Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Eircom

Options
  • 31-12-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I will be relocating in one month and will require a broadband provider.
    I'm looking at several including Eircom.

I have one question that needs an answer and I figure where else to get a reliable response than from the horses mouth.

What is Eircoms stance on restricting/filtering/dicating wht their customers can and can't access? At least from a net neutrality point of view?

We've seen issues in the past here where Eircom have restricted users from visiting thepiratebay.org while other providers haven't.

Assume I'm a new customer moving to eircom - can you assure me of a DEFINATE policy so that I can conclude that Eircom will not decide to restrict access to some sites in future? I can certainly accept sites being blocked where there is a STATE LAW in place - this was not the case for the site mentioned above.

On the other hand, if we assume I am an Eircom customer should I just accept that this is how eircom operates and they will make decisions about my internet and dictate what they agree is best for me?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

iRock wrote: »
    Hi there,

I will be relocating in one month and will require a broadband provider.
    I'm looking at several including Eircom.

I have one question that needs an answer and I figure where else to get a reliable response than from the horses mouth.

What is Eircoms stance on restricting/filtering/dicating wht their customers can and can't access? At least from a net neutrality point of view?

We've seen issues in the past here where Eircom have restricted users from visiting thepiratebay.org while other providers haven't.

Assume I'm a new customer moving to eircom - can you assure me of a DEFINATE policy so that I can conclude that Eircom will not decide to restrict access to some sites in future? I can certainly accept sites being blocked where there is a STATE LAW in place - this was not the case for the site mentioned above.

On the other hand, if we assume I am an Eircom customer should I just accept that this is how eircom operates and they will make decisions about my internet and dictate what they agree is best for me?

Thanks,

Hi iRock

Thanks for posting.
    On our first day on Boards we decided to create a thread stating eircoms stand on blocking of sites and in particular the illegal downloading of music.
    Apart from this action eircom will not be filtering or dictating to our online customers.
    The full transcript is herehttp://bit.ly/gIADCnand if you have any further queries just let me know.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hi Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

iRock wrote: »
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hi iRock
    No problem:)
    Tony