Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Problem - how to make official complaint?

Options
  • 31-12-2010 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭

A few days ago I posted a thread about eircom (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056131145) which was closed without giving me time to clarify it. It was not "designed to make eircom look bad" but was intended to ask a valid question and I would have clarified that if given the opportunity, instead the thread was closed.

I originally posted : "Just before Christmas I received a bill from eircom for broadband. I haven't had my phone or BB with eircom for months but on contacting them I was informed that I had applied for a connection on 7/12/10 which I certainly did not. They have now agreed to cancel the service. Has anyone had similar problems with eircom?" I should have been clearer and have some further info to add.

Firstly eircom have agreed to cancel the service and the bill, I must call back on Jan 4 to confirm this.

Secondly the problem is my BB has been switched from another company to eircom without my knowledge or consent. Eircom state that I applied for a switch on December 7 which I did not. My BB provider say they won't restore my connection until I pay an early termination charge.

Thirdly, while, Eircom will terminate the service but it is up to me to make alternative arrangements as they say I applied for the switch. They say they cannot get another provider to restore my service.

My question is has anyone run into similar problems with eircom and if so how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

mossie wrote: »
    A few days ago I posted a thread about eircom (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056131145) which was closed without giving me time to clarify it. It was not "designed to make eircom look bad" but was intended to ask a valid question and I would have clarified that if given the opportunity, instead the thread was closed.

I originally posted : "Just before Christmas I received a bill from eircom for broadband. I haven't had my phone or BB with eircom for months but on contacting them I was informed that I had applied for a connection on 7/12/10 which I certainly did not. They have now agreed to cancel the service. Has anyone had similar problems with eircom?" I should have been clearer and have some further info to add.

Firstly eircom have agreed to cancel the service and the bill, I must call back on Jan 4 to confirm this.

Secondly the problem is my BB has been switched from another company to eircom without my knowledge or consent. Eircom state that I applied for a switch on December 7 which I did not. My BB provider say they won't restore my connection until I pay an early termination charge.

Thirdly, while, Eircom will terminate the service but it is up to me to make alternative arrangements as they say I applied for the switch. They say they cannot get another provider to restore my service.

My question is has anyone run into similar problems with eircom and if so how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Contact COMREG---you may be a victim of SLAMMING---where some individual salesperson accesses your data and submits a change over request without your knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

As requested by eircom I called back on 4/1/11 and was put through to cancellations only to find myself in a seemingly endless queue. I then got the option to request a call back and was told you are calling from 021--- - not my number I left my mobile - no call back. Second time I tried I was told I was calling from 042 --- again not my number again no call back same thing twice today. Eircom customer service is terrible. Anyone have an email address that might get a response, or failing that the snail mail?

Thanks.
    Mossie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Eircom customer service is terrible. Anyone have an email address that might get a response, or failing that the snail mail?

The reps in the eircom forum may be able to assist with this. Thread moved.

jor el wrote: »
    The reps in the eircom forum may be able to assist with this. Thread moved.

Thanks. Given the lack of response and the impossibility of getting throught to 1901 I want to escalate this to an Official Complaint and involve comreg as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Thanks. Given the lack of response and the impossibility of getting throught to 1901 I want to escalate this to an Official Complaint and involve comreg as well.

Hi mossie,

I apologise for the delay in responding to you can you PM me your telephone number so I can check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Mossie
    we can certainly have a look at this issue. Apologies that your thread was closed, this was not our doing. You posted to Tech > Nets & Comms > Broadband
    but we have no authority to close or comment on any thread outside of our own which is Biz > Talk to... > eircom
    As you may see from Jor_el post 'The reps in the eircom forum may be able to assist with this. Thread moved.
    The issue you posted is certainly an odd one and neither accepable or in any way normal. Not sure if you have responded to my colleague Mark's request to PM your line no or any order no you may have in regard to this issue and we will chase for you.
    Tony

Thanks

Hi mossie,

I am sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I am trying to track the person who issued the transfer order Do you have an idea how the order may have been processed.. I.e: Did you have any recent contact from eircom. Maybe a phone call or did an agent call to your address.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mossie
    we can certainly have a look at this issue. Apologies that your thread was closed, this was not our doing. You posted to Tech > Nets & Comms > Broadband
    but we have no authority to close or comment on any thread outside of our own which is Biz > Talk to... > eircom
    As you may see from Jor_el post 'The reps in the eircom forum may be able to assist with this. Thread moved.
    The issue you posted is certainly an odd one and neither accepable or in any way normal. Not sure if you have responded to my colleague Mark's request to PM your line no or any order no you may have in regard to this issue and we will chase for you.
    Tony

I sent a PM with my phone and account number earlier. Thanks

Hi mossie,

I am sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I am trying to track the person who issued the transfer order Do you have an idea how the order may have been processed.. I.e: Did you have any recent contact from eircom. Maybe a phone call or did an agent call to your address.

