Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A return to Craggy Island - New Year's Day - Channel 4

Options
  • 31-12-2010 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

A nice article penned by Arthur Mathews.

---

The Irish Times - Friday, December 31, 2010
    A return to Craggy Island

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/1231/1224286538617.html
    Small, Far Away: The World of Father Ted is on Channel 4 on New Year’s Day at 10.05pm as part of the station’s Father Ted night, which begins at 9pm

EDIT: Available on 4OD until the end of January 2011.

Small, Far Away - The World of Father Ted (49 mins)
    10.05PM Saturday 01 Jan 2011 Channel 4
    29 Days LEFT

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/father-ted/4od#3150032

Fifteen years ago, ARTHUR MATHEWS and Graham Linehan gave the world Father Ted. While filming a documentary, they returned to the comedy’s home. Is the parochial house still standing, is the lovely horse alive and just where did their inspiration come from?

DURING THE summer, while filming a documentary about Father Ted , Graham and I went back to Co Clare for the first time since we stopped filming there in 1998. We drove around the locality, visiting some of the locations which hardcore fans of the show would probably be familiar with. In Kilfenora, the roundabout (not a real one – but lovingly manufactured by the show’s art department) which Dougal drove around and around in order to give Ted time to come up with a way of defusing the ticking time bomb on board his milk cart, still exists. It now rests at the other end of the town, outside Vaughan’s pub, where we also filmed some scenes, and went for the odd drink or two at the end of the day.

Strangely, it’s not the fake roundabout’s final resting place. Once a year it’s taken out for the St Patrick’s Day Parade, where, suitably, it’s marched around, before being returned to its central location outside Vaughan’s. The “Auld Circle” is now a decade and a half old, and in need of some repair. (“Save Kilfenora’s Father Ted roundabout!”)

We also returned to the caravan park near Lahinch which we used in an episode called “Hell”, where Ted, Dougal and Jack go on holidays and end up staying in a tiny caravan with a Youth Group under the “care” of mega-eejit and folk-singing obsessive Father Noel Furlong, played by Graham Norton. (Father Noel was based on a real-life priest encountered by my friend and occasional collaborator Paul Woodfull during his youth-club days. This uber-enthusiastic cleric was very excitable and said things like: “God, I went mad last night! I mustn’t have got home until about half ten!”)

Very strangely, most of the youngsters we met in the caravan park seemed to know that Father Ted had been filmed there. We met a very nice lady and her dog (the dog, I’ve been told, has sadly died since). She told us she had spent her holidays in the caravan park for almost two decades and knew the exact location of the caravan.

We continued on our trek back to our base at Ennistymon, where the cast and crew used to stay at the Falls Hotel. In the grounds outside, along the river which runs through the town, we were reunited with the actual horse (and owner – the horse needs supervision) from the My Lovely Horse video featured in the “Song For Europe” episode. (We based the video very closely on the Swarbrigg Brothers’ promo for the very fine That’s What Friends Are For Eurovision entry from 1975.) The horse is in good shape, and I can honestly say has aged less than any of the other cast members.

Our final destination took us to the site of “the Parochial House”. A remote spot, it always seemed to take an age to drive there, and as we pulled up in our Ted-alike car (not the real one, but a similar model, apparently used by the Garda during Ronald Reagan’s visit to Ireland in 1984), the house seemed unchanged. It was a lovely day, though, sunny and warm, unlike the harsh, cold days of November when we were filming the show there. I have vivid memories of a large room in the house which boasted a huge fireplace. I remember Dermot Morgan in a large throne-like armchair which he would sit in-between scenes, chatting away, doing impressions, telling anecdotes. As the saying goes, Dermot was always “on”.

Even today, numerous visitors call to the house in search of the Spirit of Ted. They mostly congregate at the gates, although some have been known to march in, bold as brass, through the front door.

Cheryl and Patrick, who own the house, seem resigned to it all. Cheryl, a native New Yorker, does afternoon teas, which have proved popular with the stream of Ted tourists. During our visit, a family called around, and were obviously surprised to find a film crew present. Amidst the teas and buns and Ted talk, one of the junior female members of the family, probably too young to remember the show when it was first broadcast, suddenly admitted: “I just don’t get it!” It’s my favourite part of the documentary.

Later, we were joined by Frank and Ardal (Pauline, probably worn down by too many “Go on, go on, go ons” over the years, didn’t want to take part in the programme). We discussed the show, and what it meant to us, and how it had changed our lives, and we remembered Dermot, and the show’s original producer, Geoffrey Perkins, who has also since died. We owe them both a lot.

