Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rifle advice

Options
  • 31-12-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi
    I am thinking of going buying a riffle and dont know a whole lot about the makes and models have settled on a .223 but which is the best gun, am looking at a remington 700 varment, do mauser still make .223?? i know there was a mauser .22 at home years ago..
    any advice greatly appreciated
    pio

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

pioboyle wrote: »
    Hi
    I am thinking of going buying a riffle and dont know a whole lot about the makes and models have settled on a .223 but which is the best gun, am looking at a remington 700 varment, do mauser still make .223?? i know there was a mauser .22 at home years ago..
    any advice greatly appreciated
    pio

What do you want it for? (rabbits @ long range,Foxes etc)
    What is your budget? (new Remington 700 SPS ~€750)

Do you want a Traditional Timber and Blued steel Rifle, or a synthetic one?
    (Although I love Timber Rifles, in the field they get damaged easier than Synthetic)

** Remember that you would want to spend at least 1/2 what you spent on Rifle on a scope.
    In fact all my scopes cost more than my Rifle was to buy:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

I know everyone says buy a good scope, but a good scope is no good without a rifle under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pioboyle

well i have no preference for timber on plastic... so am easy eiter way
    budget i am havent got 1 really and it would be for foxes really, and yea rabbits to at long range...
    is there a problems with the remingtons and floating barrels??

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Same with everything the cost usually goes with how good a product is...usually.

3 main types that people go for are Tikka, CZ, and Remington.

A more expensive one is on special offer at www.islandsports.ie/rifles.html Tikka T3 Lite at 750.00 euro and that is apparently a very very good price for a great rifle by all accounts.

• Advertisement

have to admit the remington is callin out to me...
    varmint what is that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Alot of people, myself included would say that a centrefire rifle as your first rifle is madness and that you should start with a .22, put plenty of rounds through it, learn about bullet drop, wind drift etc etc etc, you will never get cheaper shooting.
    That being said, if you have a problem with foxs a .22 is not ideal and yes a .223 is far more suitable allright, perhaps a .17 may be a comprimise ?

In sort, if you simply want to get into shooting, get a .22
    If you want a rifle to deal with Problem foxs, get an experienced local to deal with them whilst showing you the ropes and take it from here.

pioboyle wrote: »
    have to admit the remington is callin out to me...
    varmint what is that??

Varmint Rifles are usually small rounds that travel very fast and relatively flat trajectory.

Used on Bunnies and foxes here, gophers in states etc

Some Remingtons are free floating, others are bedded.

However even the cheapest Remington can be floated for ~€10

I did it recently for the craic myself with some putty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Simo Hayha

Varmint Rifles are usually small rounds that travel very fast and .....y.
    What kind of gobeldygook is that exactly?:rolleyes:
    A rifle that is a small fast round hahaha ...... Good god man lay off the drink!

Simo Hayha wrote: »
    What kind of gobeldygook is that exactly?:rolleyes:
    A rifle that is a small fast round hahaha ...... Good god man lay off the drink!

Mon brave homme, vert n'est pas votre couleur
    .17 variants, .22 variants .220 swift,.204 .223 etc

up to an including .243 and .25-06 are considered a varmint round

Bonne année, la boisson est à vous Simo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

varminting is long range shooting of vermin and varmint rifles are designed for that purpose, so are basically half way between a hunting rifle and a target rifle, usually weigh over 8lbs and upwards, this is due to a longer thicker barrel designed for greater accuracy than the lighter thinner barrels on hunting rifles

tks a mill think i got it now... not to find a good cheap gun shop??

ormondprop wrote: »
    varminting is long range shooting of vermin and varmint rifles are designed for that purpose, so are basically half way between a hunting rifle and a target rifle, usually weigh over 8lbs and upwards, this is due to a longer thicker barrel designed for greater accuracy than the lighter thinner barrels on hunting rifles

+

Varminting is the must enjoyable fun :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=141493&d=1293841562

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Still say you should go for the .22 to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Still say you should go for the .22 to begin with.
    100% agree

Advertisement