Thanks, Mark

nobody called to me and I had no phone contact with anyone from eircom near December. I did have a call from eircom in July I think. At the time I agreed to return to eircom but my broadband was not returned and I was told by eircom that I hadn't requested it. To cut a long story short I then left eircom again and paid an early termination fee of around €60. That was probably September and I has no contact of any sort with eircom since then. Thanks.

nobody called to me and I had no phone contact with anyone from eircom near December. I did have a call from eircom in July I think. At the time I agreed to return to eircom but my broadband was not returned and I was told by eircom that I hadn't requested it. To cut a long story short I then left eircom again and paid an early termination fee of around €60. That was probably September and I has no contact of any sort with eircom since then. Thanks.

Hi mossie,

Thanks, for getting back to me. I will investigate further and get back to you with an update tomorrow.

Thanks Mark

• Advertisement

Hi mossie,

Thanks, for getting back to me. I will investigate further and get back to you with an update tomorrow.

Thanks Mark

Thanks Mark. At least I feel now like some progress is being made. Calling 1901 is a waste of time and effort. Only once in at least 6 attempts did I actually get through to cancellations. 4 times I was asked to press 1 to request a call back and each time I was told I was calling from a number which was unrelated to mine not even the same area code, left my mobile number, no call back. Something like this should need only one, maximum two, calls to sort out not 6 and counting. I think eircom need to do some serious work on sorting out 1901. I am listing my calls to 1901 below.
    1. First call, not sure of date probably around 20/12/10 spoke to Aoife in cancellations. Was told it would be investigated and I would be called back, no call received.
    2. Called again 29/12/10?? spoke to Melanie. She said there was no problem it would be cancelled - told me to call back on 4/1/11.
    3. Called 4/1/11 dreadful line and did not get the name of the guy I spoke to. He put me on hold and then I was back in an endless queue. Was told to press 1 for a call back and was then told I was calling from a number totally unrelated to my own. Left my mobile no call back received.
    4. Again 4/1/11 spoke to Trisha who said she would put me through to cancellations Again an endless queue, again told to press 1 for a call back and was again told I was calling from a number totally unrelated to my own. Left my mobile no call back received.
    5. 5/1/11 Spoke to some guy who put me through to cancellations. Again an endless queue, again told to press 1 for a call back and was again told I was calling from a number totally unrelated to my own. Left my mobile number for callback at 4pm no call back received.
    6. 5/1/11 Spoke to girl who put me through to cancellations. Again an endless queue, again told to press 1 for a call back and was again told I was calling from a number totally unrelated to my own. Left my mobile number for call back "tomorrow". No call received.

All in all pretty frustrating...

Thanks Mark. At least I feel now like some progress is being made. Calling 1901 is a waste of time and effort. Only once in at least 6 attempts did I actually get through to cancellations. 4 times I was asked to press 1 to request a call back and each time I was told I was calling from a number which was unrelated to mine not even the same area code, left my mobile number, no call back. Something like this should need only one, maximum two, calls to sort out not 6 and counting. I think eircom need to do some serious work on sorting out 1901. I am listing my calls to 1901 below.
    1. First call, not sure of date probably around 20/12/10 spoke to Aoife in cancellations. Was told it would be investigated and I would be called back, no call received.
    2. Called again 29/12/10?? spoke to Melanie. She said there was no problem it would be cancelled - told me to call back on 4/1/11.
    3. Called 4/1/11 dreadful line and did not get the name of the guy I spoke to. He put me on hold and then I was back in an endless queue. Was told to press 1 for a call back and was then told I was calling from a number totally unrelated to my own. Left my mobile no call back received.
    4. Again 4/1/11 spoke to Trisha who said she would put me through to cancellations Again an endless queue, again told to press 1 for a call back and was again told I was calling from a number totally unrelated to my own. Left my mobile no call back received.
    5. 5/1/11 Spoke to some guy who put me through to cancellations. Again an endless queue, again told to press 1 for a call back and was again told I was calling from a number totally unrelated to my own. Left my mobile number for callback at 4pm no call back received.
    6. 5/1/11 Spoke to girl who put me through to cancellations. Again an endless queue, again told to press 1 for a call back and was again told I was calling from a number totally unrelated to my own. Left my mobile number for call back "tomorrow". No call received.

