Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A return to Craggy Island - New Year's Day - Channel 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mike65 wrote: »
    UK telly never uses "canned" laughter even if it might sound like it at times.

well for the outdoor scenes it did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are played back in the studio off tape in front of the audience and the recorded and studio parts are stitched together in the editing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Really enjoyed it last night. Found it very sad though. Dermot Morgan was such a talented man.

Found it interesting when Ardal was saying he used to try to never break out of character during filming, but Dermot was acting the clown all the time. It showed a studio clip where "Ted" jumps on "Dougal" (dermot messing around) shouting "I WANT YOU". When they get up, Ardal doesn't even smile, just keeps dougals eyes going! He was probably used to it.

Really enjoyed it last night. Found it very sad though. Dermot Morgan was such a talented man.

Found it interesting when Ardal was saying he used to try to never break out of character during filming, but Dermot was acting the clown all the time. It showed a studio clip where "Ted" jumps on "Dougal" (dermot messing around) shouting "I WANT YOU". When they get up, Ardal doesn't even smile, just keeps dougals eyes going! He was probably used to it.

God, that moment had tears nearly running down my cheeks, it was just so funny.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

You've a face on ya like a pair of tits

At least that's one pair between us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

We're all goin to heaven lads. Wheeeyyyy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Found it interesting when Ardal was saying he used to try to never break out of character during filming, but Dermot was acting the clown all the time.
    Not forgetting the outtake shown directly after when Ardal mentioned that..

.. it was just one steady shot of Ardal shying away / looking down smiling after Dermot messed up a line, and you could just heard audience laughing with Dermot ad-libbing some line about pulling an altar boy with one finger! :D

That out-take showed me exactly how much Ardal immersed in Dougal as a character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Fcukin' hell

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Jack: They lie in wait like wolves. The smell of blood in their nostrils. Waiting. Interminably waiting. And then...

Dougal: He's right, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭briany

My father who likes Killinaskully and every other "Jaysus Mickser, how's the form. Sure aren't we all great craic altogether? *Nudge nudge*" Irish "comedy" of the last 30 years barely raises a chuckle at Ted. I once asked him why and he said, "It's a bit bog Irish, isn't it?"

NO IT'S NOT!!

For every once reference to bog Irishness, there's ten brilliantly absurd, outrageously funny moments that would appeal to just about anyone in the English speaking world (and sometimes beyond). That's why it's the most exportable Irish comedy (let's not argue that) of all time by well.........Has any other Irish comedy ever even been exported whether or not it was produced by Irish or British TV?

Are people in Australia and America just now discovering the joys of The Fitz (BBC) or dare I say it, Finbar's class/Upwardly Mobile. (RTE)??

• Advertisement

Bastard this, and bastard that... you can't move for the bastards in her novels, it's wall-to-wall bastards!

Ya bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Bastard this, and bastard that... you can't move for the bastards in her novels, it's wall-to-wall bastards!

Ya bastard!

ride me sideways was another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

You've a face on ya like a pair of tits

"Well at least thats one pair between us!"

I love the names Mrs Doyle rattles off when she's tried to guess Todd Umptious' name

Fr. Spodo Comodo
    Fr. Chewy Louis
    Fr. Hiroshima Twinky
    Fr. Raboola Conundrum
    Fr. Hairy-Cake Lynam
    Fr. Jemimah Racktool

and so on

At least that's one pair between us!
    "Well at least thats one pair between us!"

Beat you to it, Jerry!

Beat you to it, Jerry!

so thats 2 pairs in total so...problem solved!! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Actually, speaking of Ted, there was a time there a few years ago we were at the Moscow Olympics with Sean Rae...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Was nice to see John and Mary together on the show last night too. They showed the clip where Dougal is saying aren't John and Mary a lovely couple. John in the background with his bandaged bloodied head that he said was caused by a headache :-)

John / Mary / Dougal: (Cinema Protest Episode)

