Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass problems after the snow

Options
  • 31-12-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

After the recent snow the grass in my front garden is a bit of a mess. There are a number of patches with no grass and some of the grass looks like it is dying. The soil we have isn't brilliant as we often have patches after the winter but never this early on.

At this time of year is there anything I can do to improve the grass or should I just wait until April before planting new grass seed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

wait until april, cut at high and fertalise with good fertaliser it will look great in may, we are all seeing this, dont worry, worse could happen, pipes bursting in attic comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pdelahunty

Thanks! Will do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be worth addressing the soil issues too; why do you get bare patches? are they under tree canopy, or does the soil get waterlogged?
    if it's low fertility, a option might be to sow clover seed into the lawn; it will boost fertility, but comes with two caveats - some people don't like the look of clover (personally, i like it), and it's not quite as hard wearing, so if you have kids who play on the lawn, may not be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I recommend you pick this up online...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawn-Expert-Dr-D-Hessayon/dp/0903505487/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294005019&sr=8-1

excellent reference book. It can be picked up second hand for about 3 or 4 euros including the postage or in any bookshop for about 10-12.

Won't go into details but since I started concentrating on having a nice lawn the most important thing I discovered is to do a couple of days good maintainence work in September/October. With a winter feed it will make it through the winter in good shape. Spring maintainance is then just a cut, feed and weed. After that is gets easier and easier to keep nice.

Mine looks better than it ever has right now and it is down to what I learned in that book. And it wasn't hard or expensive to get it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Thequite an

Of all that grows grass will take whatever abuse that come's way and as soon as the spring comes round it will flourish without the help of all but sunshine and water just you wait and see

• Advertisement
Advertisement