Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should New Years be Celebrated on the Winter Solstice?

• 31-12-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Personally I think it makes no sense at all for the year to end on the 31st December. It makes far more sense for it to be on the shortest day of the year, the 21st/ 22nd December. For thousands of years, other civilisations have marked the Winter Solstice to be end of the yearly cycle because it makes astronomical sense but 31st December doesn't really make any astronomical sense at all really - it was just conjured up in people's heads. To be more accurate, the Gregorian calender in general makes no astronomical sense.

Should New Years be Celebrated on the Winter Solstice? 26 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    61% 16 votes
    I really don't care
    38% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I agree in principle to moving the date, but I'd argue for the 24th, or 25th is it, when the sun rises again.

Do away with Christmas altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

AntiMatter wrote: »

no presents for you next year then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Its all just a scam to sell calanders at christmas time. Did you know there are actual calander shops out there? Shops make money by selling calanders and nothing else. This boggles my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Personally I think it makes no sense at all for the year to end on the 31st December. It makes far more sense for it to be on the shortest day of the year, the 21st/ 22nd December. For thousands of years, other civilisations have marked the Winter Solstice to be end of the yearly cycle because it makes astronomical sense but 31st December doesn't really make any astronomical sense at all really - it was just conjured up in people's heads. To be more accurate, the Gregorian calender in general makes no astronomical sense.

Yes it's more significant than the change of digits

MGMTea wrote: »
    no presents for you next year then

We can invent a fresh, imaginary bestower of gifts to go with our new New Year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No b-coz I gets more days off a work this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

No!
    As stated in the other thread, I celebrate the new year at 8:15pm on the 13th of November.

You are all figments of my imagination, so the new year begins just after my date and time of birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Terry wrote: »
    No!
    As stated in the other thread, I celebrate the new year at 8:15pm on the 13th of November.

You are all figments of my imagination, so the new year begins just after my date and time of birth.

So if we are all figments of your imagination does that mean everyone, included your mother and the doctors and the midwives? Who told you that you were born at 8:15pm on the 13th of November? Are they also figments of your imagination which means that you also are a figment of your own imagination which makes sense and is a contradiction in logic therefore your argument is false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

So if we are all figments of your imagination does that mean everyone, included your mother and the doctors and the midwives? Who told you that you were born at 8:15pm on the 13th of November? Are they also figments of your imagination which means that you also are a figment of your own imagination which makes sense and is a contradiction in logic therefore your argument is false.
    Not at all.
    You see, I'm actually God. Of a sort anyway.
    I created this entire universe with my imagination. The details grew with time.

That I am able to counter your argument is a testament to the fact that I imagined you making the point above.

For your Christmas bonus (****, I had fun creating that whole Jesus mess), I've given you the discovery of the Denisovans.
    Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Not at all.
    You see, I'm actually God. Of a sort anyway.
    I created this entire universe with my imagination. The details grew with time.

That I am able to counter your argument is a testament to the fact that I imagined you making the point above.

For your Christmas bonus (****, I had fun creating that whole Jesus mess), I've given you the discovery of the Denisovans.
    Enjoy.

But I too claim (and actually am) the one true God, the Creator of the Universe and Lord of All.

• Advertisement

The Chinese one is based on the lunar cycle, and heralds the start of Spring, which seems far more natural and romantic than the changing of some arbitrary date.

And they get a new animal every year. All we get is a lousy new number. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

New Year's shouldn't be celebrated at all. Nothing changes apart from the calender.

New Years Eve in particular is a stupid fúcking depressing "celebration".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

To be more accurate, the Gregorian calender in general makes no astronomical sense.

Doesnt make sense Feb only having 28 days either

There should be six months of 30 days and six months of 31 days and they should run alternately.

And as for the 12 hour clock what a load of ballix !

Like everything else its the fault of the Roman catholic church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Imagine the poster, not the post ;)!

HNY.

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

yeah but what difference does the solstice make to an urban person?

New Year's shouldn't be celebrated at all. Nothing changes apart from the calender.

New Years Eve in particular is a stupid fúcking depressing "celebration".
    I'd say your some craic over a few pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Mike 1972 wrote: »

There should be six months of 30 days and six months of 31 days and they should run alternately.

Yeah... And their time machines changing the numerical systems thousands of years before Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't care. It's just a date as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You people depress me.

The Gregorian calendar is agnostic about when the year begins.

Who celebrated the solstice as the start of the year? Not Romans, Greeks, Celts or anybody.

• Advertisement

AntiMatter wrote: »
    I agree in principle to moving the date, but I'd argue for the 24th, or 25th is it, when the sun rises again.

The modern angry atheist is sounding a lot like a puritanistic Roundhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I try to mentally note the 1st of november as the start of a new year..doesn't really work though as no one else is in on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Mike 1972 wrote: »

yeah the fuckers, we are only after getting our water back there this morning

Advertisement