Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Laptop to TV

Options
  • 31-12-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this has been asked already.

I am looking to connect my Toshiba laptop to my flatscreen TV. The TV has HDMI, S-Video, USB, scart outputs etc, while the laptop only has the VGA connector.

Someone in Curry's said I need a KVM switch, whatever that is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I always thought VGA did not support TV out function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Crasp wrote: »
    I always thought VGA did not support TV out function.

I am an absolute novice on this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What model laptop is it? A lot of laptops and some graphics cards that lack an S-Video connector have internal S-Video circuitry in the VGA port to allow you to connect a passive VGA > S-Video adaptor dongle to the VGA port.

Solitaire wrote: »
    What model laptop is it? A lot of laptops and some graphics cards that lack an S-Video connector have internal S-Video circuitry in the VGA port to allow you to connect a passive VGA > S-Video adaptor dongle to the VGA port.

Toshiba S500-11C Notebook Core i3-330M (2.13 GHz)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I think you're stuck needing an active Mini DisplayPort > HDMI adaptor, which can cost big bucks :(

DismayPort (as we tend to call it) has really ruined connectivity, as it has none :mad: Every TV and the vast majority of PC monitors out there need it converted to DVI or HDMI and as the signals aren't compatible you end up having to get a €50-100 active adaptor to use the port! :mad::(

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    I think you're stuck needing an active Mini DisplayPort > HDMI adaptor, which can cost big bucks :(

DismayPort (as we tend to call it) has really ruined connectivity, as it has none :mad: Every TV and the vast majority of PC monitors out there need it converted to DVI or HDMI and as the signals aren't compatible you end up having to get a €50-100 active adaptor to use the port! :mad::(

Maybe another stupid question:

If my next laptop has HDMI can I connect directly to the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Maybe another stupid question:

If my next laptop has HDMI can I connect directly to the TV?

Depends if it's an input or an output but as it's most likely an output I will say

yes.

Advertisement