Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry to Law

Options
  • 31-12-2010 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

This post is for my best friend. Basically he is 24, has always wanted to study law but left school with just a (fairly decent) junior cert due to family circumstances. Now he feels mature enough and ready to try get to where he wants, he looked into a few part time courses but none of them were practical as he cant afford to give up his job for a part time course. and also he has a 3 year old son who lives with his sons mam so he tries see he as much as he can. He 100% wants this though and asked me to ask for some help.

all help appreciated, thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Its a tough one. He will need proof he is academically capable to do the course so he will need to do some sort of course.

I looked up Kilroy's college as they do distance learning but I couldn't really find anything related to Law. Open University would also do law type courses.

Would he save for a year and then do a year long course?

He needs to get in contact with the colleges and ask what is required for mature entry into Law.

I suggest contacting Clodagh Byrne who is the mature student officer in Trinity College. She might be able to put your friend in contact with one or two mature students who got into Law via the TAP - Trinity Access Programme. http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/about/ I know for a fact there is one student who got a place through this course studying Law.

Clodagh phone (01) 896 1386 or email mature.student.officer@tcd.ie

There is also a Mature Student Open Evening on the 13th January and their Open Day is the 22nd January if he fancies getting more information that way.

He may also want to contact Thomond Coogan at the Adult Education centre at UCD. http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/courses/access_ahs.htm
    They have a part time access to Arts and Humanities programme that covers Policitics and History, which are both offered as degrees with Law at UCD. That might be a way of getting in. I'm not sure though. Thomond would have a good idea though.

I don't know if that helps. He basically needs to send out a few emails and contact the departments and ask what do they look for in a mature student entry and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭petemg

Thanks for all that Larianne, i have passed it on to him and he is looking into it more and also found some legal studies courses at Liberties College, evening course and FETAC L5, so could be a good starting point.

Just for the record, the Stella Cottrell book you suggested on my leaving cert post has helped massively, i have now mastered mind maps and the have helped revision big time, so thanks a million. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

petemg wrote: »
    Thanks for all that Larianne, i have passed it on to him and he is looking into it more and also found some legal studies courses at Liberties College, evening course and FETAC L5, so could be a good starting point.

Just for the record, the Stella Cottrell book you suggested on my leaving cert post has helped massively, i have now mastered mind maps and the have helped revision big time, so thanks a million. :)

That's great news on both counts! Glad to help.

Keep us updated on your progress! You are doing brilliant! Well done. :)

Advertisement