Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly white mould

Options
  • 31-12-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭

Just under where our bird feeder is located, and where a good amount of discarded bird seed (including nijer seed) and husks fall (although I try and keep it under control!) I've just noticed today a carpet of smelly white mould forming both on the soil in the plant beds and the gravel around the edges, see attached photos.

I'm going to try and scrape as much of it away as possible now, but I'm guessing I'll need to treat the area with some kind of anti fungal treatment, can anyone recommend something? I'm going to remove the bird feeder for the time being until I've got this under control.

EDIT: I've found a few similar pictures online of a similar looking fungus on mulch, which I suppose the layer of discarded sunflower husks etc on the soil aren't too dissimilar to, and these references have said they're harmless, so do I have nothing to worry about then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i had a look. most likely a mixture of rotting seeds , food and birddroppings, put a hose on it, leave the water drop hard on it lide pressure hosing i would see no harm in it but it may cause porblems if left there for a long time, change where you feed birides now and then, i change position of birdfeeder every few weeks because of that kind of problem and it goes away within a few weeks dont worry

Advertisement