Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another thread about heating

Options
  • 31-12-2010 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi all,

On 8 of december our heating didn't come on so we assumed we were out of oil. We have no way of checking this btw - as there is no level on the tank and we didn't have a stick long enough to check.

Anyhoo - we ordered new oil and it arrived roughly a week later. Still tho - the heating didn't come on. We reckoned that when the oil ran out - dirt was dragged through the heating system and clogged up the filter.

This has happened before and the last time we had someone out to fix it, he told us that he was reccommending to the letting agency that the landlord replace the entire system because it was borderline dangerous.

Anywhoo - I contacted the letting agency and they did their best to find a plumber however he couldn't make it in the bad weather. As a result of the no heating over the christmas our pipes froze, but no bursting thank god.

Anyway - its now December 31st and we still have no heating. We've had to run electric heaters all the time and the immersion to take showers so our electricity bill is quite expensive. Also, my per gerbil died.

There is only one month left on the lease. Are we within our rights to just abandon the house and not pay the last months rent and demand the deposit back from the letting agency?

Or is our misery our own doing?

Cheers
    Push

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Hi all,

On 8 of december our heating didn't come on so we assumed we were out of oil. We have no way of checking this btw - as there is no level on the tank and we didn't have a stick long enough to check.

Anyhoo - we ordered new oil and it arrived roughly a week later. Still tho - the heating didn't come on. We reckoned that when the oil ran out - dirt was dragged through the heating system and clogged up the filter.

This has happened before and the last time we had someone out to fix it, he told us that he was reccommending to the letting agency that the landlord replace the entire system because it was borderline dangerous.

Anywhoo - I contacted the letting agency and they did their best to find a plumber however he couldn't make it in the bad weather. As a result of the no heating over the christmas our pipes froze, but no bursting thank god.

Anyway - its now December 31st and we still have no heating. We've had to run electric heaters all the time and the immersion to take showers so our electricity bill is quite expensive. Also, my per gerbil died.

There is only one month left on the lease. Are we within our rights to just abandon the house and not pay the last months rent and demand the deposit back from the letting agency?

Or is our misery our own doing?

Cheers
    Push

i got a letter from my landords agency in sepetmber saying that if i let the oil run out completely and the boiler sucked up dirt and a repair was needed i would have to pay for it

i have no way of checking either as my tank is located on the garage roof and i dont have a ladder to get up there

your case might be differnt if you didnt get a letter though but i was warned not to let it happen or id be paying for the boiler repairs

you would be very lucky to get a deposit back and a free month as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I'd say it's an airlock. These are quite common when you let oil run out completely and it just needs to be bled out. You could post on the plumbing forum to ask about this. Find out the boiler model beforehand. Presume you have tried the reset button on your boiler?
    Have had this happen before a few time in different houses and usually the oil delivery guys will help to restart the system as they are familiar with the boilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So sorry about your wee gerbil....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

Update Time!

we had a guy out to fix the boiler today. and we thought it was all going fine. However, we noticed a strange smell in the house, a smell of oil. Then we went to check on it and discovered oil leaking all over the garage. We haven't touched the boiler since the dude was here earlier.

What is the best thing to do?

Cheers
    push

Advertisement