All in all pretty frustrating...

Hi Mossie,

I have been investigating the transfer order and there is a record of a call to our sales department on the 26/11/2011 requesting broadband?

Does that shed any light as to how it could have been transfered?

The account with eircom is known as a Dummy account which is an eircom account for broadband only. So it can not be cancelled directly by eircom we need to make the other provider aware that we wish to cancel our service on the telephone line.

However there is a contract involved and if we have a record of a request I need to confirm with you if the details ring a bell?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mossie,

I have been investigating the transfer order and there is a record of a call to our sales department on the 26/11/2011 requesting broadband?

The account with eircom is known as a Dummy account which is an eircom account for broadband only. So it can not be cancelled directly by eircom we need to make the other provider aware that we wish to cancel our service on the telephone line.

However there is a contract involved and if we have a record of a request I need to confirm with you if the details ring a bell?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mossie,

Can you private message me with a mobile contact number and the best time to give you a call.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mossie,

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Thank you for your reply and your efforts on my behalf.

As I said before I certainly did not place an order with eircom for broadband. My only contact with eircom was much earlier probably July / August. There was no call made from my line, or my mobile, to eircom or any other party on 26/11/2010. I would have been at work all that day and would not have returned home until after 6.30 or even 7pm so it is unlikely I would have been in a position to receive a call from an eircom rep. I only moved my broadband to Vodafone from Imagine in early October and would not be moving again so soon as I have a contract with them and if I did move it would certainly not be to eircom of all companies. In fact I was in the Vodafone store in Mallow around that date, possibly that week, to make adjustments to my account as they had not properly set up the account.

All I can tell you is that if there was an order placed it was not placed by me and as I am the only resident of this address it was not placed by anyone else here. I'm sure you have some way of tracking who placed the order, or how it was placed but if there is an implication that I placed it that is a blatant lie on behalf of whoever took the order.

• I did not place this order.
    • I did not authorize anyone to place an order on my behalf.
    • I have no contract with eircom.
    • I should not be billed by eircom and will not pay for something I did not order so please cancel this immediately.

I am quite prepared to make an official complaint and involve comreg (please give me an email address to which I can forward an official complaint) and if necessary take legal action. Someone in eircom has made a serious mistake and I will not be bound by that error.

Is there a possibility that whoever took the order wrongly associated it with my number instead of another?

I know you are trying to help and I am grateful for that but this is disgraceful behaviour on the part of eircom. I am sure that eircom have a database of all past and present customers and I know that from time to time you call previous customers asking them to return to eircom. Please note it in that database that, once this complaint is resolved, I should never be contacted again by eircom as I would never deal with a company which shows this level of incompetence.

Thanks for your help and please understand that this is not directed at you or your colleagues in Customer Services, who have been polite and helpful, but rather at whoever took this order.

Mark,

As I said before I certainly did not place an order with eircom for broadband. My only contact with eircom was much earlier probably July / August. There was no call made from my line, or my mobile, to eircom or any other party on 26/11/2010. I would have been at work all that day and would not have returned home until after 6.30 or even 7pm so it is unlikely I would have been in a position to receive a call from an eircom rep. I only moved my broadband to Vodafone from Imagine in early October and would not be moving again so soon as I have a contract with them and if I did move it would certainly not be to eircom of all companies. In fact I was in the Vodafone store in Mallow around that date, possibly that week, to make adjustments to my account as they had not properly set up the account.

All I can tell you is that if there was an order placed it was not placed by me and as I am the only resident of this address it was not placed by anyone else here. I'm sure you have some way of tracking who placed the order, or how it was placed but if there is an implication that I placed it that is a blatant lie on behalf of whoever took the order.

• I should not be billed by eircom and will not pay for something I did not order so please cancel this immediately.

I am quite prepared to make an official complaint and involve comreg (please give me an email address to which I can forward an official complaint) and if necessary take legal action. Someone in eircom has made a serious mistake and I will not be bound by that error.

Is there a possibility that whoever took the order wrongly associated it with my number instead of another?

