Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Music

Options
  • 31-12-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

I have a metal app on my phone and the following two songs came on and I almost burst with excitement.

1) Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
    2) Megadeth - Hanger 18

Im into my thirties and listened to these when I was youngin and nothing excited me when listening to this app apart from the obove, bar and a few ozzy and metallica tunes. I also liked a tool tune but never heard it before.

I am getting old but are the above the tunes still some of the best? I was big into maiden late 80's and thought no band could surpass, has it happened? I know its all relative but have any bands competed since?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Some of the classics (Priest/sabbath/megadeth etc) from the seventies to nineties will IMO never be beaten. I get the feeling that we have passed a golden age.

There are very few good new bands out now, and none out now that I would rank as on a par with the bands that I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Whats the app? i'd like to try it.

when did you stop listening to the heavier stuff?

as someone you're age, i'm also not your dyed in the wool rocker anymore, but i have kept a bit in touch with it, so if i knew you're taste a bit better i could recommend stuff.

Tool is a good start, possibly one of the best bands of the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    I am getting old but are the above the tunes still some of the best?

No, you're not that old, come on man...let's be fair...some people in their late 50's still regularly attend Iron Maiden, Rolling Stones and Who gigs and they don't call themselves old

And as for the old being the best - these two tracks rock, and I'd like to see Trivium or Bullet for My Valentine come up with something half as aggressive and impacting as this

****, I miss Pantera, they were needed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The old ones and the originals are always the best, IMO.

The best heavy metal/rock music came from the era of the 1960's up to the mid-1990's. Bands that had talent and a bit of flair were ten-a-penny back then. Now, you'll be lucky to find a band who could hold a candle to the likes of Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Well I'm 32 and I still rate the music I was into in the early nineties among my favourites. Metallica's Ride The Lightning, Sepultura's Chaos AD, Fear Factory's Demanufacture, Machine Head's Burn My Eyes, Therapy's Troublegum, Smashing Pumpkins's Siamese Dream and loads more I can't think of off the top of my head are all awesome albums that have withstood the test of time in my opinion.
    Arthurdaly wrote:
    I am getting old but are the above the tunes still some of the best?
    If you think they are the best then who cares what anyone else thinks?
    Arthurdaly wrote:
    I was big into maiden late 80's and thought no band could surpass, has it happened?
    As I wrote above, what do you think? I'm not a fan of Iron Maiden so I could name loads of bands that I would regard as better than them but that would just be my opinion and no doubt most people would disagree :).
    as someone you're age, i'm also not your dyed in the wool rocker anymore
    Uh oh, is there some sort of age limit on being into rock/metal music?

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »

No, it's just that I'm not the long haired all black clothes wearing person I was in the 90s

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm sure most of our parents would have hoped so! :D

No, it's just that I'm not the long haired all black clothes wearing person I was in the 90s
    So there's an age limit on having long hair and wearing black clothes then?
    kbannon wrote: »
    I'm sure most of our parents would have hoped so! :D
    Heh, tell me about it. I still periodically joke with my mother about how she threw out my collection of rock & metal shirts when I went to the USA on a J1 in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I just seen an older guy wearing a Slipknot T Shirt and black jeans in Morrison's - I complimented him on his music taste asked him his age, quite randomly because it wasn't something you see every day - he's 62 and has seen them three times, already has tickets for Sonisphere 2011 and considers himself a huge fan.

I say fair play to him.

So there's an age limit on having long hair and wearing black clothes then?

[sigh]

There's definitely no age limit for giving people who don't look like a "true metaller" ( god I hate that term) a slagging on this forum.

Borderline trolling tbh.

• Advertisement

There's definitely no age limit for giving people who don't look like a "true metaller" ( god I hate that term) a slagging on this forum.
    Honestly I don't think I've ever come across anyone getting slagged for their appearance on this forum.
    Borderline trolling tbh.
    <sarcarsm>Yes, that's exactly what it is.</sarcarsm>Why would I troll a forum that I moderate? All I was trying to do was clarify what you wrote as it's a very different viewpoint to my own. I would never have thought that a person's age or the colour of their clothes would or should have a bearing on what music they listen to but hey, maybe when I hit 35 I'll start listening to Lyric FM during my morning commute rather than the combination of Pantera, Spineshank and Walls Of Jericho that I had this morning :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

think you picked him up wrong there 120!

