Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power City Refund-store credit only?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nudist wrote: »
    So i really have no rights then?

Seems odd that i cant get a basic refund for something still new....
    You do have rights, and so do the shops. I am not sure where this idea came about that you should have the right to return things, it would be very unfair on retailers.

Maybe it comes from US films & TV, I am not sure of the laws in the US but you very often hear of them telling people to return things in films like there will be definitely no problem doing it. Some stores will do it here, like argos have a money back offer on many items (excluding stuff like games or shavers etc). They will have to pay all the additional the admin costs of this policy.

Use common sense when it comes to things you presume are your "rights", put a bit of thought into what it would lead to e.g. if this was a true legal right then rival shop owners could go in and buy a shop out of stock on christmas eve, then return it all a few days later leaving the shopkeeper devestated who might have thought he had made lots of money and now has to go restocking etc.

It could also lead to a type of touting, people go in and buy up the most sought after christmas toy or game in the hope to sell it on at a high price. When they have a few or all of them leftover they could just return it. If it was in law you would have heard of such abuse by now.

Also in future ask for a discount in powercity, last week I got a €60 HD for €52 by just asking for a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

rubadub wrote: »
    You do have rights, and so do the shops. I am not sure where this idea came about that you should have the right to return things, it would be very unfair on retailers.

Maybe it comes from US films & TV, I am not sure of the laws in the US but you very often hear of them telling people to return things in films like there will be definitely no problem doing it. Some stores will do it here, like argos have a money back offer on many items (excluding stuff like games or shavers etc). They will have to pay all the additional the admin costs of this policy.

Also in future ask for a discount in powercity, I got a €60 HD for €52 by just asking for a discount.

I think the problem where consumers don't know their rights comes from where a couple of shops have a change your mind policy and allow refunds for change of mind, and consumers therefore think that all shops abide by this code where in reality its a very small minority which offer it.

I think it is Argos that I'm thinking of too where they still sometimes give a refund. Also it was commonplace in a lot of stores in the 90s to give refunds (I remember a friend used to win games in competitions and bring them back still sealed to Virgin on Henry Street with no receipt (as he won them elsewhere) and got a cash refund).

So its a combination of old practice and the fact that very shops still do it.

Still though, how anyone could think they have a legal right because they simply changed their mind is quite odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Eh, it's taught in Junior Cert commerce (aka Business Studies) - everyone does this in secondary school. I learned my basic consumer rights in 1st year when I was 13.

Not everybody takes Consumer Studies for their Junior Certificate. Please allow that other people may not have studied the same subjects as you.

dudara

Advertisement