Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A return to Craggy Island - New Year's Day - Channel 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

fu*kin brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My fav ' Bishop Brennen ' episode on now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Elevator wrote: »
    4od ftw

Yes, it is on 4OD now.

Small, Far Away - The World of Father Ted (49 mins)
    10.05PM Saturday 01 Jan 2011 Channel 4
    29 Days LEFT

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/father-ted/4od#3150032

Watch it while you can..

Great to see the actor\comedian Michael Redmond (Father Stone), his face is priceless, he doesn't have to say anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Craggy Island

I really feel at home on this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

phasers wrote: »
    I think Pauline McLynn is an eejit who needs to embrace the role that made her an icon rather than act like such a bitch whenever it's brought up.

I hate people that do that.

Emilio Estevez does the same with The Breakfast Club, won't answer questions in interviews about it.

John Hughes died last year and the guy wouldn't even attended the MTV tribute to him, the director who actually made him famous.

He's just one though, the amount of "stars" that don't want to talk about their big break is stunning, people like that; you really wish would never have got that break to begin with if that's their attitude.

• Advertisement

Who was that incredibly unlucky priest that Ted always rang when he was in the middle of something? Don't think he was a part of the documentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jose Jones

Up-n-atom! wrote: »
    Didn't know Mrs Doyle was in Shameless :eek: ! Yup, think she should've taken part in the show - can understand why she would be a bit hung up on it, but when all the other actors involved took part it looks a bit stupid that she didn't just do it. Met Frank Kelly before a couple of times in my old job, he is indeed a lovely man, and far more normal and less pretentious than many other less famous actors around Dublin!

The show made me sad too...the main producer has died as welll as Dermot - also makes me want to go to the Fr Ted house and have a cuppa! Didn't know they had a tea-room!

And don't think the Bishop Brennan character is English, I think he's just a posh actor :p.

sometimes it's hard to tell :p

Who was that incredibly unlucky priest that Ted always rang when he was in the middle of something? Don't think he was a part of the documentary.
    Fr Dick Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fr Dick Byrne.
    It was Larry Duff..

.. to think someone with your username got that wrong - FOR SHHHAAAAMMMEEE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

father larry duff

'ah hello ted, howz it hangin'

• Advertisement

Mrs D '' I've just heard they have taken the roads in ''

Bishop Brennen '' :confused::confused::confused:''

Ted '' yes they store them in a warehouse when the weathers bad ''

:D

basquille wrote: »
    It was Larry Duff..

.. to think someone with your username got that wrong - FOR SHHHAAAAMMMEEE!
    I'm ashamed:( I got so excited I pressed the buzzer without knowing the answer, or else I was just testing you.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm ashamed:( I got so excited I pressed the buzzer without knowing the answer, or else I was just testing you.:pac:

London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I think I saw Larry Duff in the documentary at one point. And if he wasn't in it then I'd say it's because the producers were worried about what would happen if they rang him.

omahaid wrote: »
    London?
    London??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

London??

I'll give you a clue, you live there

London??

a stitch in time saves now many?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I find it funny that the name of the actor who played the main character in the sheep episode was called Peadar Lamb!

No. Craggy Island actually.. I must be missing something..:confused:

I find it funny that the name of the actor who played the main character in the sheep episode was called Peadar Lamb!

fup off!!

• Advertisement

42. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Superb television show... something to be really proud of.

Yes, it was produced and funded in the UK and one could argue the show was "British".. but it's nods, references, writing and nuances are so Irish that I really don't think you possibly could.

I remember watching the first episode when it aired.. and not "fully" get it but 2 - 3 episodes in and I absolutely fell in love with it. One memory that sticks in my mind is travelling to Dublin with my father the day after the first episode aired, and listening to Joe Duffy (or whatever the equivalent was in 1995.. pretty sure it was Joe) and to hear the amount of people lambast and criticise the show as "anti-Irish" and "offensive to priests". I often wonder did these people retain these views as the show went on.. or would they ever think back and cringe?!