I found my half cut denim from when i was 16 in the mothers attic there a few years a go, acdc patch lots of embroidered band logos and studs inserted!
    Yeah we kept the embroidery bit quiet!:D

Sadly even if that shop in stephens green centre was still there i wouldn't fit into any of their skintight black jeans anymore:(

Also found a helloween tee from then, looks so small now!!!!

on the wierd side i still occasionally dream i have long hair, ( it's gone 8 years now!):confused:

yeah the old stuff is great, makes up most of my music collection.

But i do love to browse in here and be turned on to stuff i'd never otherwise hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

<sarcarsm>Yes, that's exactly what it is.</sarcarsm>Why would I troll a forum that I moderate? .
    Sorry for the OT post, but I literally lol'ed at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Josh_Calvert

after the mid 90's the only good new metal was some of the extreme death and black metal...all the rest can **** off.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

after the mid 90's the only good new metal was some of the extreme death and black metal...all the rest can **** off.
    I wouldn't agree with that. There are some exceptional pieces out there (The Blackening jumps out for starters)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

What makes you say that? I can think of plenty of brilliant albums released in the last 15 years...all it takes is poking one's head into the underground a bit.

e.g.

Primordial - most of their discography
    Atlantean Kodex - The Pnakotic Demos
    Pagan Altar - Mythical And Magical
    Enforcer - Into The Night
    The Gates of Slumber - Conqueror
    Hour of 13 - s/t, The Ritualist

I could go on.

Most people only disregard metal the late 90s and 2000s because their favourite bands weren't putting out great material back then - most Irish metal listeners will never stray from Metallica and Iron Maiden, and I genuinely feel they are missing out on some great metal. Im not talking about black or death metal in particular either, there were plenty of great heavy and speed metal releases even in the last few years.

All the rest? You've listened to every metal release since 1995 and are thereby qualified to make such a sweeping statement? If so, fair play. If not, open your eyes and ears to the massive quantity of awesome music that has been released in the last 15 years.

I think you probably meant to write "I only like extreme death and black metal. I'm too much of an elitist to listen to anything else.".

Honestly I don't think I've ever come across anyone getting slagged for their appearance on this forum.

<sarcarsm>Yes, that's exactly what it is.</sarcarsm>Why would I troll a forum that I moderate? All I was trying to do was clarify what you wrote as it's a very different viewpoint to my own. I would never have thought that a person's age or the colour of their clothes would or should have a bearing on what music they listen to but hey, maybe when I hit 35 I'll start listening to Lyric FM during my morning commute rather than the combination of Pantera, Spineshank and Walls Of Jericho that I had this morning :).

clarify? I'll say it again. I dont dress the same way i did when i was 16. If you do fair play, and i dont judge people who do, but the vibe i was getting from your earlier posts was that you were showing me some disdain because i dont dress like that anymore....and you seem to think that i looked down on anyone who did, way to read too much into any of my posts dude.

It looked to me that your posts were "trying to get a rise out of the ex-rocker", which led to my trolling comment..which i still think is justified. i too asked myself the question "why is he trolling his own forum" and came off as very childish.

if i'm wrong in any of this, please do tell me and i'll apologise, but not before you acknowledge my point of view without the use of jibes.

thanks.

clarify? I'll say it again. I dont dress the same way i did when i was 16. If you do fair play, and i dont judge people who do, but the vibe i was getting from your earlier posts was that you were showing me some disdain because i dont dress like that anymore....and you seem to think that i looked down on anyone who did, way to read too much into any of my posts dude.
    Right, I seem to have stepped on your toes without meaning to.

Let's recap. You originally posted:
    as someone you're age, i'm also not your dyed in the wool rocker anymore, but i have kept a bit in touch with it
    I responded with what were intended to be light-hearted comments about there being an age limit on being into rock/metal or having a light-bulb moment and all of a sudden George Hamilton on Lyric FM appeals more than Phil Anselmo. I couldn't care less what someone looks like. I'm a computer programmer by trade. We have no dress sense as a rule so we couldn't possibly comment on someone else's sense of style ;).
    It looked to me that your posts were "trying to get a rise out of the ex-rocker", which led to my trolling comment..which i still think is justified. i too asked myself the question "why is he trolling his own forum" and came off as very childish.
    Well for what it's worth, I wasn't trying to wind you up at all. I apologise if I have ended up winding you up unintentionally.
    if i'm wrong in any of this, please do tell me and i'll apologise, but not before you acknowledge my point of view without the use of jibes.
    There's no need to apologise at all.
    Just relax Grandad, we'll get you a nice cup of Horlicks, your favourite slippers and a seat beside the fire for the evening.