John O'Leary: What can we do for you Father?
    Dougal : I was looking for a pair of handcuffs actually.
    John : A pair of handcuffs? What do you need them for?
    Dougal : Oh nothing much, they're for me and Ted.
    Mary : You and Father Ted?
    Dougal : Yeah, we're just trying something out.
    John : Well emm, actually, funnily enough we do have a pair. Sergeant Thornton left them here when he retired.
    Dougal : Retired from what?
    John : From the police.
    Dougal : The police? Was Sergeant Thornton a policeman?
    John : Emm, he was yes. Why do you think he wore the uniform?
    Dougal : Oh I thought he was just having a laugh.
    John : Anyway here's the handcuffs.
    Dougal : Great, bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

enjoyed the documentary and the shows, like many, I have seen them all and have them on dvd/tape going back years. Still love them, still so funny and timeless. The characters were just superb creations, including the lesser roles

thanks to all who quoted some of the classic lines which made me smile

...............:eek: those women were in the nip!!!!!!!!:pac:

I heard/read somewhere once upon a time that the makers of the "Speed" franchise of films made the third installment with the intention of calling it "Speed 3" but couldn't as the name was already taken (I'm trying to find proof on t'internet but not having much luck so far, so feel free to disregard this as rubbish, but I really hope it's true :D )

I heard/read somewhere once upon a time that the makers of the "Speed" franchise of films made the third installment with the intention of calling it "Speed 3" but couldn't as the name was already taken (I'm trying to find proof on t'internet but not having much luck so far, so feel free to disregard this as rubbish, but I really hope it's true :D )
    I call BS!

Because, for one, just because the name of a film already exists doesn't meant you can't use it again. For example - 'The Hole' or 'The Awakening'. I will admit I got lucky with the amount of movies with those two particular titles.. but it might be because I read this article this morning: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/dec/29/commonest-film-title-the-awakening

Now if you joined the Screen Actors Guild.. that's another kettle of fish entirely.

EDIT: Another rumour that Graham Linehan rubbished on Twitter was the rumour that they went to RTE with 'Ted' (who rejected it) before going to Channel 4.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    I call BS!

Because, for one, just because the name of a film already exists doesn't meant you can't use it again. For example - 'The Hole' or 'The Awakening'. I will admit I got lucky with the amount of movies with those two particular titles.. but it might be because I read this article this morning: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/dec/29/commonest-film-title-the-awakening

Now if you joined the Screen Actors Guild.. that's another kettle of fish entirely.

EDIT: Another rumour that Graham Linehan rubbished on Twitter was the rumour that they went to RTE with 'Ted' (who rejected it) before going to Channel 4.

BOO :mad: would've been hilarious if true, but you make a very logical point, if I had thought about it sensibly for any length of time it should've occurred to me. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

missed this, I'll catch it on 4OD tomorrow. My favourite quote has to be:
    Polly Clarke - "My husband...now there was a man who was afraid of Virginia Woolfe"
    Ted - "Why, was she chasing him or something?"
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

fryup wrote: »
    Yes you could clearly see it in Arthur Matthew's body language, Linehan wouldn't shut his trap throughout the whole documentary Matthews hardly got a word in edge ways.

I'd disagree with that assessment. Mathews, though a fine writer, is far less comfortable speaking to camera. I didn't feel like he was struggling to get a word in edgeways - he just wasn't saying a whole lot, which left the other to do the talking for both of them.

Linehan is a more engaging chap. Naturally shy and a bit awkward, I'd say, but thoroughly decent bloke all the same; as the more recognisable of the two I daresay he's had time to have a bit of practice in talking about the show in the few years since.

I completely forgot about that great line about UHT milk in 'Speed 3':

"You'd better get going, actually. Milk gets sour y'know. Unless it's UHT milk, but there's no demand for that because it's shite!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sorry about that!

Great show last night...wish it became available with the boxset.

Mushy wrote: »

Sorry about that!

Great show last night...wish it became available with the boxset.
    FYP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Fair play to Channel 4 for the documentary and the themed night, akin to when they did similar stuff in the 90s.

God, I remember that great anticipation of the next new episode of Father Ted on a Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wrexis

Must have been hard for Ardal O'Hanlon - he's 45, the same age Dermot Morgan was when he died.

Wrexis wrote: »
    Must have been hard for Ardal O'Hanlon - he's 45, the same age Dermot Morgan was when he died.

Jaysus I never would've put that age on him when I looked at the documentary. That means he was 30 when the series started, always thought he was in his early/mid 20s when it began.

• Advertisement

What's your favourite humming noise?

Advertisement