Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa waiver rules??????

Options
  • 31-12-2010 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hey guys , just spent some time in the states under the visa waiver program and came back. when i was there i met an american girl so i want to go back to her now. the reason i had to leave was because my 90 days were nearly up. is there a certain amount of time i have to wait to go back or can i just go back straight away now that i have returned to my home country? and also , can i just buy a one way ticket because it is alot cheaper 2 wait and buy a return over there when im coming home again? is it possible to just tell the us customs in dublin airport that you have a return ticket even if you dont ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You can try to get over to the USA again right away, if this is only your second trip in a year or two, they may let you- if you do so, bring lots of ties to Ireland to show you will return (letter from employer, enrollment in university, rental papers, bank account details showing you can afford another trip etc). But the general guideline is that you should spend more time outside the USA then in, so ideally wait three months.

You must have a ticket onward- either a returhn ticket or one to another country (Canada or Mexico will do). They will ask to see proof, and airlines usually won't sell you a one-way unless you have an immigrant visa anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

As Silja says an onward ticket is required for using the VWP. Be prepared to answer questions about how you are able to afford to spend so much time in the US (remember this is the land of 10 days annual leave). The VWP is for visiting only, if the immigration official thinks that you are attempting to 'live' in the US under it then they probably will deny you admission.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

dave180 wrote: »
    is it possible to just tell the us customs in dublin airport that you have a return ticket even if you dont ?

Not wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

is it possible to just tell the us customs in dublin airport that you have a return ticket even if you dont ? thanks

Possible but very foolish. If you tell them that they'll probably check, and then you won't be getting in to the US for a quite a while. You probably won't be asked this anyway- I have never been asked if I had a return flight booked. But I'm always asked when I'm coming back to Ireland (and I even have a visa). You can tell them the date you intend to return - if you later change you mind and return at a later date, that's OK. I almost never end up returning on the date I tell them because I usually reschedule my flight due to work constraints etc. I've done this before on the visa waiver program and it's never been a problem. I've also travelled back to the US on the vwp within a few weeks of returning home, but I wouldn't recommend it - I was grilled at customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I was on the U35 programme and will be heading over again for paddy's day for two weeks.I left before my visa was up which was 28 December,I left on the 22 secound of december.I didnt get into any trouble and was thinking it would be handy enough to get back in.

I emailed USIT about this and they said that if you dont have a criminal record and you left on before the visa ran out you will be ok.

From my understanding have a return ticket and prove that you have money for the trip and you will be ok yes or am I bolloxed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement