Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I read the OG from Hydrometer?

• 31-12-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭

I'm just a little bit unsure, after just doing my first brew, on how to read the OG.
    I took a photo, and was wondering do I read from the top or from the bottom? The fermenter temp gauge said it was 20/22 Celsius when i poured from the tap into the hydrometer tube. Also, the instructions say I should be getting a reading nowhere near what I'm getting here!

Should I take it as 1.115? Or 1.100?
    See attached pic:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

what is that thing? like no hydrometer I've ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'm just a little bit unsure, after just doing my first brew, on how to read the OG.
    I took a photo, and was wondering do I read from the top or from the bottom? The fermenter temp gauge said it was 20/22 Celsius when i poured from the tap into the hydrometer tube. Also, the instructions say I should be getting a reading nowhere near what I'm getting here!

Should I take it as 1.115? Or 1.100?
    See attached pic:

That's a Cooper's Microbrew set isn't it? You read from the scale on the top of the hydrometer. That piece of paper that comes with it is just a reference that shows the relationship between gravity, sugar content and alcohol potential.

There is a good video here that explains how to read it and a bit of the theory behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Cool. I've watched a few of his other videos now.

Actually, I have another question.
    Does leaving the fermenter non-sealed make a difference?

I was wondering why I wasnt getting any bubbles and I just realised I hadnt fully twisted the lid as tight as possible. I'm hoping it didnt get infected. I've been away for 2 days and theres a manky smell in me room which is either the beer, or the stink from my two day hangover from New Years!! :p

Although, the hyfrometer reading is now 1020, from the 1040 OG on new years eve.

Advertisement