Anyways, I had the 3 series recorded on VHS that (classic piracy FTW) were worn down so much that when the DVD boxset came out, I felt THIS more than anything else deserved my hard-earned money back then.

The documentary felt all a bit sad.. both Ardal and Frank came across as genuinely humble and thankful to have worked on the show. The less I say about Pauline McLynn the better.. I've read articles from her, listened to her in interviews and seen her elsewhere. She's a horribly unfunny woman, but hey.. that might just me by opinion. The fact that she didn't want to "hurt" or "sully" her image as a serious actress by revisiting the role that made her was ridiculous.

The various outakes and clips of Dermot Morgan on-set shows how much he loved working on the show.. and hearing Graham describe him as being both a full-time lead and warm-up when necessary (and not always needed) brought a smile to my face. Dermot loved that role.. and although I remember being incredibly upset when he died.. at least he died with THAT role as his pinnacle final role. He'll always be remembered as Father Ted.

I did think there was some odd tension between Arthur Matthews and Graham Linehan.. wasn't there a bad fallout not long after 'Ted'. I think I remember Linehan mentioning it in that documentary that aired on RTE. But all things considered, they clearly loved reminiscing of their time on 'Ted'.

I'll still be watching 'Ted' in 50 years.. and my kids will be.. and my grand-kids - it's inevitable.

Great comedy doesn't age!

No. Craggy Island actually.. I must be missing something..:confused:

have you ever watched father ted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Labour of love is right. The first documentary was a bit meh, but Small, Far Away was marvellous. Bet a lot of people had something in their eye in the last few scenes.

One thing I always find disarming is how much I genuinely like Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews. Love to see them do a proper Irish roadtrip show some time. I'd imagine it'd be easy to get sick of hearing about a show you did that long ago, no matter how well meaning everybody was about it, but Linehan in particular comes across as a genuinely nice, naturally funny dude without the attendant attitude problem that usually seems to accompany a bit of success as a writer. If you aren't following him on twitter yet - @Glinner - you're missing out.

Father Ted fans who know the show off by heart might want to check out the Parish Magazines book to go with it.. It was written by Mathews & Linehan, in the style of, well, a series of parochial magazines, supposedly published by Ted himself. It's in keeping with the slightly more surreal elements of life on the Island, and indeed, Ireland - there are ads in the magazines for a shop that sells wooden fishtanks, and stuff like that - and a rundown of the Top 100 Priests including a nudist one who accidentally summoned demons by doing a mass in the nip.

Bits of it made me cry with the laughter, well worth a read.

have you ever watched father ted?
    What's that then Ted? Ichose craggy island coz admiralofthefleet was taken

What's that then Ted? Ichose craggy island coz admiralofthefleet was taken

that happens a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jose Jones

You wouldn't be advising the use of artificial contraception, would you father?

that happens a lot

:) Night then Ted zzzzzz.......

basquille wrote: »
    I remember watching the first episode when it aired.. and not "fully" get it but 2 - 3 episodes in and I absolutely fell in love with it. One memory that sticks in my mind is travelling to Dublin with my father the day after the first episode aired, and listening to Joe Duffy (or whatever the equivalent was in 1995.. pretty sure it was Joe) and to hear the amount of people lambast and criticise the show as "anti-Irish" and "offensive to priests". I often wonder did these people retain these views as the show went on.. or would they ever think back and cringe?!
    I would imagine that the more conservative citizens of Ireland would have found the whole thing offensive but as soon as the show was bought by RTE , many would have fell into ''well if the national broadcasting company are showing it might be ok so right '' brigade .

Fr Ted was ahead of it's time in that taking the piss out of the church and priests in general ,it came out at time well before the church abuse scandals so it's all the more relevant from that point of view to .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've always wondered if it didn't at least have a minor role in breaking down some of the reverence the Church and it's representatives used to inspire here.

Advertisement