Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prioject Books ??

• 31-12-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭

So, My brother got me a photography book this year for christmas.
    Michael Freeman's 101 Top Digital Photography Tips. (Great book i must say) :)
    Its a great source of reading and learning. and makes me realise how important some things are in photography.

My question is...
    Do any of you know of a book that would have projects to do on a few different categories.

Like say there is a chapter on slow shutter speeds, then at the end it gives you a mini project at the end of each chapter to do, to learn and understand what you have read.
    I know some will say "take what you have read in the book and put it to practice to learn it"
    but im thinking more of the lines of the book would have an example to try follow, to try get similiar results,

Yes some will say check out flicker for any category/Chapter for examples, but when on location or out and about i dont have internet,
    so Books are great for in the feild and can be carried arround with ease.

In trying to get similiar results i would learn and understand why i didnt get it first time and eventually get it it close to what was been shown on page and explained.

Cheers
    Danny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

It sounds like you know what to do already!

Take your camera out somewhere, see a picture you'd like to take. Then, take that picture with a range of shutter speeds from 1/1000 say to something slower, like 1/2 or 1/1 - then you can compare your results to each other and see what happened when you changed it - this is easy if you have digital camera as the image will tell you what shutter speed, aperture, etc you used. For shutter speeds try moving and static objects.

Do the same with aperture, go from wide open (1/4.5 or whatever) to closed 1/22 or so. See what that does. Same with ISO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

Ok maybe using slow shutter speed as an example wasnt the best idea i had,

Projects as in ,
    1.Fast moving vehicle's, Trains, cars.

2. Proper way to catch water drops.

3. Shoot Cloud shapes while keeping the lanscape clear also.

4. Macro shots.

5.night shots/Star trails.

were an auther would explain a little of how to take certain shots. then i try copy.

and no doubt about it there will be things i would never have even thought about.

maybe im looking for for too much direction from a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Why don't we help you out with a few ideas?

- Practice panning. Visit Mondello park and take some car/motorbike shots. Panning makes all the difference to a motor shot.

- Learn about perspective. Try shooting the same scene with different distances from the subject with varying focal lengths.

- Spend a day shooting in black and white looking for interesting tones and patterns.

- Spend a day shooting with a prime lens e.g 50mm.

- Ask strangers if you can take their photo. Builds confidence!

- Try some trick photoraphy like this

- Best of all, check out the Photo Challenge sub-forum!

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

thanks kelly1,

sounds perfect for practise and learning with ideas i would NOT have thought of.

Advertisement