Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for Washer-Dryer (combo)

• 31-12-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭

I'm getting very confused about washer-dryers, so looking for some recommendations :-)

I know ideally it would be better to have separate washing machine & dryer but we don't have the space.

Miele seems to be the best brand, but very expensive. Would be willing to pay up to around 600/700 euro for a good reliable washer-dryer. We have a baby on the way which is the reason we're looking to change.

Any recommendations, opinions are all welcome! Many thanks! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

Have a Siemens built-in washer/dryer myself, and they are also near the top end of the market.
    I understand that they are the same as Bosch and Neff (with some small differences).
    I have to say though, that in 5 years now it hasn't given any trouble, except for something blocking the filter about a month ago, which was very easy to fix myself.
    It also doesn't need to have a vent kit for the dryer, or a tank that has to be emptied after every drying cycle.It just pumps the water out the outlet hose!
    Even if you don't need a built-in model, the normal machines are exactly the same.
    Have a look at them in the sales!

Couldn't recommend them highly enough to be honest!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My mother has a 13 year old Whirlpool washer/dryer in her house.

Bought from new and never given any grief what so ever.Used on an allmost daily basis too whether its washing or drying.

Seems to be that all the older models and makes are better than the new makes and models.

Bosch and Miele are also a good reliable make,but I cant justify the price for Miele or Bosch.

I have an Indesit 6 kilo built in washing machine in my kitchen,and also a Beko 7 kilo condensor dryer,that is freestanding,but I had it built into/hidden the kitchen to blend in better with the rest of the built in appliences.

Both have worked very very well and never given any trouble at all.

very happy with both.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

giggles wrote: »
    I'm getting very confused about washer-dryers, so looking for some recommendations :-)

I know ideally it would be better to have separate washing machine & dryer but we don't have the space.

Miele seems to be the best brand, but very expensive. Would be willing to pay up to around 600/700 euro for a good reliable washer-dryer. We have a baby on the way which is the reason we're looking to change.

Any recommendations, opinions are all welcome! Many thanks! :-)

Miele aren't the best,both Bosch and Siemens are much better,and much cheaper. It genuinely annoys me that people throw away so much money on Miele goods when there are two much better brands for so much less.
    Problem is the washer dryers have such small drum sizes. If you're looking for just a 5 kilo wash one,then theres a good Bosch at 500 in Power City(I'd rather it to the siemens). If you want a bigger one go for the LG 7 kilo wash one at about 800 quid.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    My mother has a 13 year old Whirlpool washer/dryer in her house.

Bought from new and never given any grief what so ever.Used on an allmost daily basis too whether its washing or drying.

Seems to be that all the older models and makes are better than the new makes and models.

Bosch and Miele are also a good reliable make,but I cant justify the price for Miele or Bosch.

I have an Indesit 6 kilo built in washing machine in my kitchen,and also a Beko 7 kilo condensor dryer,that is freestanding,but I had it built into/hidden the kitchen to blend in better with the rest of the built in appliences.

Both have worked very very well and never given any trouble at all.

very happy with both.:)
    Whirlpool aren't made the same way any more,they're not half as good as they used to be. And Bosch goods are about the same price as Whirlpool nowadays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

greetings wrote: »
    Miele aren't the best,both Bosch and Siemens are much better,and much cheaper. It genuinely annoys me that people throw away so much money on Miele goods when there are two much better brands for so much less.
    Problem is the washer dryers have such small drum sizes. If you're looking for just a 5 kilo wash one,then theres a good Bosch at 500 in Power City(I'd rather it to the siemens). If you want a bigger one go for the LG 7 kilo wash one at about 800 quid.

Whirlpool aren't made the same way any more,they're not half as good as they used to be. .

Hense me stating that its a 13 year old machine,and the older makes are better quality than the new makes and models these days.;)

The cheapest of the makes say fifteen years ago are probably about the same quality of one of the higher priced brands nowadays,it's a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Totally disagree that Miele are not worth the extra. I worked in a hotel were we had a regular Miele washing machine and the poor thing was put through terrible abuse and it didn't break down once in the 10 years I was there, the few times we had to call them out to repair it was when the door seal became ripped, again through abuse. The Miele repair service was also great, they would usually call the next day and fix it in no time with no messing about. I think they are well worth the investment.

chuchyface wrote: »
    Totally disagree that Miele are not worth the extra. I worked in a hotel were we had a regular Miele washing machine and the poor thing was put through terrible abuse and it didn't break down once in the 10 years I was there, the few times we had to call them out to repair it was when the door seal became ripped, again through abuse. The Miele repair service was also great, they would usually call the next day and fix it in no time with no messing about. I think they are well worth the investment.

Was that an industrial machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

No it wasn't, it was an ordinary Miele, we also had an industrial machine which actually gave more trouble than the Miele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll now lookout for Bosch or Siemens. I did see Siemens WD14H420GB (7kg Wash And 4kg Full Tumble Dry) in powercity website but they've increased the priced by €50 since I started looking into this [now €930!!]

I hear Bosch WV28429GB Logixx would also be a good buy (both this and the above siemens are in the top Which best buys and I've read good reviews for them)..

Now where to find it in Ireland, can't spot this bosch model on any of the sites I've checked so far: DID, powercity, currys, harvey norman, pixmania. Any other suggestions much welcomed :-)

Thanks again everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

you can ask any retailer to special order it in for you ,very few ,if any , would keep it in stock

• Advertisement

knighted_1 wrote: »
    you can ask any retailer to special order it in for you ,very few ,if any , would keep it in stock

What he said,as long as they do Bosch they can get that machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 smalltalker

Does anyone have any opinion on Samsung washer-dryers?

My Indesit has reached the terminal flashy-lights stage, and I need a new washer dryer. Budget of max 600. The dryer will only be used infrequently, for small loads.

