Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power City Refund-store credit only?

Options
  • 31-12-2010 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I bought a few items in power city the other day but ive actually found the exact same items 15 euro cheaper somewhere else.

The items in question are still brand new-unopened etc-but on the receipt i got it says that 'RETURN/EXCHANGE WITHIN 28 DAYS :WILL BE OFFERED STORE CREDIT'. Is this legal-i want to get my money back plain and simple.

Where do i stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

If you change your mind, your lucky your getting your money back at all to be honest!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

nudist wrote: »
    I bought a few items in power city the other day but ive actually found the exact same items 15 euro cheaper somewhere else.

The items in question are still brand new-unopened etc-but on the receipt i got it says that 'RETURN/EXCHANGE WITHIN 28 DAYS :WILL BE OFFERED STORE CREDIT'. Is this legal-i want to get my money back plain and simple.

Where do i stand?

Yes it's legal. You're only entitled to refund / repair / replacement if the item is faulty or not as described.

Finding it cheaper somewhere else doesn't fit into that.

Legally they don't even have to offer you a credit note, but once they've put the policy on your receipt they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

you actually have no rights whatsoever.

You are not entitled to anything from PowerCity. If they offer you store credit they are doing as a manner of goodwill nothing else.

Just because it was cheaper elsewhere makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

you were happy to pay for those things at that price at that time, Powercity do not have to refund you.

was it a online price you saw cheaper or was it a bricks and mortar store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

Antigone05 wrote: »
    you were happy to pay for those things at that price at that time, Powercity do not have to refund you.

was it a online price you saw cheaper or was it a bricks and mortar store?

It was just 1 mins walk from the power city i went to!!!

Im really pissed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You have NO rights. They could legally offer to give you only 5% back if they wanted. Be happy they are even accepting them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

So i really have no rights then?

Seems odd that i cant get a basic refund for something still new....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

its not odd at all.

you agreed to buy something off PowerCity at a price they quoted. The contract was completed and now you want to go back on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

whippet wrote: »
    its not odd at all.

you agreed to buy something off PowerCity at a price they quoted. The contract was completed and now you want to go back on it.
    Exactly, the op would be on here bitchin if power city did not uphold their side of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Can't believe there are still consumers this naive out there in this day and age!

Read a few of the stickys at the top of the page. Pay particular attention to the one that mentions consumer rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is nothing wrong with the goods - therefore Power City are under no legal obligation to you. Anything they offer you is at their discretion and is a sign of goodwill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 theofficepest

is that really true though, is it? doesn't he have any comeback

is that really true though, is it? doesn't he have any comeback

He has no comeback. The goods are fit for purpose and were sold in good faith by the shop. They are under no legal obligation to refund him money for the goods.

The only way that he might get his money back is if the shop operates a generous refunds/returns policy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kind of scary people have to ask about this situation, changing your mind is not a valid reason to seek a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

As others said, be happy you're getting store credit.

There's nothing worse than working in a store and having misinformed customers coming into the shop and spouting out wildly incorrect consumer rights that they have a right to refund because they changed their mind.

Unless its faulty or broken or not as described, you have zero rights, take the store credit and be happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

There is one obvious question to be asked in all this, "OP, why did you not check the price of the item 1min away before purchasing in Power City?".

Take responcibility for your actions and stop looking for opinions on the legality of a shop refusing to refund you when there is nothing wrong with the item which was sold as advertised, be pissed off with yourself, not the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Cabaal wrote: »
    Kind of scary people have to ask about this situation, changing your mind is not a valid reason to seek a refund
    It's not that scary now, it it? Some people just don't know their rights, not a sin or anything.

Not all people have basic consumer rights awareness.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's not that scary now, it it? Some people just don't know their rights, not a sin or anything.

Your quite right, not all people have basic consumer rights awareness - instead they have a false sense of entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Unfortunately for shop staff it tends to be those least aware who are most vocal about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Kensington wrote: »
    Unfortunately for shop staff it tends to be those least aware who are most vocal about it!

I don't disagree, but their lack of knowledge is often matched by a corresponding ignorance on the part of shop staff (some of whom have been "trained" on dealing with consumer complaints).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't disagree, but their lack of knowledge is often matched by a corresponding ignorance on the part of shop staff (some of whom have been "trained" on dealing with consumer complaints).

I agree that some staff are completely wrong in the way they deal with some consumers and I have seen some awful ignorance, but most of the time its the consumers who scream "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!!" and threaten the shop/cashier will all sorts of reporting to this authority and that authority and demand a refund or they won't leave the shop etc etc.

Your quite right, not all people have basic consumer rights awareness - instead they have a false sense of entitlement.
    I suppose it's just like spelling, everyone is not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Would Powercity have a price promise like Currys do? Maybe look in store and see. Ask them that you seen it cheaper else where and can they match it. I know you have bought stuff already but its worth a try.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

True but these basic rights were thought when I went to school and as already mentioned there's nothing more annoying then a very vocal very wrong customer when it comes to them believing they know their rights

mad m wrote: »
    Would Powercity have a price promise like Currys do? Maybe look in store and see. Ask them that you seen it cheaper else where and can they match it. I know you have bought stuff already but its worth a try.

DID also have a price promise which can be seen on did.ie, but I see nothing on http://powercity.ie about them having one as well.

:rolleyes: Grammar police out in force.

Back on topic - The NCA have been doing a huge marketing campaign on TV/Radio to inform consumers of their rights.
    OP assumes his "rights" include an automatic refund.
    A classic example of misinformation, either assumed or passed on by word of mouth, just as portrayed in the advertisments.
    In fact when I read the thread at first - I immediately thought of the ad and the characters in it.

Advertising works!

@Bluetonic - you should know better than that. Please don't do that again.

dudara

Cabaal wrote: »
    True but these basic rights were thought when I went to school
    Ignorantly you presume everyone had the same education you did.

Have some tolerance and understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is that not the point of a uniform curriculum and requiring kids to stay in school at least until they are 16?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Eh, it's taught in Junior Cert commerce (aka Business Studies) - everyone does this in secondary school. I learned my basic consumer rights in 1st year when I was 13.

Advertisement