Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REVCOUNTER ON 03 GOLF 1.4 PETROL

• 31-12-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

HI! has anyone come across this or any ideas how to fix.my son has bought 03 golf and ive just noticed when engine is off the rev needle is pointing straight down like at 6 oclock when its idleing its below the 0 on rev counter any ideas what could be causeing this?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'd just say its faulty clocks. Replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Does the airbag light come on when you switch on ignition?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭vinny63

no warning lights coming on could it possably be a sensor somewhere?

Your airbag light should illuminate for a few secs when you turn on the ignition
    It would be unusual for the tacho needle to loosen from the spindle
    which makes me think someone has been playing about in there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

crosshair1 wrote: »
    Your airbag light should illuminate for a few secs when you turn on the ignition
    It would be unusual for the tacho needle to loosen from the spindle
    which makes me think someone has been playing about in there??

Look at you Sherlock Holmes :pac:

• Advertisement

You wouldn't believe the amount of these and boras with sticking or misaligned needles on the dash as a result of a fix for abs airbag and emls.

how can it be fixed its due nct would it fail because of this

Can you confirm that your airbag light comes on when you first turn on the ignition and then after a few seconds goes out.

The tacho itself is not part of the NCT test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Andrew Campbell

Try these guys always sorted these things out for me
    http://www.logicautomotive.ie/

no air bag light doesnt come on when i turn on ignition makes me think you were right with your dignosis.Any idea how i can remove clocks to re align rev counter needle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

I think you have to remove the lower cowl from the steering wheel column which will then allow you to pull the top cowl out. You then have access to the necessary screws to remove the cluster. This isn't recommended though unless you have access to VCDS (formerly VagCom) to clean up any errors it will throw.

I'd suggest you get it scanned anyway as you might have an issue with your airbags.

Best of luck!

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    I think you have to remove the lower cowl from the steering wheel column which will then allow you to pull the top cowl out. You then have access to the necessary screws to remove the cluster. This isn't recommended though unless you have access to VCDS (formerly VagCom) to clean up any errors it will throw.

I'd suggest you get it scanned anyway as you might have an issue with your airbags.

Best of luck!

where or how do i get it scanned

vinny63 wrote: »
    where or how do i get it scanned
    garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

most garages would have the diagnostics. Many enthusiasts have the equipment and are willing to help. Vagdrivers.net is full of them.

Where are you located?

Bing_IRL wrote: »
    most garages would have the diagnostics. Many enthusiasts have the equipment and are willing to help. Vagdrivers.net is full of them.

Where are you located?

waterford

vinny63 wrote: »
    waterford
    Drive up to fas and get the young lads to have a look. throw them a few quid and you'll be sorted!

Plug wrote: »
    Drive up to fas and get the young lads to have a look. throw them a few quid and you'll be sorted!

went up to fas spoke to machanics instructor he thinks it could be a problem with circuit board and a diagnostics scan wont show anything he said its a job for main dealer.

Just bring it into your local garage and explain to them what you've said here so far,
    You most likely have faults in the airbag ecu and that is why the dash is the way it is.
    You will probably have 2 repairs required, one for the airbag and one for the dash.
    You wont know until you get it scanned!!!

Advertisement