Even though we wrote 25 episodes, it’s often hard to remember how and when we came up with individual ideas. Some things do stand out, though. I had two friends who had met each other while studying at teacher training college. They had subsequently married, but even though their college days were years behind them, they had stayed in contact with a fellow student. Or rather, he had stayed in contact with them. In fact, they couldn’t shake him off. He would come and stay with them every summer, which was always a prospect they dreaded. In order to make the long, dreary days of his visit go a little faster, they would sometimes play golf.

During one stint on the fairways my friends discovered that their unwanted guest had repaid their hospitality by cheating (he’d deliberately stood on their ball). Later, in the pub, he would invariably fail to get his round in. What a rotter. My friends finally had enough of him. When he rang up one year to give them the details of his arrival later that summer, they finally cracked. “Please don’t come! We have nothing in common!” they pleaded. But the fiend wouldn’t have any of it. “Look, we’ll find something in common!” was his uncompromising response.

This story greatly amused me, so we used it as the basic idea behind “Entertaining Father Stone”, where a really boring priest (played by Michael Redmond) visits the parochial house. A lot of it is rather quiet, and not typically frantic. Nothing much happens in “Father Stone”. It’s quite a simple plot. All the “boring stuff” – Stone’s non-interaction with Ted and Dougal – was quite fun to write. We just needed a twist. Finally we came up with the idea that while out playing crazy golf Father Stone is hit by lightning, which would then mean he’d have to spend his long period of convalescence with Ted and Dougal, thus making the situation even more unbearable.

I particularly like this episode because I’m acutely aware of social awkwardness and the difficulty of talking to people you have nothing in common with. I remember once being alone in the living room with my elderly uncle, who was a rather intimidating priest based in Tullamore. (Uncle Paddy, in a long life as parish priest in rural Ireland, took many photographs of his parishioners and other priests and nuns. I’ve always loved them, and – along with a heady dose of Radharc documentaries, which, sadly, we were refused permission to use clips from in the programme – they very much formed my perceptions of priests as I was growing up.)

During this particular visit, my mother and sister were probably in the kitchen “making the tea”, so Uncle Paddy and myself were alone watching television. He was about 70 years old and spoke fluent Latin and Irish. I was working in Hot Press at the time and going through a heavy Smiths phase. We didn’t have much in common. Then, very unexpectedly, and extremely alarmingly, I became aware that what was on the television screen in front of us was Prince in concert. The impish entertainer was probably about to launch into “Sexy Mother****er”. I had better say something. However, Uncle Paddy beat me to it. “That fella there,” he said, as he stared grimly at the screen in front of us, “what the hell is going on in his mind?” I literally had no answer. But it was a funny situation.

Graham and I would sometimes come across plots or ideas when we were watching comedy programmes and reckon that it was so good it must have been something that happened in real life. You couldn’t make it up.

Graham’s mother was entertaining a guest once and left this visitor in the sitting room while she went to the kitchen to make some tea. In an adjacent room was a piano. She suddenly heard very strange, discordant music coming from the room. She didn’t know quite what was happening until she realized that a cat had leapt on to the piano, and as it scarpered across the keys, had caused the crazy piano playing. The thought then occurred to her that her guest must have thought that it was she who was responsible for the mad sound. Graham later put this into an episode of The IT Crowd. It’s a very Seinfeld moment. We were, and are, big fans of Seinfeld, and it was one of the major influences on Father Ted .

In 1996, a few months after the horrific Dunblane massacre in Scotland, someone who lived in the village wrote to us. She said that she was so shocked and upset by the atrocity she thought she’d never be able to laugh again. But, after a while, she saw an episode of Father Ted and she laughed. So she wrote to thank us.

I think that, in general, although Father Ted doesn’t appeal to everybody’s tastes (Michael Grade, the head of Channel 4, famously didn’t like the show at all), there now exists a kind of general fondness for the programme, especially in Ireland. Obviously, I don’t think older people or members of the clergy thought when they first saw it, “This is just what we’ve been waiting for – this is great!” But when viewers who stuck with Ted, Dougal, Jack and Mrs Doyle got used to the sheer silliness of it all, they probably began to enjoy it more.

I heard once that nuns in Canada picketed a TV channel which was showing the programme. I always enjoyed things like that. But one of my favourite reactions came from someone who phoned up an RTÉ radio show which Graham and I were being interviewed on. The listener was quite serious, and accused us of something along the lines of “anti-Irishness” (!). We used to get that type of criticism occasionally: “The show portrays the Irish in a bad light” etc. We listened to his comments and were quite non-confrontational and polite to him. I think this might have disarmed him a little, as his final comment was: “But, you know, it’s good to see you two doing so well in England.”

