Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new move

Options
  • 31-12-2010 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi all,would anyone think there is a market in Galway for delivery and installation of timber swingsets
    thanks Seamie11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

seamie11 wrote: »
    Hi all,would anyone think there is a market in Galway for delivery and installation of timber swingsets
    thanks Seamie11

Having worked in Smyths, that market seemed a little slow. It's only got traction during the summer and even at that it never seemed overly busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 seamie11

Thanks,I have a workshop here in Limerick,whee I build and install for private use creches pre-schools,and get a lot of calls from the Galway regions,and was thinking of renting a warehouse there and give it a go

Thanks,I have a workshop here in Limerick,whee I build and install for private use creches pre-schools,and get a lot of calls from the Galway regions,and was thinking of renting a warehouse there and give it a go

If you are experiencing the demand then go for it. I think Smyths only did a couple of wooden swings. Maybe there is more of a preference for custom built wooden swings. Best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Really can't see how opening a new workshop in Galway, in addition to one in Limerick, or possibly closing your already established workshop in Limerick is going to help grow your business.

I can think of at least a dozen reasons why it would be a very poor business decision, assuming that you are already established, and invested, in your present location.

Prospective buyers of your product's are not going to be concerned about where the swingset's etc are manufactured.
    Price, quality and value for money are the key boxes to tick.

I'd imagine for a fraction of the cost of opening and maintaining a second/new workshop, money spent on advertising would see a far greater return.

Besides Limerick is basically down the road from Galway.

Good luck with it anyhow.

Really can't see how opening a new workshop in Galway, in addition to one in Limerick, or possibly closing your already established workshop in Limerick is going to help grow your business.

I can think of at least a dozen reasons why it would be a very poor business decision, assuming that you are already established, and invested, in your present location.

Prospective buyers of your product's are not going to be concerned about where the swingset's etc are manufactured.
    Price, quality and value for money are the key boxes to tick.

I'd imagine for a fraction of the cost of opening and maintaining a second/new workshop, money spent on advertising would see a far greater return.

Besides Limerick is basically down the road from Galway.

Good luck with it anyhow.

I'd imagine though eh could possibly only transfer one swing set at a time, if he has high enough demand it might be justified. Or you could have some ready made and put them into storage up in Galway or something...

That's assuming you carve out the wood or whatever and then just assemble at the persons house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine though eh could possibly only transfer one swing set at a time, if he has high enough demand it might be justified. Or you could have some ready made and put them into storage up in Galway or something...

That's assuming you carve out the wood or whatever and then just assemble at the persons house?

I'd think, as you've kinda already said, demand wouldn't be high enough to justify a move, or opening a second workshop; the OP actually being in this area of business should know this himself.

From what I know, selling garden furniture and children's outdoor play set's is a seasonal business, and strange as it may seem even a bad spring/summer weather wise, would greatly affect sales.

Also is the OP planning on moving to Galway themselves as well, commuting from Limerick to the Galway workshop daily or hiring staff to work in Galway?

I don't mean to sound negative, but IMO at this (early?)stage of the business, and given the general economy situation, spending money on anything another than a bit of advertising and other essential day to day cost is madness.

Bluntly, the OP's suggestion put forward in the 3rd post makes no sense whatsoever.
    It shouldn't happen, but if it does it will fail IMO.

If the OP is serious about making a go of it, they should look at attended part time night classes in entrepreneurship or starting your own business, before investing a large amount of money in a poorly researched idea.
    Classes such as these general start in the new year.

Why not try to find someone here in Galway with the skills and a big enough van to do this.

You could make the kit yourself and pay him to install it.

If you could get a few more like him in other regions you could focus on selling and making it from your workshop and not have to think about a second site.

Hi all,thanks for the replies,at the moment ive just a temporary workshop at the back of a furniture store,and now they have relocated,so there wont be any passing traffic at all now,at the moment im paying for warehouse,paying apt rental,etc,so ive located a warehouse with offices etc, in galway,so ill move there permantly,so im trying to amalgamate everything together,might even stay in the office,and keep all the bills at a minimum,i deliver and install nationwide,and im normally busy from feb,to xmas,installed a unit here xmas eve,I import a range of flatpack units,and i also customise to suit creches,etc

Hi all,thanks for the replies,at the moment ive just a temporary workshop at the back of a furniture store,and now they have relocated,so there wont be any passing traffic at all now,at the moment im paying for warehouse,paying apt rental,etc,so ive located a warehouse with offices etc, in galway,so ill move there permantly,so im trying to amalgamate everything together,might even stay in the office,and keep all the bills at a minimum,i deliver and install nationwide,and im normally busy from feb,to xmas,installed a unit here xmas eve,I import a range of flatpack units,and i also customise to suit creches,etc

Sounds impressive. Do you have a website? My friends dad makes spiral stair cases, he gets most of his business off the net.

Yes I have a website,it is
    www.adventureworldswingsets.net
    www.playsetsdirect.net
    Irish agent for Commercial www.larslaj.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Go for it Seamie11, but do it from your base in Limerick. It's only a good hour away, so i think renting here would be too costly compared to delivering from where you are. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply,ive been building playground equipment,1st in the usa for 6years,ive come from an engineering background,so i can design and customise to suit a customers specifications,ive even built a massive tree house here a few years ago,with upper internal playrooms,with the tree going up through the centre,and ive been in business here since 2003,but anytime ive been in galway installing,ive noticed that it is much more vibrant than here in limerick,just seems to me that there is much more traffic,people around,maybe ill do more advertising in the local papers there,and see if i can get a few orders,whats the best paper up there
    thanks seamie11

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Unlike the others there, I don't think it's necessarily a mistake to move, given that a change of premises has to happen anyway.

Seems to me that if you're going to be paying rent anyway, Galway is as good as Limerick - and there's enough vacant warehouse etc space here that if you're hard-assed enough in negotiating you should get a decent deal. Also, given that you sell nationwide, a Galway address may seem more attractive than a Limerick one to the mammys in D4. And even a depressed Galway has a vibrant arts scene, so you may find there's scope to branch out into other things.

If you're looking for more business advice, check out the Entrepreneurship forum.

Good luck then.

Hi thanks for the reply,thats the way I was thinking,and there is so much happening up there,Galway Races,Arts Festivals,Clarinbridge oysterFestival,and the Round the world races coming again,do you know of an industrial estate,Killerin Park,im looking at a few units there next week
    Thanks Seamie11

<spam removed, once you have a sig you can put it there.
    Until then use www.adverts.ie, biko>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any business offers you may have seanie, make them on adverts.ie or similar.
    We'll help you with ideas etc but if you want to use this forum to make money it's a no.
    Boards isn't a free advertising site.

Thanks Biko,I understand
    seamie11

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hi thanks for the reply,thats the way I was thinking,and there is so much happening up there,Galway Races,Arts Festivals,Clarinbridge oysterFestival,and the Round the world races coming again,do you know of an industrial estate,Killerin Park,im looking at a few units there next week
    Thanks Seamie11

I know about lots of industrial estates ;)

http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/industrial-estates-business-parks-and.html

Funnily enough, though this site is about public transport it gets a lot of visits from people looking for workplaces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement