Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student getting pregnant during nursing degree

Options
  • 31-12-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,

just looking for opinions/experiences.
    I'm a 35 year old mature student doing nursing with 2 children. I would love another child, but don't want to wait until I finish my course, which would be 2014.
    I was thinking I could try to plan getting pregnant so that I was due in early June, just after my exams. I would be in placement in the hospitals until I'm 6 months pregnant, but after that, I would only be in classes in college until the end of term, which hopefully wouldn't be too hard.

I'd have to go back to college when the baby is only 3 months old, which would be really hard, but I've a good family support network.

Has anyone done this, or know anyone that did? I know its a huge undertaking, but really feel it would be my last chance. I definitely don't want to take a year off college, as I want to qualify and start working.

any opinions appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Luellen08

Hi, I can see your dilemma and I will probably be in the same boat as you in a few years (hopefully!). I too am thinking of returning to college to do nursing as a mature student (I'm 30) & balance a family at the same time. If I were you I would go for it - Many women are able to balance having a baby and going to college at the same time, plus you say you have the support from home too, which is great. Just don't put yourself under too much pressure for it to work out as planned, myself and my husband are trying for our 1st baby & finding it is taking some time, so planning for us is not easy!

I don't want to take over your post on this thread but I just wanted to ask your advice? I am in a bit of a career crossroads and have always wanted to be a nurse, but unfortunately didn't go down that route in college at the time. So I am thinking of applying this year & really hope I get it. Can I ask - how do you find nursing as a mature student? Did you find it easy to get a placement? And balancing work with kids - is it easy? Thanks & good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭delama

Hi Luellen,

thanks for the response. With regards to your question, I'm finding the course brilliant, but hard work. My two kids are both in school, so I only really need childcare for first thing in the morning, and then in the afternoon if i'm not back.
    On placement, its a different story. I've to be on the wards by 7.30am, which means getting to the locker rooms in the hospital by 7.15, changing into uniform, and getting down there. Its a very early start, so you'd need a minder for the kids for a good bit in the morning. Then on long days in the hospital, I could be there to 7.30pm or 8.30pm, so really not home till 8.30 or 9.30pm. But when on long days, its only 3 or 4 days a week, not 5. First and second year don't have too much placement where I am, DCU, but 3 and 4 year are mostly placement. Theres also assignments to be completed and handed in while out on placement, so lots or research and writing essays.
    Its hard work, but really worth it. If its something you want to do, you should definitely go for it. At the very least go through the application process. Theres nothing to lose doing that. But to warn you - I was completely stressed out last year, from about March until finding out I could a place in July. The waiting game is absolute torture!! Good luck:)

Thanks for the advice Delama... (bit of a late reply sorry) I am deffo going to go for it! I am just worried that compared to other Mature students I don't have any work experience in hospitals or anything like that, so it will be just my application. I know I am making the right move though and sure if I don't get it this time around, I will try again next year. Thanks again and I hope you are a little more further on in deciding what you will do about baby #3? Good luck with what you decide...

Hi Luellen,

I had absolutely no experience in a hospital, or a home or anything, so don't worry about that. You'll definitely need to know what you're getting into, but if you're dying to do it, I'm sure you've been reading as much as you can. Have you submitted your CAO app?
    Let me know how you get on. I'll be dying to hear. Which college do you hope to go to?

Thanks, I haven't submitted my cao app yet, there's a meeting on in the college this week I want to ask a few Q's so Ill get it sorted this weekend hopefully. Ok, don't scare me... what should I be reading?? I have read up on the courses, colleges and nursing handbook from nursingcareers. Can you recommend other things I should be reading at this stage? I am applying to Athlone (1st choice) and Galway. I'm also hoping the jobs embargo will end between now and by the time we are all going to be looking for jobs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mrs.matt.bomer

hey just wondering how you got on? did u the baby? am in similar position am starting nursing in september but dont want to wait till i qualify to have number 3. did u cope??? thanks :D

Hiya,

Yep, had my little boy last november, and I just passed 2nd year. I didn't take the year out, just deferred a 4 week placement, which I made up after my exams in May. It was tough going, but well worth it. I planned it around my timetable, so I had him near christmas holidays, and I had about 9 weeks off, but was studying for exams most of that time. They sleep a lot at that stage, so that helped! I think once I was organised and had plans for everything that needed to be done, it worked out, plus I have great support between my husband and my mam - and my two girls are a great help!
    I defo think you should go for it. What college did you get into? I'm in ?DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrs.matt.bomer

starting psych in TCD so will wait till i start and get a good idea of what the schedule will be. wld prob time to have it like you once i know when my placements will be so i am not at the last stages during placement. but at the moment its all up in the air until i start. wld also have to work out the logistics of having my mum come over to mind the baby to as that's the only way i will cope

Advertisement