Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judo for Rugby

• 31-12-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hey guys hope everyone had a great christmas!

Bit of a strange one here.A good mate of mine has started into playing rugby.He's a big chap so he's fairly good at it.He mentioned to me that he's thinking of starting some judo to help with his balance and to help take down lads quicker.

Do you guys reckon theres much merit to that?I'd say it doesnt matter if he does or not because he already is pretty good at the game but its a pretty interesting concept.

For you guys that do judo or know much about it do you think principles of it transfer much your into daily life?

I dont know much about the sport other than watching a few youtube clips but it does like it would develop some good core balance other stuff along that line.

Forgive me for the kinda long winded post I was kinda thinking out loud ha.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

For rugby he'd want to look at freestyle wrestling, judo would not transfer great into rugby in my opinion, maybe people with better judo knowledge will disagree and have good reason behind it

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

i do alot of Judo and have to say that cowzerp is right Judo would not go well with Rugby. i play Rugby my self and if it was for other Reason i would say Judo all the way but if hes looking to take people down with judo i think he would be send off.. would be a first someone getting hip throwing on a field

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

I did a fair bit of judo in my youth and i've been playing the bit of rugby about 6 years and i think my judo training has possibly helped me as much as my rugby training.
    In contact, it's just gold really. When people are grabbing and trying to take you down, that knowledge of hip riding and breaking grips to break tackles and make space is invaluable.
    Making tackles, the ability to distribute weight is fairly handy. I've also made tackles that would strongly resemble judo throws. And i've often just flung people over sidelines and things.
    Not such a help with the new rules but i used to have a big advantage making tackles and gettin back on my feet to rob the ball.
    In summary, many people who have played against me have been hip-tossed and generally thrown around.

I played rugby for years before moving into judo and then bjj. It helped in terms physicality and aggressiveness, but technique wise there isn't that much crossover between the sports. Any crossover that there is would be for forwards in rucks and mauls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Why doesn't he just concentrate on his take downs within his Rugby training? Iirc you can only take a rugby player down from the waste down and you can't put any hip into it so he might be wasting his time, unless he just wants to take up Judo because he likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I've heard of big rugby teams having judo guys help coach tackling, but I've never looked into it to see if it's true. I just took a quick look on the net and found a few posts about it, and a video of some Rugby League guys doing judo, so it is something that happens.

That said, I'm a big believer that if you want to get good at something, you should practice that thing specifically. If he wants to do judo, he may get some crossover benefit, but if he just wants to get better at tackling, it probably isn't the best use of his time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

i think Andy Ryan and john Kavangh did a bit of training with leinster. I know Zhfco did some freestyle wrestling with them too.

Balance is one of the most important attributes you can have in both rugby and judo. Judo training will improve this but again like the lads are saying, not sure if it's the most time effective way of improving your rugby.

judo is great fun though, way more fun than rugby :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Thanks for the replies lads I may point him towards this thread there is some good points being made here!

yomchi wrote: »
    Why doesn't he just concentrate on his take downs within his Rugby training? Iirc you can only take a rugby player down from the waste down and you can't put any hip into it so he might be wasting his time, unless he just wants to take up Judo because he likes it.

That would be my take on it aswell.I'd say he is gonna take it up regardless whther it helps his rugby or not.It looks like good craic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

its great for rugby
    me and jk did a bit with the leinster rugby team a few years back
    alot of the australian guys and guys from that part of the world had done judo as part of there rugby training when at home
    cheers

• Advertisement

Any freestyle wrestling clubs in Dublin? Or Ireland even? Never even heard a mention of the sport here until MMA got big.

Any freestyle wrestling clubs in Dublin? Or Ireland even? Never even heard a mention of the sport here until MMA got big.

Thats a good question.Hercs weightlifting and powerlifting club in Dublin do wrestling but Im not sure if its freestyle or greco roman..I'll have a look see online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It's freestyle.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 wrestlingdad

judo is great training for rugby - i do some drills with a schools team - mainly greco pummeling , maintaining stance and position , clinch work, head positioning - for props . etc.
    it is especially good for forwards - the leicester tigers have an english international doing training with them, wayne larkin - the super 14 french teams also include it in pre season training - great clip on youtube of andrew sheridan and seb chabal doing pummeling and takedown matches

cowzerp wrote: »
    It's freestyle.

Anyone have experience with the place? Is it any good?
    Sorry for the barrage of questions :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Every wrestler i've spoken to says Hercules is the place to train in dublin. i've never actually gone though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Anyone have experience with the place? Is it any good?
    Sorry for the barrage of questions :p

it looks good ive seen classes going on, fairly cheap also you just have to join the gym and you'll have access to the whole gym plus the wrestling, i think they traing tues and thurs at 7ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

I have heard Chelsea Football Club hired a judoka to teach the players how to fall (dive) without injuring themselves. I know thats football and not rugby but im sure learning to breakfall/roll out of tackles would be beneficial.

I have heard Chelsea Football Club hired a judoka to teach the players how to fall (dive) without injuring themselves. I know thats football and not rugby but im sure learning to breakfall/roll out of tackles would be beneficial.

Ha thats a good one.Those guys get value for money with those lessons!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 adelarge1

:Dimagine seeing drogba or terry in a gi!

• Advertisement

adelarge1 wrote: »
    :Dimagine seeing drogba or terry in a gi!

gi-bag maybe..

Advertisement