I know you are trying to help and I am grateful for that but this is disgraceful behaviour on the part of eircom. I am sure that eircom have a database of all past and present customers and I know that from time to time you call previous customers asking them to return to eircom. Please note it in that database that, once this complaint is resolved, I should never be contacted again by eircom as I would never deal with a company which shows this level of incompetence.

Thanks for your help and please understand that this is not directed at you or your colleagues in Customer Services, who have been polite and helpful, but rather at whoever took this order.

Hi Mossie ,

Following up on our phone call last night, I sent a request to cancel the broadband account. I will get back to you as I have any updates.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Hi Mossie,

We have located the request to transfer back to eircom. An agent in our sales team will be in contact with you shortly to discuss the issue in detail.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mossie,

We have located the request to transfer back to eircom. An agent in our sales team will be in contact with you shortly to discuss the issue in detail.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I spoke to someone from eircom yesterday. He told me that the request to transfer back to eircom was last July not November. So does it really take 4 months to transfer??? I confirmed to him that I wished to have the service cancelled, can you keep me up to date on this please?

At the time I was contacted I agreed to transfer back but only the phone was transferred and I was told eircom had no record of me requesting my BB transferred. I then left eircom and paid an early cancellation fee. I certainly will not be paying another such fee.

Also I am sure that eircom have a database of all past and present customers and I know that from time to time you call previous customers asking them to return to eircom. Can it be recorded in that database that I should never be contacted again by eircom with a view to returning to their service?

Thanks for your help, certainly very good and efficient. Wish I could say the same for 1901 - definitely the worst customer services line I have ever had to contact. The operators are fine but the whole experience of getting through is inefficient and amateurish.

Regards,
    Mossie

Mark,

I spoke to someone from eircom yesterday. He told me that the request to transfer back to eircom was last July not November. So does it really take 4 months to transfer??? I confirmed to him that I wished to have the service cancelled, can you keep me up to date on this please?

At the time I was contacted I agreed to transfer back but only the phone was transferred and I was told eircom had no record of me requesting my BB transferred. I then left eircom and paid an early cancellation fee. I certainly will not be paying another such fee.

Also I am sure that eircom have a database of all past and present customers and I know that from time to time you call previous customers asking them to return to eircom. Can it be recorded in that database that I should never be contacted again by eircom with a view to returning to their service?

Thanks for your help, certainly very good and efficient. Wish I could say the same for 1901 - definitely the worst customer services line I have ever had to contact. The operators are fine but the whole experience of getting through is inefficient and amateurish.

Regards,
    Mossie

Hi Mossie,

I will have to check the request you outlined in July and I will get back to you early next week.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 14 conora2b

we had our bb "slammed" or as i prefare to say hi-jacked by vodafone over a year ago took months to get it sorted out as there's a 20+day "cooling off period" then they wouldnt give me the customer number (cant remember the actual term for it) but posted it out instead then changed it before it had arrived then wanted another cooling off period eircom were very helpful and told me that vf could give it to me over the phone but they kept refusing point blank after 4 or 5 calls to comreg a supervisor from VF called us with the number and we were swapped back to a real company"eircom" in a few hrs only we have a business line comreg or eircom probably wouldn't have acted as promptly but there was nout we could do about having unusable bb for months and lossed a lot of business over the head of it and i am just after getting the other problems that they had caused solved in the last few days thanks to the Eircom guys here

conora2b wrote: »
    we had our bb "slammed" or as i prefare to say hi-jacked by vodafone over a year ago took months to get it sorted out as there's a 20+day "cooling off period" then they wouldnt give me the customer number (cant remember the actual term for it) but posted it out instead then changed it before it had arrived then wanted another cooling off period eircom were very helpful and told me that vf could give it to me over the phone but they kept refusing point blank after 4 or 5 calls to comreg a supervisor from VF called us with the number and we were swapped back to a real company"eircom" in a few hrs only we have a business line comreg or eircom probably wouldn't have acted as promptly but there was nout we could do about having unusable bb for months and lossed a lot of business over the head of it and i am just after getting the other problems that they had caused solved in the last few days thanks to the Eircom guys here

Hi conora2b,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Mossie,

I will have to check the request you outlined in July and I will get back to you early next week.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark

Mark,

Just some more points i want to raise.

When the girl from eircom called me last July I was on a 7 meg package with Imagine. She assured me my line was 7 Meg capable and I would receive this package. However when eircom switched my BB in December it was to a 1 meg connection.

