Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

left job , no holiday pay

Options
  • 31-12-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there,

After trying to quit my job a week before I left (manager wouldn't accept my resignation: so exactly one week later I did not go in for my shift and did not hear from the company again).

From the first day it was not going to work out as the supervisor there seemed to have a constant problem with me but the manager was thrilled with the work I was doing and told me to ignore the supervisor (alarm bells already).

There was plenty of staff (too much staff but none knew what they were doing and the supervisor did not pay any attention to this), I was being shouted at for things the supervisor should have been given out to for: the staff not doing their jobs, but because I was the experienced one I was given out to (I was paid the same as the other staff).

3 weeks before Christmas I tried to quit, handed him the letter and told him I wasn't coming back after that week and he said refused to accept but I said I wasn't staying. The following week I didn't go back.

Am I entitled to holiday pay for the 6 weeks I worked there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

InTouch wrote: »
    Hi there,

After trying to quit my job a week before I left (manager wouldn't accept my resignation: so exactly one week later I did not go in for my shift and did not hear from the company again).

From the first day it was not going to work out as the supervisor there seemed to have a constant problem with me but the manager was thrilled with the work I was doing and told me to ignore the supervisor (alarm bells already).

There was plenty of staff (too much staff but none knew what they were doing and the supervisor did not pay any attention to this), I was being shouted at for things the supervisor should have been given out to for: the staff not doing their jobs, but because I was the experienced one I was given out to (I was paid the same as the other staff).

3 weeks before Christmas I tried to quit, handed him the letter and told him I wasn't coming back after that week and he said refused to accept but I said I wasn't staying. The following week I didn't go back.

Am I entitled to holiday pay for the 6 weeks I worked there?

About 1.5 days due to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Doom wrote: »
    About 1.5 days due to ya

Good luck trying to get it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InTouch

If I were to get in touch with the tax office about it , would they be of any assistance do you think?

Thanks for the replies also.

I doubt the tax office would be able to help in anyway.

I wouldn't bank on getting any holiday pay out of them.

Were you full time?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InTouch

Hi, no I was part time so was in 2-3 days per week, was asked to go fulltime but I am in college too so that wouldn't have been feasible.

I just wanted to tie everything up with the place, and get a p45 and be able to go.

If holiday pay is at the company's discretion then I suppose I should say goodbye to that possibility!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

you are entitled to 8% of your basic pay excluding overtime as holiday pay.

So if you worked for 6 weeks, on average 2.5 days per week, you should expect approx 1.15 days pay. Or around €70 I guess at minimum wage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

You can complain to the Rights Commissioner under the Payment of Wages Act. If you did not get a written statement of Terms of Employment, complain about that as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

InTouch wrote: »
    Hi, no I was part time so was in 2-3 days per week, was asked to go fulltime but I am in college too so that wouldn't have been feasible.

I just wanted to tie everything up with the place, and get a p45 and be able to go.

If holiday pay is at the company's discretion then I suppose I should say goodbye to that possibility!

Consider whether you feel €70 is worth the time, aggro, phone calls, probably unpleasant communications with the company etc. etc. that you are going to have to do to get it.

If you think it is, go for it, I'd be inclined to let it go as the company sounds odd, to say the least, and you'll probably have enough work on getting a P45 out of them.

Advertisement