I liked that. Very Irish. Very Father Ted .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Father Ted night starts @ 9pm on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

OutlawPete wrote: »

Nice one ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

That would be an ecumenical matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Just watched my fav episode.

Anyone else fancy milk??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Ahh feck it, I missed it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

It's great so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

George83 wrote: »
    Ahh feck it, I missed it.
    Watch it on +1..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

basquille wrote: »
    Watch it on +1..

I'll catch up tomorrow on BT vision :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Watch it on +1..

Is there +1 on Channel 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, it's directly after it in the Sky EPG.

Am watching it now and they're about to show the Viewer's Favourite Episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

135 on SKY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Yeah, it's directly after it in the Sky EPG.

Am watching it now and they're about to show the Viewer's Favourite Episode.
    135 on SKY.

Ah right,its not on UPC though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As I'm watching it now, the documentary, call me sentimental but its somewhat sad.
    Such a great loss to comedy that the great man that played Father Ted, has passed - but what a brilliant show to bow out with, leaving behind.

The whole lot are still missed but I'm glad it ended as it did. They will be showing it for decades to come I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Ah right,its not on UPC though.
    There's no demand for that because it's ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I really enjoyed that.

Heart warming but also quite sad.

Can't resist posting this, Divine comedy - Songs Of Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

"Those are fake hands" - the funniest thing Jason Bryne has ever, or will ever utter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jose Jones

I thought it was brilliant.

bishop brennan is english :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I really enjoyed that, but it was a little bittersweet, I had a little lump in my throat watching Ardal describe Dermot's last hours.

I'm sorely tempted to start a "Lisa needs braces" style Ted Thread now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

4od ftw

• Advertisement

Watching that Father Ted documentary made me realise just how much it was a labour of love for everybody involved. The actors that were interviewed all seemed still shook up by Dermot Morgan's death. When Frank Kelly and Ardal O' Hanlon were visiting the house for the first time in ages, there was a sense of apprehension surrounding them. Loved when the little girl said she didn't like the show, that she didn't get it. I can understand why Pauline didn't want to be a part of the documentary.

There will never be a comedy that affects people as much as Father Ted has - for such a relatively low budget show about a such a specific subject matter such as Irish Catholic priests in the back-arse of nowhere, it has such a universal appeal.

It finished in 1998, didn't it? It's been 13 years and I still laugh my ass off, maybe more so now as an adult where I can finally understand the jokes fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I really enjoyed that, but it was a little bittersweet, I had a little lump in my throat watching Ardal describe Dermot's last hours.

I'm sorely tempted to start a "Lisa needs braces" style Ted Thread now

Every thread is a Ted thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think Pauline McLynn is an eejit who needs to embrace the role that made her an icon rather than act like such a bitch whenever it's brought up.

Really good documentary, it was great to watch and isn't Frank Kelly a lovely man altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its bound to be repeated on More 4 (or is it Four More?) soonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jose Jones

Sure Pauline McLynn would rather get her tits out on the sinking **** called shameless :(

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

phasers wrote: »
    I think Pauline McLynn is an eejit who needs to embrace the role that made her an icon rather than act like such a bitch whenever it's brought up.

Big time. She's despised by many in Galway. Snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Have being catching up on it on 4 + 1 now and brought back great memories of when it first aired on c4 back in the 90s :)

phasers wrote: »

Really good documentary, it was great to watch and isn't Frank Kelly a lovely man altogether?

I think some of it could be that she just can't go back to that again. What we don't know is how badly she was affected by both the show ending and the death of Dermot. You can tell that Frank Kelly and Ardal O' Hanlon were uneasy approaching the house, maybe she just wasn't ready.

I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I was gutted - the production company tweeted a few months ago looking for photos of people posing outside of the parochial house for this, sent mine in, got my hopes up, disappointed :(

Although, me and the wife had our wedding reception in the Falls Hotel (where they filmed "My Lovely Horse") so was great to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Didn't know Mrs Doyle was in Shameless :eek: ! Yup, think she should've taken part in the show - can understand why she would be a bit hung up on it, but when all the other actors involved took part it looks a bit stupid that she didn't just do it. Met Frank Kelly before a couple of times in my old job, he is indeed a lovely man, and far more normal and less pretentious than many other less famous actors around Dublin!

The show made me sad too...the main producer has died as welll as Dermot - also makes me want to go to the Fr Ted house and have a cuppa! Didn't know they had a tea-room!

And don't think the Bishop Brennan character is English, I think he's just a posh actor :p.

Advertisement