Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom built PC refusing to power

Options
  • 31-12-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I have a PC that I custom built in 2006. I did loads of research and knew all the things I needed to know about building PCs back then, but a lot of time has passed, and now I have no idea what I'm doing anymore, so I'm a little stumped on this one :)

I was using my PC a couple of weeks ago, left the room for a couple of minutes, came back and it was powered off. It wouldn't power on at all anymore, so I assumed the PSU had packed it in (Tagan Easycon 580w). I managed to borrow a PSU off a friend yesterday, replaced the old one, but the PC still doesn't power on at all.

I'm assuming there are two other reasons the PC would fail to power on. Either the case has suffered some kind of problem, or the motherboard is fried. Would that be a fair assessment? I'm leaning towards the case as there seems to be a slightly loose pin in the power connector for the case wiring (it's also wishful thinking as replacing the motherboard seems like a much bigger pain in the ass).

I have another question, based on the assumption that the case is borked. My motherboard is an Asus A8N-E, Socket-939. Will this motherboard still fit in modern cases? If so, any recommendations on decent cases?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Serbian wrote: »

I have another question, based on the assumption that the case is borked. My motherboard is an Asus A8N-E, Socket-939. Will this motherboard still fit in modern cases? If so, any recommendations on decent cases?

It's an ATX case, so it'll still fit the vast majority of cases fine.

You can test the wiring of the power button to the motherboard by using a screwdriver to briefly to briefly connect the two pins that that the power button would otherwise connect to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Would agree with spear on using something to short the motherboard power pins.

Another option if the case has a reset or other switch is to connect that to the motherboard and see if its your power button itself.

Could also be a dead or loose component. Try removing CPU and RAM and power on without them in it. To see if the psu fans spin up. If they do, put the bits back in and test again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I know how it feels to be out of the loop. First thing I'd do would be take everything out of the mobo except the processor and main plug and see it if powers on. If not, reset the board with the jumper or remove the CMOS battery, power on, power off, put the battery back and power on again. If that doesn't work it's probably fecked.

Advertisement