I came across the Samsung WD8704RJA and my main question is the reliability of Samsung machines, if known. The warranty looks good... a little too good perhaps? :p It gets a good write-up on Which?, other than the drying time, which I could live with.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-03-WD8704

I love the sound of the Air Refresh cycle, although I assume it is just a gimmick meant to hook in suckers like me.

If that's too much of a leap into the unknown I think the Bosch WVD24460GB is the best for the money we can spend. Load sizes are a bit scabby though. Any thoughts?

(WRT Indesit - Can't believe I have to throw out a perfectly good machine just because the electronics are wrecked. When it decides to work, it functions perfectly, goes through a full wash and dry cycle no problem. What a shocking waste.)

Common misconception about indesit and hotpoint machines -flashy lights does not mean the end -your machine is communicating a fault code to you which very few independent repairers have access to -this is why they tell you it's terminal because they don't know how to read the fault code -even some branded engineers can't do it -

Post up what lights are flashing and what the flashing sequence is and I will see if I can help you

Two different sets of lights are flashing, it changes sometimes after the power is cut off and put back on (when the lights are flashing it won't turn itself off). Either: (i) every single one of the lights flashing or (ii) all of the top row of lights flashing, including the standby, door etc but only the dryer cycle (bottom most) light flashing of the vertical lights. Sounds pretty bad, right?! :eek:

I did some googling of this problem (had similar problem 2 years ago that resolved when machine was powered off/on) but the impression I got from my searches this time was that the machine is beyond economic repair.

That said, I have no clue about electronics or other components. I was told a call out from indesit would be 140 plus parts, iirc. An independent engineer also didn't seem interested in fixing it. But I would be if there was anything that could be done!

Thanks

Edit: Should say it's a WIDL102 washer dryer. Only the finest for moi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Two different sets of lights are flashing, it changes sometimes after the power is cut off and put back on (when the lights are flashing it won't turn itself off). Either: (i) every single one of the lights flashing or (ii) all of the top row of lights flashing, including the standby, door etc but only the dryer cycle (bottom most) light flashing of the vertical lights. Sounds pretty bad, right?! :eek:

I did some googling of this problem (had similar problem 2 years ago that resolved when machine was powered off/on) but the impression I got from my searches this time was that the machine is beyond economic repair.

That said, I have no clue about electronics or other components. I was told a call out from indesit would be 140 plus parts, iirc. An independent engineer also didn't seem interested in fixing it. But I would be if there was anything that could be done!

Thanks

Edit: Should say it's a WIDL102 washer dryer. Only the finest for moi!

Had a similar 'flashy light' problem with my Hotpoint washer drier last year.

Shop that I bought it in said it was kaput and tried to sell me a new one :mad:. I went to another shop for a quote and, to their credit, they told me that Hotpoint would repair the machine for a fixed charge which would cover the callout & any necessary parts.

Had Hotpoint out again this week repairing the same machine (heating element this time). Eur109 which covered callout & part.

Had Hotpoint out again this week repairing the same machine (heating element this time). Eur109 which covered callout & part.
    Y'see, that's more reasonable - I would be prepared to throw that kind of good money after bad to avoid the massive outlay on a new machine!

Just turned the power off and on again a couple of times and the lights have stopped flashing - this happens every so often. I'm now going to go on a mad dash around the house and wash as much as I can. Don't know how much longer I can go on like this, we have an 8-week old baby as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Y'see, that's more reasonable - I would be prepared to throw that kind of good money after bad to avoid the massive outlay on a new machine!

Hotpoint are owned by Indesit so I'd imagine a similar service is available for Indesit machines. The guy that called with me was in a Hotpoint / Indesit van anyway.

Pretty sure the charge is Eur139 if you ring them, and Eur109 if you book on line. Dear enough, but it covers all, including a 2nd call out if parts need to be ordered and includes a 90 warranty.

You would be best calling hotpoint for 109 euros -but it can be fixed don't go throwing if out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Does anyone have any opinion on Samsung washer-dryers?

My Indesit has reached the terminal flashy-lights stage, and I need a new washer dryer. Budget of max 600. The dryer will only be used infrequently, for small loads.

I came across the Samsung WD8704RJA and my main question is the reliability of Samsung machines, if known. The warranty looks good... a little too good perhaps? :p It gets a good write-up on Which?, other than the drying time, which I could live with.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-03-WD8704

I love the sound of the Air Refresh cycle, although I assume it is just a gimmick meant to hook in suckers like me.

If that's too much of a leap into the unknown I think the Bosch WVD24460GB is the best for the money we can spend. Load sizes are a bit scabby though. Any thoughts?

(WRT Indesit - Can't believe I have to throw out a perfectly good machine just because the electronics are wrecked. When it decides to work, it functions perfectly, goes through a full wash and dry cycle no problem. What a shocking waste.)

I too am interested in the Samsung WD8704RJA. All the reviews on the web indicate it's a great machine and good warranty included as standard, including a 10 year warrant on the motor. I guess Samsung is considered a new player in the Laundry market in Europe so haven't heard much input about people using it for 10 years etc... For the money, it's appears to be pretty good value for a well rounded machine on features and ease of use. There doesn't appear to be any stock listed on the Powercity websidte, so wonder what the lead time is? Not sure if my current 10 year whirlpool washer dryer will last a few weeks - already some minor leakage :eek:

It wouldn't be longer than about 2 weeks I'd imagine if they were to order it for you. Samsung stock comes from England,unless it's some of the Dimplex stock,but they don't do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Yes they confirmed 2 wks for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

IN the market for a washer/dryer on the current market - preferably a built in one but I guess their drums are smaller?

Makes and places to they appreciated.

Advertisement