Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas on Solar Panel and Wood Stove

• 31-12-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey

I am seriously thinking bout getting solar panels and wood burning stove in as the cold snaps has gas on 24/7. I have no idea in relation to where to begin. I have an existing gas fire but am looking to replace with wood burning stove with back bioler. (checked SEAI site) its ok but does not weigh up the advan or disadvan of installing such systems

I live in a 4 bedroom semi detached house about 5 years old well insulated bar rafters in attic. Have about 10 Rads two of which are doubles.

my budget could be around the 6/7k braket.

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what type of back boiler stove (Make,Model,Output etc) is ideal for a room of 13ft x 13ft and hope to heat the rads (central heating) additionally looking for the tube style solar panels what area would i be looking to cover (Make,Model,Output etc and how many panels) (roof is ideal location tends to be in south facing sun all day long).

I think my current plumbing is a closed system (single tank in attic)and have a 140lyr cylinder but fireplace is closely located to cylinder upstairs so wouldnt need much rooting or digging up floors (hopefully).

Would like a heat dumb to heat (Rads) or enough to add to an extension should i build on in future.

I seldom use my emmersion as back up but will still leave the gas in as an alternative back up even though standard rate will apply if i don't use it

I'm conscience of the gov going to add further carbon taxes and add a hike in gas prices but at this rate cant afford to heat home as it stands.

Comments welcome

Con

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

PM sent to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Could someone point me in the right direction as to what type of back boiler stove (Make,Model,Output etc) is ideal for a room of 13ft x 13ft and hope to heat the rads (central heating) additionally looking for the tube style solar panels what area would i be looking to cover (Make,Model,Output etc and how many panels) (roof is ideal location tends to be in south facing sun all day long).

I think my current plumbing is a closed system (single tank in attic)and have a 140lyr cylinder but fireplace is closely located to cylinder upstairs so wouldnt need much rooting or digging up floors (hopefully).

Would like a heat dumb to heat (Rads) or enough to add to an extension should i build on in future.

Con
    To heat radiators thoughout the hosue with a wood stove requires a pretty sizeable unit. I use a range in our house, and we're well pleased, but we have about 140 acres of forestry and a few days thinning with the chainsaw sees the wood shed topped up. If you have access to timber, it is a good move.

If you are going to have to buy all your wood pre-cut, you may want to consider a pellet stove instead. They are more efficient by a long mile than any back-boiler stoves I have come across.

Your solar is really a separate issue. The only thing you need to watch out for is that you will need a triple coil cylinder if you plan to keep the gas as an option. The coil for a wood stove needs to be 1". The heat dump radiator will not really provide useful heat as such - just extends the life of the solar circuit by preventing overheating.

While your existing gas system is closed and pressurised, a back boiler will have to be open vented, as will the new triple coil cylinder.

Good luck with the project. A good move... Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Laoisdub

Hi,

New to the boards AND to buying a stove - help please! I just want to heat the room - 35 by 20 ft. What am I looking for in a stove? Where should I look? Who does what - do I buy the stove and installation together? Do I need a fireplace person to prepare my fireplace then a plumber to install??? So ignorant!

Cheers for any help!

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭zoom_cool

Are you heating rads or just the room space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

a back boiler will have to be open vented,
    Would a pressure vessel and Tp valve venting to outside be safe enough?

IMO its a good idea to use a thermal store instead of a cylinder; it allows the heat to build up over time, then when CH pump activates even the furthest rads can heat up.
    I'd be more concerned with log size than room size when buying the stove; a small firebox can be a pain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement