Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student getting pregnant during degree

Options
  • 31-12-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

just looking for opinions/experiences.
    I'm a 35 year old mature student doing nursing with 2 children. I would love another child, but don't want to wait until I finish my course, which would be 2014.
    I was thinking I could try to plan getting pregnant so that I was due in early June, just after my exams. I would be in placement in the hospitals until I'm 6 months pregnant, but after that, I would only be in classes in college until the end of term, which hopefully wouldn't be too hard.

I'd have to go back to college when the baby is only 3 months old, which would be really hard, but I've a good family support network.

Has anyone done this, or know anyone that did? I know its a huge undertaking, but really feel it would be my last chance. I definitely don't want to take a year off college, as I want to qualify and start working.

any opinions appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd take a year out.

I know of, but not personally, a mature student who had a baby and took a year off and came back this year to finish her studies. It'll be hard but it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I know of a few people that had babies whilst in college but they all took a year out. In an ideal world your plan sounds good but what are the chances that you would get pregnant exactly when you want too. What would happen if you were ill during the pregnancy and then missed your placement? Wouldnt you be expected to make that time up to the HSE which usually happens during the summer months.
    If you are dead set on having another one then I would approach it with an open mind, find out what would happen if you had to take a year out. I totally understand why you wouldnt want to wait until after you finish your course though, your course will always be there.

Advertisement