Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund for being overcharged in bar

Options
  • 31-12-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi, i was in a bar in town on a work night out on 11th Dec. I remember buying one round of drinks and asking for €20 cash back. I only just checked my bank account online and saw that the transaction was taken from my account twice, so instead of €42.90, €85.80 was taken. I rang my bank and they said it was definitely taken twice and I need to contact the bar. Just wondering if anyone has ever had something similar happen? I'm worried that when I ring, they'll say that too much time has passed since it happened. Also, if they have to refund the money onto my card, will I have to bring my card in? I haven't rang yet, as they aren't open this early :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from The Ladies Lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Do you have the receipts? Theres no argument if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

No, but on my bank statement it comes up as the name of the bar, and the exact same transaction printed twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Dont know why they said that.

Dont go near the bar. It may not even have been them.

I have seen this happen several times. Just raise a query with your bank as a double charge and it will be refunded within a few days.

Happened to me once and one of my customers as well.

You raise the query and the bank has to do the work.

Yeah that's what I thought, but the girl in the bank said I need to contact the bar and they have to refund my card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Is the time of the transaction not on the receipt?

If it is then it will prove that you were charged on the double and therefore up to the bank to refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

That happened to me at a Centra store years ago. Like you I approached the bank but they told me I needed to sort it out with the Centra store I used the Laser card in.

Anyway, I went into Centra and told the owner, showing him the double transaction on my statement. He went and got his all his receipts from the past week. He discovered that my first transaction was made when the roll of printing paper was at an end and the details were not printed out - so the cashier replaced the roll of paper and made the transaction again! I was refunded the excess money - and given the paper and milk I was going to buy free of charge :D!

So please go back to the pub with your statement and explain what happened!

It goes to show we all need to keep an eye on our statements!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Dangerous to use a laser/credit card in a bar in the first place:eek:
    Hope you get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tommy21 wrote: »
    Dangerous to use a laser/credit card in a bar in the first place:eek:
    :rolleyes:
    How/Why exactly?

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    How/Why exactly?

drinks-are-on-me.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tommy21 wrote: »
    drinks-are-on-me.jpg

Instead of having to walk around the corner in the cold and rain, stand at an ATM for 5 mins and spend the exact same amount of money anyway?

Instead of having to walk around the corner in the cold and rain, stand at an ATM for 5 mins and spend the exact same amount of money anyway?

What I meant was that the more someone drinks, the more likely they are to announce to the bar "Drinks on me!" ;) I suppose its down to the individual isn't it - personally I would never use either laser or credit card in a bar. The staff are generally under pressure and as with the OP's problem, mistakes can happen. I also would not do it as it holds everybody else up, nothing more annoying than someone ordering two pints and then being stuck behind them in the bar/pub while the transaction is taking an age to process, they can't think of their pin etc.

Probably the best thing to do is to plan ahead and get the money out when it is not cold or raining (you may have to go abroad:P).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When this happened to us in work it was the bank that called and said a customer said they have been charged twice and the bank asked for proof in the form of 2 signed receipts (before pins). It was atleast 3 months after the transactions as we had to trawl through all the paperwork and found only 1 receipt.

We faxed this to the bank and they realised it was a problem on their side. Also our till balanced that day so if the customer had come directly to us I probably wouldn't have investigated as from our side we had no 'extra' money.

I know there is no such thing as a laser charge back but, the pub would have to prove you entered your pin twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You dont have to go back to the bar. The bank need to apply for the charge back. Ring the bank again and tell them to do a charge back for the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Laser doesn't support chargebacks. And the first port of call (even for cards which do have that facility) is to query the transaction with the merchant in the first place.

This happened to me in my local offy.

The machine ran out of paper, so she reswiped it and I got charged twice. Simple mistake, simple solution.

I rang the bank and told them. The money was back in my account within a few days.

Whether its a credit card or a laser card, then its still an unauthorised transaction. You query it with the bank and you get your money back. Refund or chargeback, pick your terminology but its the same thing.

You tell the bank its false, they raise a query with the pub. The pub checks their receipts and they only have one. You get your refund.

If the bank tells you again to see the pub, tell them they are wrong, get the name of the person you are speaking to, then go higher. Complain about the transaction AND the misinformation.

Then come back and tell us please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Had this in my shop as well, customer was told by the bank that we had put the transaction through twice when we hadnt. I was able to show the customer the daily summary to prove that it only went through once on my system.

typical bank its never ever their problem until they find out that yet again it is.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This happened to me in my local offy.

The machine ran out of paper, so she reswiped it and I got charged twice. Simple mistake, simple solution.

I rang the bank and told them. The money was back in my account within a few days.

Whether its a credit card or a laser card, then its still an unauthorised transaction. You query it with the bank and you get your money back. Refund or chargeback, pick your terminology but its the same thing.

You tell the bank its false, they raise a query with the pub. The pub checks their receipts and they only have one. You get your refund.

If the bank tells you again to see the pub, tell them they are wrong, get the name of the person you are speaking to, then go higher. Complain about the transaction AND the misinformation.

Then come back and tell us please.

It's up to the merchant to refund it if they have charged you twice. Why in the world would it be the bank?? It I take cash out of an ATM and pay for something and get short changed should I call my bank??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's up to the bank to uphold the conditions of use on a laser card, that any unauthorised transactions will be refunded.

How they get the money is up to the bank.

In the case I and Shelflife gave the overcharge wasn't physically done by the merchant, it was an error in the laser system. All the customer knows is money is missing, up to bank to prove the customer authorised the transaction or refund the money.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It's up to the bank to uphold the conditions of use on a laser card, that any unauthorised transactions will be refunded.

How they get the money is up to the bank.

In the case I and Shelflife gave the overcharge wasn't physically done by the merchant, it was an error in the laser system. All the customer knows is money is missing, up to bank to prove the customer authorised the transaction or refund the money.

Quite right.

Its between the bank and the retailer.

Thanks for all the advice. I rang the bank again and a different girl in my own branch said it is up to me to go into the pub physically and the pub have to put the money back on my card. They said that usually if a transaction goes through twice, the merchant cancels the 2nd one, and it automatically goes back into your account, but because they haven't voided the 2nd one, the bank have no authorization to take money from them to give to me. It is such a nuisance, as I don't go into this bar, or out in town very often, and it's frustrating that I'll have to go in just to let them put it on my card. Also, I don't have a receipt from the drinks I bought that night, I think some may have read my reply wrong, I only have my bank statements. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

When you get cash back they ask you to put your initals on the receipt that they keep..The Bar should have this...If you only signed one then, bring the statement in with you to show them that you were charged twice....Surely they would of done a till count at end of night and they would of been over....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

mad m wrote: »
    When you get cash back they ask you to put your initals on the receipt that they keep..The Bar should have this...If you only signed one then, bring the statement in with you to show them that you were charged twice....Surely they would of done a till count at end of night and they would of been over....

Few places do this. In actual Fact, Marks and Spencers get you to initial the receipt that the you, the customer keeps (not the Merchant copy), to ensure you are aware of the cashback amount..

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

hi, happened to me trying to top up online with vodafone.
    their site kicked me out half way through transaction, so tried again to top up.
    checked my internet banking, only to find that i was deducted two 20 euro top ups, although i was only given one.
    got onto vodafone, as they overcharged me, not permanent tsb, explained the situation, and was reimbursed by vodafone.
    i believe if i did not check my account balance, vodafone would gladly have kept the extra money.

Advertisement