Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom connection excessive overcharging

Options
  • 31-12-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I recently moved house and wanted to get a phone and broadband connection and am getting over chared by Eircom for the connection. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.

A phone connection was arranged with Eircom who apparently are the only people who can make a new connection. When the line was connected there were two things of note - i) the connection cost should have been zero but I was later told that the connection fee would be over 120 EUR and ii) a contract has been foisted onto me that I did not and do not agree with.

For the connection - there was no wiring needed, the house had a previous phone connection from Eircom, including an Eircom installed phone socket with the Eircom branding. According to the Eircom website, there should have been no fee. When I asked customer service about this connection fee, at first they couldn't tell me the price of the connection, this would only be presented on the first bill. Then I did get a connection charge it was the full price of a completely new connection including new wiring, despite this being contrary to the information that was available on the Eircom website.

I also recieved a letter saying that if I didn't reply within 5 days that a contract would be automatically started. I didn't get a chance to reply within these five days, because of the lateness of the receipt of the letter. Apparently I have been tied into some contract that I don't want and have not agreed to.

I called customer service (that was a farce, the person on the end of the line had no interest in helping whatsoever) to cancel the 'contract'. This didn't happen despite being told by the person on the end of the phone that it can be cancelled. What happens next is that the line gets cut off, put into some state where I can't go to any other provider of telecoms services and my so far limited experience with Eircom would not dispose me to think of going anywhere near Eircom.

So firstly, I was not told what the connection fee would be. When I want to verify that there should be no charge, I was told that this will be on the first bill. But I don't want a bill for something where no one can tell me what the charge will be. Accepting a bill means being tied into a contract which I have not agreed to and for an excessive charge that I have not agreed to and can't be told about despite talking to the very people who are responsible for the chare.

This is the main problem - how can Eircom i) not know what the connection charge should be, ii) charge a fee contrary to their own information and iii) unilaterlly decide a contract is in place when no such thing has been agreed.

It incredibly frustrating, anyone have any advise on how to proceed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

slainte_23 wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently moved house and wanted to get a phone and broadband connection and am getting over chared by Eircom for the connection. I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.

A phone connection was arranged with Eircom who apparently are the only people who can make a new connection. When the line was connected there were two things of note - i) the connection cost should have been zero but I was later told that the connection fee would be over 120 EUR and ii) a contract has been foisted onto me that I did not and do not agree with.

For the connection - there was no wiring needed, the house had a previous phone connection from Eircom, including an Eircom installed phone socket with the Eircom branding. According to the Eircom website, there should have been no fee. When I asked customer service about this connection fee, at first they couldn't tell me the price of the connection, this would only be presented on the first bill. Then I did get a connection charge it was the full price of a completely new connection including new wiring, despite this being contrary to the information that was available on the Eircom website.

I also recieved a letter saying that if I didn't reply within 5 days that a contract would be automatically started. I didn't get a chance to reply within these five days, because of the lateness of the receipt of the letter. Apparently I have been tied into some contract that I don't want and have not agreed to.

I called customer service (that was a farce, the person on the end of the line had no interest in helping whatsoever) to cancel the 'contract'. This didn't happen despite being told by the person on the end of the phone that it can be cancelled. What happens next is that the line gets cut off, put into some state where I can't go to any other provider of telecoms services and my so far limited experience with Eircom would not dispose me to think of going anywhere near Eircom.

So firstly, I was not told what the connection fee would be. When I want to verify that there should be no charge, I was told that this will be on the first bill. But I don't want a bill for something where no one can tell me what the charge will be. Accepting a bill means being tied into a contract which I have not agreed to and for an excessive charge that I have not agreed to and can't be told about despite talking to the very people who are responsible for the chare.

This is the main problem - how can Eircom i) not know what the connection charge should be, ii) charge a fee contrary to their own information and iii) unilaterlly decide a contract is in place when no such thing has been agreed.

It incredibly frustrating, anyone have any advise on how to proceed?

Hi slainte_23,

Can you private message me with your eircom account number or order number and I can look into the connection fee you were charged.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement