying and it's the case of the best lie wins.

It's my nature. See, the way it works is like this: I lie about something, you challenge me and lie about something and I know you are lying and you know I am lying and I know that you know that you are lying and it's the case of the best lie wins.

...but I haven't been lying.

...but I haven't been lying.

I believe you. :cool:

I believe you. :cool:

...whether you do or don't is immaterial, as others would point out where I was incorrect as a matter of course.

Why do you feel compelled to lie (as you claimed to have done) about such a sensitive issue?

. Why do you feel compelled to lie (as you claimed to have done) about such a sensitive issue?

I believe I've already answered that question, except for the sensitive issue bit. You've just added this in and expanded the question.

I don't think it is a sensitive issue, I think it's a laugh. I am queuing up for a taxi, I'll wait for the one I like and get in. If more people just got the taxi they like then any issue would evaporate.

I don't see sensitivity in it at all, unless someone or group is trying to FORCE me to get into a taxi that I'd prefer not to get into.

• Advertisement

I believe I've(......) get into.

I'm referring to the race element.

I'm referring to the race element.

Then we are in agreement.

Then we are in agreement.

We aren't in agreement over anything. I ask again - why do you feel the need to lie (as you calim to have done) in relation to a serious issue (racism)?

We aren't in agreement over anything. I ask again - why do you feel the need to lie (as you calim to have done) in relation to a serious issue (racism)?

Ha ha!!

It's time I talked to my goldfish again.

I've been playing out a racist scenario with you, I've heard it a few times on the taxi ranks, it's been fun, I'm sure a few more enjoyed it too.

bye for now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I don't drive a cab

I have in the past been passed up for work by customers based on being female.

That is their choice, I can't stop them and I woudn't if I could. But you can tell yourself and others all you like that you aren't an ass or a bigot, it won't change a damn thing.

Also, like I say every time this debate comes up - if you think Irish drivers won't give you the run around, you should try getting in with an American accent.

Ha ha!!
    (.......) few more enjoyed it too.

bye for now. :)

'sad', on a number of levels.

I don't drive a cab

That is their choice, I can't stop them and I woudn't if I could. But you can tell yourself and others all you like that you aren't an ass or a bigot, it won't change a damn thing.

Also, like I say every time this debate comes up - if you think Irish drivers won't give you the run around, you should try getting in with an American accent.

Look, we all know and accept that women just can't drive. Don't take it personally! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You are either drunk, ripping the piss (if so, well done :) ) or more retarded than that guy Mandrake on the Australia forum*.

*:ok, fair enough, a Thalidiomide baby born in Chernoybl in the mid 80s fathered by Peter Griffin is less retarded than him, but you know where Im coming from.

Well if I'm so retarded why is it I got permanent residency in Australia while you will soon have to decide to go either go illegal or return to Ireland and the dole queue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Look, we all know and accept that women just can't drive. Don't take it personally! ;)

that is cutting edge humour there. I don't drive for a living either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

I don't drive a cab

Reminds me of the common held belief between taxi drivers...
    Alot wont pick up a woman on their own after then have been on a night out. Its sad but its happened where the woman has fell asleep, couldnt be woken up by vocal means (that drunk) then the taxi driver shook them only to be accused of attempted rape.

Its screwed up. I know thats nothing with what you are referring too. But just reminds me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement