Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying .ie domains

Options
  • 31-12-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in - if not, apologies.

I have a question regarding buying .ie domains. Are you able to buy a .ie domain off a current owner as you can with other domains (transfer ownership), or do you have to go through the same 'prove your entitlement' procedure as you would if you were buying a fresh .ie domain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in - if not, apologies.

I have a question regarding buying .ie domains. Are you able to buy a .ie domain off a current owner as you can with other domains (transfer ownership), or do you have to go through the same 'prove your entitlement' procedure as you would if you were buying a fresh .ie domain?
    Selling .ie domains is a very tricky thing and often frowned upon. The main thing is that there has to be evidence of entitlement. Generally .ie domains can be transferred when a business or company is purchased but other than that it is a very gray area.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

That's awkward. They really don't make it easy in this country to set up non-business websites.

The current owner of the domain bought it to use as a resource/info type site. Then, as often happens, gave up and appears to have abandoned it after what looks to be 2 or 3 blog posts 6 months ago. Good intentions that turned to naught when it was discovered that these things take work, no doubt.

I can probably buy the .com for about $100, which I'll probably do, but it would help to own the .ie as well. This is one of the reasons I've tended to avoid messing about with .ie domains at all - too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

This is one of the reasons I've tended to avoid messing about with .ie domains at all - too much trouble.

Generally, all you need to do is send a scanned copy or a fax on headed paper to the registrar when makiing the application. It's not that much trouble and any kind of plausible reason for owning the domain will generally work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The official policy and process is outlined here:

http://www.iedr.ie/index.php/mnumods/mnuxferdomholder

The IEDR do not approve of sales of IE domain names, so if it mentioned anywhere they might actually cancel the domain entirely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Blacknight wrote: »
    The IEDR do not approve of sales of IE domain names, so if it mentioned anywhere they might actually cancel the domain entirely

That's not what the page you just linked to says - it outlines the procedure for transferring a domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

That's not what the page you just linked to says - it outlines the procedure for transferring a domain.

It's a statement of fact based on experience dealing with the IEDR.

If you want to ignore my advice feel free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

bhickey wrote: »
    Generally, all you need to do is send a scanned copy or a fax on headed paper to the registrar when makiing the application. It's not that much trouble and any kind of plausible reason for owning the domain will generally work.

A business/association doesn't have to be a "for profit". Many community-type associations (charities, accommodation managers, clubs) are setup as Companies or Registered Businesses or Friendly Societies. If you owned a Yacht club or rescue group - that is sale-able as an asset from one owner to a new owner. As with most business sales, any assets/leases/licences associated with that must be transferred with it.

Accountants sometimes refer to the sticky situation created when a business rents a room out of someone's home. Technically, if sold as a whole concern, the rent of the room transfers with that business. Its very odd and rare but just pointing it out.

I'd really go with BK on this :)

Advertisement