Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A return to Craggy Island - New Year's Day - Channel 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I've always wondered if it didn't at least have a minor role in breaking down some of the reverence the Church and it's representatives used to inspire here.
    I think it did test the waters and break through that reverence ,and a breath of fresh air against anybody who didn't think the Church and it's employees shouldn't be held up to ridicule like any other institution in society .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

basquille wrote: »
    I remember watching the first episode when it aired.. and not "fully" get it but 2 - 3 episodes in and I absolutely fell in love with it. O

Anyone remember the episode Rock-a-Hula Ted with the shot of "Niamh Connolly" posing on the cover of a magazine wearing a pair of boxing gloves which said CLIT POWER. Ted is sitting there and he wonders aloud "What does that mean? I knew a Father Clint Power once..."
    It went right over my head at the time but then I watched it a few years ago and almost suffocated with laughter over that line. I have a friend who's another super Ted fan and we often text each other random quotes in lieu of greetings, especially if we haven't been chatting for a while. That one there is a favourite, it still leaves me creased in laughter.

"I think it was the actor Nick Berry who said..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

This thread is so gorgeous I want to put it under arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

If you aren't following him on twitter yet - @Glinner - you're missing out.

Follow him also and am watching The Heartbreak Kid here, notice he is also and is tweeting his comments on some of the scenes in it as he watches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Jesus, I'd forgotten all about Clint Power.

It's funny too that for all the stuff that's so distinctly tuned to Irish pop culture - like Henry Sellers or the Eurovision stuff - that it still took hold in the UK and elsewhere the way it did.

I've a Swedish friend who loves it as much as or more than any Irish person I know, it's awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

Latchy wrote: »
    I think it did test the waters and break through that reverence ,and a breath of fresh air against anybody who didn't think the Church and it's employees shouldn't be held up to ridicule like any other institution in society .

"Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas priests... more drink!!! " :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Jesus, I'd forgotten all about Clint Power.

It's funny too that for all the stuff that's so distinctly tuned to Irish pop culture - like Henry Sellers or the Eurovision stuff - that it still took hold in the UK and elsewhere the way it did.

I've a Swedish friend who loves it as much as or more than any Irish person I know, it's awesome.

I know, it's bizarre, isn't it!? My friend's boyfriend is French, he's 25, his brother is 18 and they just can't get enough of it! We sit watching the box set with tears rolling down our cheeks, barely able to breathe, while my friend buzzes around in the background mumbling about how it's not that funny. I'm even getting her 7 year old daughter into it. (I'm her god-mother, how's that for spiritual guidance?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

stevveyg wrote: »
    "Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas priests... more drink!!! " :D

'' Amen '' to that brother stevveyg ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jose Jones

You know its that long since I saw it,I forgot Steve McQueen was in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is there anything that can be said for saying another mass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jose Jones

God I love saying Mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

You've a face on ya like a pair of tits

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

On a brighter note, my son is a new 12 year old devotee to the show.

An excuse to get the DVD's out.

I always think it's a very hard show to pick a favourite from, Speed 3 wouldn't be mine, love the whistle one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oh and shoddy workmanship Ted, shoddy!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

missed it. wasn't a repeat of Fr Ted Reminiscences past i hope.. surely not primetime on a sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I stood beside Arthur Matthews at a Drogheda United match earlier this (disastrous) season, and it was so weird, I kept urging myself to turn to him and quote something from Fr. Ted or Big Train-but I couldn't! I think I just made some comment about Glen Fitzpatrick being sh*te, and he nodded in agreement. I loved that documentary tonight, not in a trite way but it did make me proud to be Irish. "Father Jessop, what are you doing in Father Jack's underpants hamper?!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The Gary Lineker book of ghost stories.

I remember being in secondary school as the episodes aired, the next day the teachers would be driven demented with people uttering the catchphrases when they had their back turned.

What was it he used to say about the needy? He had a term for them...
    A shower of bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

Glen Fitzpatrick being sh*te, )
    Love how some fitzy abuse makes its way into a father ted thread. Watching it now on 4od. Pretty enjoyable watch. Im devestated the inside of the house is nothing like what we saw on telly though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

One of the best British comedy shows produced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

One of the best British comedy shows produced

Please don't try to derail this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Jose Jones wrote: »

bishop brennan is english :eek:

No he isn't, he's 100% Irish.

Jim Norton (Len) is a terrific actor, he's won several awards.

But whatever he does, he'll always be Bishop Len Brennan. One of a number of great actors who appeared in Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

And look at this: a special pull-out supplement on whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

What's it all about Ted?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Get dem feckin crunchies out of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Imagine how legendary Fr Ted would be if RTE had made it. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm surprised that Speed 3 was voted the funniest episode by the public. I'd have picked ones from the first two series sooner than that one. I thought by the third series that the writers were starting to run on empty. The same with Kicking Bishop Brennan Up The Arse.

Overall though, it was a good evening's telly. The second documentary was nice, where they got some of the actors back to reminisce and visited some of the filming locations. And oddly enough, as someone else remarked on the thread, it made me proud to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

basquille wrote: »

I did think there was some odd tension between Arthur Matthews and Graham Linehan.. wasn't there a bad fallout not long after 'Ted'. I think I remember Linehan mentioning it in that documentary that aired on RTE.

Yes you could clearly see it in Arthur Matthew's body language, Linehan wouldn't shut his trap throughout the whole documentary Matthews hardly got a word in edge ways.

> didn't realise it was filmed before a live TV audience, taught they used canned laughter throughout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

UK telly never uses "canned" laughter even if it might sound like it at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

It was a real pity Pauline McLynn didn't agree to do the documentary. I thought it was a great chance for her to help shrug off the Mrs Doyle stigma, especially as she's so nice and likeable in real life

Advertisement