Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Festival

Options
  • 31-12-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

So I was watching this Oz and Hugh show on BBC2.

They were at this massive beer festival/exhibition with over 300 kegs of different beers in Manchester.

Do we have anything like this here in Ireland coming up?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not really on that scale, but we have a busy festival calendar. Franciscan Well have a winter and cask ale festival in February, and a general Irish beer one on Easter Saturday and Sunday. Oslo in Galway will likely be doing Brewers on the Bay again in May; Hilden have their annual festival in late August. Last year the independent breweries ran one in the Curragh in September and then there's CAMRA NI's Belfast festival in November. Deveney's Dundrum also ran two bottled beer festivals in Dublin, in February and August.

Watch this board and the events calendar on Beoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not really on that scale, but we have a busy festival calendar. Franciscan Well have a winter and cask ale festival in February, and a general Irish beer one on Easter Saturday and Sunday. Oslo in Galway will likely be doing Brewers on the Bay again in May; Hilden have their annual festival in late August. Last year the independent breweries ran one in the Curragh in September and then there's CAMRA NI's Belfast festival in November. Deveney's Dundrum also ran two bottled beer festivals in Dublin, in February and August.

Watch this board and the events calendar on Beoir.

Brilliant, thanks beernut! a really good website

If there was a festival in UK you could suggest coming up in the near future? Thinking maybe a little trip over there might be in order!!

Franciscan Well have a winter and cask ale festival in February,

Could you give us a little more info on this please Beernut.

I think I might go down to Cork that weekend have have a look if you suggest its a good event.

It's the first time they've done this, but the 'Well generally put on a good show.

Here's the poster:
    fwcaskfest.jpg

I'm told that all the Irish micros have been invited to send casks down though I don't know exactly what there'll be or how they'll work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'm told that all the Irish micros have been invited to send casks down though I don't know exactly what there'll be or how they'll work it.

It'll differ from the Easterfest in so far as there won' be individual brewery bars - the Well will run the whole lot. AFAIK there will be a full cask bar out in the beer garden.

• Advertisement

And are you sending beer?

Given the format, I guess there'll be a fair bit of rotation: not all the beers will be on all three days.

And are you sending beer?

Yep. Hoping to get there myself too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Pretty impressive that there are enough Irish Micros these days to sustain a cask ale festival.

They all make cask, and love making cask (it's easy!). What's really great is that there are enough Irish drinkers to drain them :)

Well I've booked the Friday off work and booked a hotel for the weekend so I will check this out..

Anything I should look out for. Rumour has it there is a new beer from Tipp coming soon? Any word on this?

• Advertisement

MANUTD99 wrote: »

Anything I should look out for. Rumour has it there is a new beer from Tipp coming soon? Any word on this?

The way this was pitched to the breweries, they were actively encouraged to bring seasonal/winter beers, or new/one-off beers, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of new beers there.

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something new and interesting from White Gypsy. A new blend of the barrel-aged imperial stout would go well.

I hope to make it along on the Saturday.

Just got the preliminary beer list from Franciscan Well. The White Gypsy Imperial Stout will indeed feature. New beers from Dungarvan and Beoir Chorca Duibhne too, by the looks of things:

WHITE GYPSY: EMERALD PALE ALE ( CASK )
    WHITE GYPSY: JUL ÓL ( KEG )
    WHITE GYPSY: WINTER WARMER ( CASK )
    WHITE GYPSY: RAVEN VINTAGE STOUT ( CASK )

PORTERHOUSE: TSB ( CASK )

CARLOW BREWING CO.: IPA ( KEG )
    CARLOW BREWING CO.: STOUT ( CASK )

BEOIR CHORCA DUIBHNE: CARRIG DUBH ( CASK )

DUNGARVAN: COFFEE & OATMEAL STOUT ( CASK )
    DUNGARVAN: COPPER COAST ( CASK )

MESSRS. MAGUIRE: NUT BROWN ALE ( CASK )
    MESSRS. MAGUIRE: AMERICAN PALE ALE ( CASK )

BARRELHEAD: PALE ALE ( CASK )

FRANCISCAN WELL: PHÚCA SPICED ALE ( KEG )
    FRANCISCAN WELL: 3 KINGS SMOKED ALE ( KEG )
    FRANCISCAN WELL: PURGATORY PALE ALE ( CASK )
    FRANCISCAN WELL: REBEL RED ( CASK )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't something new and interesting from White Gypsy

If it's what i've tried it should be called Black Out, you need to take it easy with new Gypsy as i've learned.

Whats your recommendations from your list beernut?

Raven is spectacular. Purgatory is usually very good on cask, likewise the Barrelhead Pale Ale.

Raven is spectacular. Purgatory is usually very good on cask, likewise the Barrelhead Pale Ale.

Noted!!!

I have to say I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Damn, looking at my diary, I'm away all that weekend.
    Pesky work!!!:mad::mad:

Just heard that Hilden's Cathedral Quarter will also be there on cask. Which is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I'm probably heading down to this with some friends but I've never been to the Franciscan Well before.

I'm not usually a fan of tv's in pubs but it's 6 nations time. Is there any tv there or is there a close enough bar I could run off to, to watch the games?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

I've been planning a trip to Cork soon, so that's sealed the deal. :D

Looking forward to trying Carraig Dubh again. From what I remember it was quite an interesting ale.

I think it's new. Cúl Dorcha was the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭AkiThePirate

It may be quite new, but I did have some over Christmas while I was playing a gig at Tigh Bhric. I remember it being quite good, but I'd had my share of Bushmills 10YO and Duvel before it, so I'd like to make sure it's as good as I remember. ;)

Do you think it will be possible to buy some special beers for take away.

I'd like to bring some back up to Dublin when I'm going home

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Do you think it will be possible to buy some special beers for take away.
    It's all draught, so bring a flask ;)

There's a very good bottle selection in the Bierhaus and Abbot's, though nothing that isn't readily available in Dublin.

The White Gypsy Stout and Pale Ale were the highlights for me. Really enjoyable beers.

Did anybody else manage to get a few pints in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yup

oh and the highlight of my first trip The Well was a Cork skanger asking the barman which craft beer was the closest to Bud!!! classic!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Classic :D

My wife's cousin was kicked out of the Toronado bar in San Francisco after he asked (for the laugh while drunk) for a Rolling Rock :D

Technically he was barred but they let him back in.

Advertisement