Not true at all....I listen to heaps of music within metal and without.The guy mentioned Iron Maiden and Megadeth....My contention is that after Roots/Youthanasia/Heartwork/Burn My Eyes...metal hasn't really had any genre defining releases.What new stuff seems to be on the go in recent years is of the more underground type of metal which of course has always been pretty consistent.

• Advertisement

There's no need to apologise at all.

sound malice, no harm done. but for the record, the missus has lyric on in the car the odd time, and it aint that bad....

and substitute the horlicks for a beer and a spliff and its a deal. in fact thats pretty much most evenings in my house!

Not true at all....I listen to heaps of music within metal and without.The guy mentioned Iron Maiden and Megadeth....My contention is that after Roots/Youthanasia/Heartwork/Burn My Eyes...metal hasn't really had any genre defining releases.What new stuff seems to be on the go in recent years is of the more underground type of metal which of course has always been pretty consistent.

Tool's aenima in 96, and lateralus in 01, pretty defining imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

of a simialr ages to a lot of you lads in this thread. What I find often puts me off about newer metal is the 'sound' as opposed to the tune - the 7-string guitars with the mid-eq all scooped out, the overloud bass drum and non-existent bass take away from the tracks for me.

For example, one album i picked up recently that has some good tracks but imho an awful sound in parts is the new Alter Bridge album - the guitars aren;t clear and the treble is whacked up far too high. If the production had a more retro vibe to it I think it would be far more listenable. Even older bands etc have succumbed to it - I'm thinking of Iommi's solo album, or best of all, Beyond Good & Evil by the Cult (altho most of the songs on that would be crap with any producer lol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Old music?

/nowt been good since about 1990. Mention of modern mixing idelogy above is possibly part of the reason I no longer have any real interest in new music. It does tend to sound sh1te as all the air is squeezed out of the sound stage combined with frantic playing styles. The best music is as much about whats not played/not heard as what is.

mike65 wrote: »
    Old music?

/nowt been good since about 1990. Mention of modern mixing idelogy above is possibly part of the reason I no longer have any real interest in new music. It does tend to sound sh1te as all the air is squeezed out of the sound stage combined with frantic playing styles. The best music is as much about whats not played/not heard as what is.

there are a lot of exceptions. sadly most of them are not found in the modern metal genre. but seek and you shall find.

I havent listened to killswitch in a long time, but i remember thinking their production wasnt too bad. again, tool have been known to overcompress a bit (mostly on the last album) but the production is usually top notch.

porcupine tree are produced to with an inch of their lives, but still sound amazing.

I was listening to the shining by black sabbath today and heat of the moment by asia....I dont care what anyone says..there may be new metal thats decent in its own right these days but nothing really seminal has happened since the mid 90's...except in the metal sub genres where band slike emperor and warning and anata have been making some ground breaking records.

So while there may be new stuff thats good, I want good and unique.Theres nothing unique about todays triggered and protooled metal.

And while I would accept aenima as being landmark, lateralus was average...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I have started listening to Black Metal in the past year or two and while I agree that a lot of music from that era was ground breaking and different there was a lot of sheeite too.

Most of these albums from different genres are from the 2000's and all of these made an impact on me. I understand that an album may not blow me in the same sense that Rust in Peace did when I was 15 and full of teenage angst but some will hit the spot in its own way.

System Of A Down - Toxicity
    Rammstein - Mutter
    Opeth- Blackwater Park
    Cynic - Traced In Air
    Audioslave- Audioslave
    Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
    Mastodon - Crack The Skye
    QOSTA - Songs for the Deaf
    Primordial- To The Nameless Dead
    Negura Bunget - Om

to undermine myself slightly I'll also give you Primordial but not Toxicity...SOAD only have one good album an its their first from 1998.

I might also stick mastodon's second album in the classic list....leviathan is pretty unique as well as rocking.

Just have countdown to extinction on there....sounds futuristic and fresh as the day I first heard it back in 1991/92...that whole era is pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Old Metal good New metal bad.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement