Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use PVA when filling plaster cracks?

• 31-12-2010 10:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a small tin of PVA liquid in a DIY store today.

I have to fill 2 small holes/cracks in my ceiling where plaster fell off where the plasterboard nails are (see picture attached) with Pollyfilla,and a builder that I know,said to use PVA solution on the plaster holes/nails and cracks in my ceiling,so that the Pollyfilla filler sticks and bonds propperly and doesnt fall back out over time.

Do I paint on the PVA liquid and then add the Pollyfilla immediatly,or do I wait for the PVA to dry 1st,tnd then add the skim of pollyfilla??

Thanks.

Pic of hole attached.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Normally you'd water down the pva and apply it, wait for to dry then plaster/fill.

If the areas are small just paint on pva, wait for it to dry, then plaster/fill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Normally you'd water down the pva and apply it, wait for to dry then plaster/fill.

If the areas are small just paint on pva, wait for it to dry, then plaster/fill.

Thankyou very much.:)

Areas are no bigger than a 50 cent coin,so straight PVA it is then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Polyfilla is rubbish for filling cracks. Better off with ronseal wood filler. Its the dogs.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If the nails are in tight, then you mightn't even need to use PVA. That said, since you have it you may as well use it. Let it dry and then use the filler over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Using a small brush ...paint in some neat PVA into the hole(s).
    While that is getting tacky.. have the amount of filler you need ready and add about a teaspoonfull or more of neat PVA before adding the water and mix in the usual way...fill the area(s) and leave a little proud .The adhesive in the mix bonds with the prepared area .
    When dry ..sand level with the surrounding surface.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice folks.

My girlfriend was/is painting away like an absolute pro,Im down with man flu today.

She flying through the house painting away.:D

The only thing I managed to do was apply some neat PVA to both the holes in the plaster with a small brush,then back under a duvet on the couch.:o

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Polyfilla is rubbish for filling cracks. Better off with ronseal wood filler. Its the dogs.......

Why use wood filler on plasterboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭AUDIE MURPHY

there is a new product on the market made by Toupret is an expandable plaster crack filler i have used it and its the way forward with the crack problem. its pricey around 20 euro a small tub but worth it. also if its old type plaster nails that are pushing the plaster off the you will have to use a nail punch to secure them or it will keep happening , and the pva solution is nonsense it doesnt work i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Why use wood filler on plasterboard?

I thought the same until I used it and wouldn't use anything else now, but trust me the Ronseal Wood Filler is brilliant for plasterboard cracks. Its not cheap but it comes ready to go in the tin. About €20 for 1kg but it goes a long way and spreads very easy into the tiniest of cracks and dries within 10 min

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

No matter what you use they will always come back as its the nail moving that causes the ceiling to pop using pva will do nothing,And polyfller is the strongest filler you can use for plaster.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I thought the same until I used it and wouldn't use anything else now, but trust me the Ronseal Wood Filler is brilliant for plasterboard cracks. Its not cheap but it comes ready to go in the tin. About €20 for 1kg but it goes a long way and spreads very easy into the tiniest of cracks and dries within 10 min

I generally use Gyproc Promix. Bought a bucket of it there for I think it was about 20 quid when I was doing the kitchen. its technically a jointing compound, but it works wonders with filler. I've never had a problem with it, aside from the mould that grows in the bucket if its left for a long period :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

No matter what you use they will always come back as its the nail moving that causes the ceiling to pop using pva will do nothing,And polyfller is the strongest filler you can use for plaster.

yeah but its easy to just tap the nail or screw tight again.

The nail heads were tapped in a bit more prior to using the PVA solution.

the small holes in the plaster,where the nails were,are now filled in and sanded smooth.

Ready to be painted tomorrow.Still have man flu today,so my girlfriend went and bought more paint and started masking off the room in readiness for painting.

Thanks again for the advice

If it happens again, then put a couple of plaster screws into the part thats there to stop it from moving and popping out the holes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I generally use Gyproc Promix. Bought a bucket of it there for I think it was about 20 quid when I was doing the kitchen. its technically a jointing compound, but it works wonders with filler. I've never had a problem with it, aside from the mould that grows in the bucket if its left for a long period :mad:
    I use the bucket with the yellow lid mixed with some powder polyfilla for any substancial holes or cracks!

Maybe if the op mixed up a bit of bonding for the holes first, let it dry, then flush fill with some gyproc compound.

bonding is a bit excessive for a hole the size of a nail head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

bonding is a bit excessive for a hole the size of a nail head.
    Bonding will hold a lot better than filler.

tbh, the only thing that would cause filler in a hole that size would be the thing that caused it in the first place, and bonding or no bonding, that'll still knock the plaster off

. Bonding is for much bigger holes, and is complete overkill here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

For a start it is not a slab nail. It is a round wire nail so why did someone drive a round wire nail there?/.

Put a screw each side of the nail and then fill. Otherwise it will pop again.

For a start it is not a slab nail. It is a round wire nail so why did someone drive a round wire nail there?/.

Put a screw each side of the nail and then fill. Otherwise it will pop again.

For a start,its not a round wire nail,its a plasterboard nail,I have a spare bag of them here (left behind by builder),and I checked with a local builders providers who confirmed that they were/are plasterboard nails.

Anyway,its sorted now,filled in and painted,so theres no need for you to worry.

Thanks for the concern though

• Advertisement
Advertisement