I have now been told by vodafone, imagine and others that my line is only capable of 2 meg. In August - October I was on 7 meg with Imagine and averaging 4 meg. Why did my line speed drop to 2 meg?

Thanks,
    Mossie

Mark,

Just some more points i want to raise.

When the girl from eircom called me last July I was on a 7 meg package with Imagine. She assured me my line was 7 Meg capable and I would receive this package. However when eircom switched my BB in December it was to a 1 meg connection.

I have now been told by vodafone, imagine and others that my line is only capable of 2 meg. In August - October I was on 7 meg with Imagine and averaging 4 meg. Why did my line speed drop to 2 meg?

Thanks,
    Mossie

Hi Mossie,

The line only has a maximum bandwith of 2MB I am afarid. The cancellation request has gone through. Let me know when you get the final eircom bill.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mossie,

The line only has a maximum bandwith of 2MB I am afarid. The cancellation request has gone through. Let me know when you get the final eircom bill.

Thanks, Mark

That is strange because I had a 7 meg package with imagine - which averaged 4 meg - and the girl who phoned me from eircom said I would get 7 "no problem". I, and some neighbours, did notice a drop in speeds after some work was done on the lines here in the last few months. I think they put some lines underground and that's when that problem started. Typical for "improvement" works to disimprove the situation:) Anyway hoping to get 8 meg wireless in on Friday (if I can get the signal) so hopefully goodbye to crappy phone lines.

Thanks for everything Mark, you've been most helpful.

That is strange because I had a 7 meg package with imagine - which averaged 4 meg - and the girl who phoned me from eircom said I would get 7 "no problem". I, and some neighbours, did notice a drop in speeds after some work was done on the lines here in the last few months. I think they put some lines underground and that's when that problem started. Typical for "improvement" works to disimprove the situation:) Anyway hoping to get 8 meg wireless in on Friday (if I can get the signal) so hopefully goodbye to crappy phone lines.

Thanks for everything Mark, you've been most helpful.

Hi mossie,

No problem:)

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭markobucko

can anyone explain a problem i have with eircom account???
    signed up for broadband with a door salesman last august and was told a technican would call out within 21 days to fix the plug socket in my hall for the broadband wire and also a modem would be delivered.....
    nothing ever happened but i was still getting billed.so i rang in december after having enough and spent nearly 15 minutes trying to speak to anymore who was bothered to listen,eventually get a guy who says i'll get the service sorted striaght away...i tell him i dont want anything now and stop billing for a service that hasnt been provided.....my phone battery and that eneds the conversation...
    time moves on to febuary and i ring again to cancel service...i get told i should have been in contact to tell them that i have no modem.i say its not my problem..its eircoms!!..she tells me its 250 euro odd to cancel.i say yeah cancel but not a hope of me paying a red cent for no service provided..
    i get a final reminder of court action today which will start after 10 days if i dont pay the 453.67 euro bill.
    :mad::mad:
    anyone any idea where i stand??
    would you guys pay up for no service??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

markobucko wrote: »
    signed up for broadband with a door salesman last august and was told a technican would call out within 21 days to fix the plug socket in my hall for the broadband wire and also a modem would be delivered.....
    nothing ever happened but i was still getting billed.so i rang in december after having enough and spent nearly 15 minutes trying to speak to anymore who was bothered to listen,eventually get a guy who says i'll get the service sorted striaght away...i tell him i dont want anything now and stop billing for a service that hasnt been provided.....my phone battery and that eneds the conversation...
    time moves on to febuary and i ring again to cancel service...i get told i should have been in contact to tell them that i have no modem.i say its not my problem..its eircoms!!..she tells me its 250 euro odd to cancel.i say yeah cancel but not a hope of me paying a red cent for no service provided..
    i get a final reminder of court action today which will start after 10 days if i dont pay the 453.67 euro bill.

Eircom really need to get their door to door sales people sorted out there are far too many examples on line of them blatantly lying to people and leaving a shambles behind for others to pick up.

In the absence of a prompt response here you should contact Comreg and tell them that you want to make an official complaint. They well then give you a reference no for your complaint.

It is amazing that Eircom should be threatening you like this when their records should easily show that you have never used the service never mind that there should be a record of your telephone call to them.

thanks for reply man....
    i'll try the comreg route!!!

markobucko wrote: »

Hi markobucko,

If you would like to PM me with your eircom account number, And I can look into the issue in detail.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

pm sent...
    many thanks
    mark!!

Advertisement