Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prisma Teknik boxes at traffic lights.

• 31-12-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

From my personal experience of walking round town, it seems to me that quite a few of the Prisma Teknik boxes at traffic lights are broken and don't do their job of triggering a green pedestrian light.

This basically means that you're forced to get across the road in the face of traffic. Now, this isn't an issue for many people who would just jaywalk anyway, but as today (like often in the past) I was with my daughter who's nearly 4, I'm trying to explain the whole system to her, as well as teach her to behave safely at crossings.

I'm going to send a letter/email to Limerick city council unless somebody has a better idea, and I'm wondering if others have noticed the same problem and can give the locations of other broken prisma boxes.

Today's one was at the junction of Rutland Street and Bank Place, and there's also one where Broad street meets Charlotte Quay. There's another on william Street that doesn't even light up when pressed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Are these the blue ones with the yellow light? the ones at Ballinacurra /Childers road always reset themselves when you press the button . you have to press it again and again and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Are these the blue ones with the yellow light? the ones at Ballinacurra /Childers road always reset themselves when you press the button . you have to press it again and again and again.
    Yeah, that's them. This is exactly the kind of detail I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

You should contact Limerick City Council - but be warned they may have to attend to these missing Railings on Catherine Place first which I reported to them well over 3 years ago.

I honestly believe it will take a wholly unnecessary horrible accident and the maiming/paralysis/death of some poor Child to get that one sorted.

- These People do not deserve respect from any quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

The junctions at Mallow street and O'Connell st and Roches street and O'Connell st give priority to traffic over pedestrians for ages. This has been a problem for years.
    I always hoped that if/when the pedestrianisation of O'Connell st. is complete then the priority would be for pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The junctions at Mallow street and O'Connell st and Roches street and O'Connell st give priority to traffic over pedestrians for ages. This has been a problem for years.
    I always hoped that if/when the pedestrianisation of O'Connell st. is complete then the priority would be for pedestrians.

When O'Connell street gets pedestrianised, you won't have to worry about traffic anymore because the City will be a ghost town full of abandoned shops and business premises. Anyone with a bit of sense will just go to the Crescent for shopping, the City doesn't have anything in it that can't be got out there. Also why would you bother trying to drive around a convoluted road system and have absolutely nowhere to park, when you can park for free in one of the shopping centres?

Limerick City is in a bad state as regards its main shopping areas already. Whoever thought of making the main road through it a ****ing walking path must really want to just put the final nail in its coffin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

interestingly cities in Australia are thinking of taking out some pedestrian areas in city centre as the feeling is that the less traffic is accounting for less pedestrian traffic too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Yes planners seem to forget, that the pedestrian traffic you see walking the streets of limerick, 90% of them DROVE into the city, parked and got out.
    We do not walk from the surrounding areas, we drive.
    Ah well, we shall see eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

interestingly cities in Australia are thinking of taking out some pedestrian areas in city centre as the feeling is that the less traffic is accounting for less pedestrian traffic too.
    Have you got a link for that study or report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

phill106 wrote: »
    Yes planners seem to forget, that the pedestrian traffic you see walking the streets of limerick, 90% of them DROVE into the city, parked and got out.
    We do not walk from the surrounding areas, we drive.
    Ah well, we shall see eh...
    I am under the impression that they think we all use public transport where there is no park and ride, no on time busses, especially in the evening.

Not only do most people who shop into the city centre drive they have to contend with extra traffic problems in recent years due to poor traffic chaos and extra city traffic lights they installed and the slowing down of a major routes in and out of the city (Dock road [Extra Traffic Lights] and Condell road [reduce speed limits in a non built up area]). The Pre Tunnel Days during the boom was far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Like many others, The new idea of wider footpaths and narrower streets has
    finally encouraged me to avoid driving into the city to do any significant shopping.
    I either walk to town if I want to browse or whatever (from Caherdavin) or get the bus, and if I have to do any major shopping, it's the Cresent or the Parkway or East Limerick Business Park.

Apart from the recession,the extra wave of traffic lights and narrower streets seems to have caused a reduction of traffic into and out of the city centre so it's hard to see where the 'planners' are coming from.

Maybe the 'make them use the Tunnel' conspiracy has a grain of truth - I don't know. What I can see, though, is an eerily quiet O'Connell St. and William St. in the near future as more motorists and shoppers are frustrated into deserting the city centre. Then - in about three years from now, when the penny drops - we'll have a concerted campaign by the powers-that-be, to re-invent the city, with all sorts of incentives and schemes to encourage vendors and shoppers alike back - but the horse will have well and truly bolted by then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement