Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you pay for agility classes?

• 31-12-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

I'm taking my dog to a weekly class starting mid-January, it's 2 hours and includes a light lunch (sandwiches etc). You also get full use of the equipment any time you wish outside of the class. Just wondering how much every one pays for these classes and how it compares ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm taking my dog to a weekly class starting mid-January, it's 2 hours and includes a light lunch (sandwiches etc). You also get full use of the equipment any time you wish outside of the class. Just wondering how much every one pays for these classes and how it compares ;)

Foundation Agility was €120 for a 6 week course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

lrushe wrote: »
    Foundation Agility was €120 for a 6 week course.

It's a lot more than that and the fee is per class, hmm . . . I'm very limited in whats available where I am though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I pay €20 for a 2 hour class, but it normally goes on longer than 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

It depends on who you go to. Where abouts are you and maybe I could give you some names to call. Some instructors even do a one on one for 20 euro.

It depends on who you go to. Where abouts are you and maybe I could give you some names to call. Some instructors even do a one on one for 20 euro.

I'm in Donegal :p It's the only one I have found in the county, the next closest is in Coleraine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Whereabouts in Donegal adrenalinjunkie?

sligopark wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Donegal adrenalinjunkie?

10 minutes from Derry City, and yes completely unbelievable that I can't find a single agility class in Derry city :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

60 or 80 euro (I'm not sure:-)) per 8 weeks course. Galway:-)

Well the cost of this class is €35 per class :eek:. If your are not attending classes its €10 for a years membership to agility club at the same place. I'm unsure what this includes though. If she is just going to run around messing about, which happens when other dogs are in the picture it's not a very effective use of my €35 :rolleyes: There is a dog creche opening shortly so I'm wondering if it might be a better option putting her in there 1 or 2 days a week until shes a bit older and wiser and doesn't automatically see another dog = playtime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It could be good for her obedience. I was thinking the same for my boy. I assume that agility training includes basic obedience needed to do it? (could be wrong, can an agility go-er clarify please :))

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    It could be good for her obedience. I was thinking the same for my boy. I assume that agility training includes basic obedience needed to do it? (could be wrong, can an agility go-er clarify please :))

The lady says better obedience will come naturally as part of it (her stay and recall are the worst aspects) so I think it should certainly help with these two things. And as it's incorporated in a fun activity she should be more open to wanting to do it which will go some way to combating the Westie stubborn-ness. Don't know what to do though. She'll be on a long lead for the first 2 or 3 classes at least so it might be worth trying it out a few times and see how it goes/if its of enough benefit to justify the cost of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

OP does the agility class include some basic training as well? It doesn't sound too bad and it's only for a while and well worth it since it will set your dog up for life and what you learn you can continue on yourself esp. with agility.
    You can buy agility equipment even if your garden isn't very big but good idea to do classes first to get extra tips.
    zooplus.co.uk do agility equipment costs a bit though but if you really get into it it's worth investing in.
    See how you go with the classes first.

If the trainer is good and uses only humane methods of training and you put the time in as well it will be worth every penny.

OP does the agility class include some basic training as well? It doesn't sound too bad and it's only for a while and well worth it since it will set your dog up for life and what you learn you can continue on yourself esp. with agility.
    You can buy agility equipment even if your garden isn't very big but good idea to do classes first to get extra tips.
    zooplus.co.uk do agility equipment costs a bit though but if you really get into it it's worth investing in.
    See how you go with the classes first.

If the trainer is good and uses only humane methods of training and you put the time in as well it will be worth every penny.

Oh, I definately get a very good vibe from her and they run basic obedience courses as well at a more reasonable price so if it turns out not to be working as well as I hoped I could always turn it around and do the obedience first and go back to the agility later especially as the agility is pay as you go basis. They are very new also and I do appreciate that they have the initial outlay costs on the equipment to get back.

Advertisement