Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does it take to be creative...

Options
  • 31-12-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Losing your self, being a bit 'mad'. capturing an 'essence' of nothing and everything at the same time. Visualising 'stuff', being open to new ideas no matter how abstract.

Scratching and writing stuff none stop, taking up a pencil as the most natural interface combined with a piece of paper. Running that pencil randomly with no thought to 'naturally' create a vision of 'it'. Something new happens with a pencil and paper...

Taking new tech and dreaming about it and how it can be used in 'mad' ways. Waking up in the middle of the night with new ideas that have to be written down lest they be forgotten.

Staying up all night being inspired by an idea that feels wrong the next day but grows legs once it is got back into.

Feeling that nobody gets your idea/s.

Having to explain ideas to people that don't get your ideas in a professional way (in meetings with management). Profesional stuff and creative work don't mix unless explained about how they work with a timeline and money making sensibilities. The 2 don't mix, they really don't.

But in some way they do because you have to make them work. It's tough being creative isn't it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

None of that stuff is "creative", although in a cliched way, it does sound like somebody trying to appear creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

None of that stuff is "creative", although in a cliched way, it does sound like somebody trying to appear creative.

Restricted for sure. What is your example of creativity from your experience? Feel free to offer examples from your apparent expert opinion...

Would be interested about anything that is creative and new. I have plenty of ideas using tech, plus I have many 'random' ideas that are abstract in a social sense (which is a key). My introduction is 'cliched' only as an intro and verbose introduction for folks without applying to the closed mindedness of folks, that you proposed?

It is an open forum in that respect. Don't go all lars von trier on me yet;) It is easy to critisize in a none constuctive way and shut folks down. That always happens, new and fresh ideas happen. I think new ideas should be encouraged and not shut down by limited views and learned opinions.

Sorry to say it but you are guilty of shutting down creativity with your opinion. Best of luck with that attitude and ironic closure of said opinon. Maybe you should learn to get over that. But to be honest you have already destroyed this thread. it only takes one.

In the word of Captain Picard, the best control freak of our generation... Make it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Would be interested about anything that is creative and new. I have plenty of ideas using tech, plus I have many 'random' ideas that are abstract in a social sense (which is a key). My introduction is 'cliched' only as an intro and verbose introduction for folks without applying to the closed mindedness of folks, that you proposed?

It is an open forum in that respect. Don't go all lars von trier on me yet;) It is easy to critisize in a none constuctive way and shut folks down. That always happens, new and fresh ideas happen. I think new ideas should be encouraged and not shut down by limited views and learned opinions.

Sorry to say it but you are guilty of shutting down creativity with your opinion. Best of luck with that attitude and ironic closure of said opinon. Maybe you should learn to get over that. But to be honest you have already destroyed this thread. it only takes one.

In the word of Captain Picard, the best control freak of our generation... Make it so.
    you are trying too hard.

I agree, it should come more naturally.

• Advertisement

you are trying too hard.

At the same time you are not trying hard enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

1. Gradient tool
    2. Helvetica, Gotham, myriad pro and a few nice serifs
    3. A few vector packs and textures
    4. An Internet connection to copy YouTube tutorials to the letter.
    5. "I is creative designer now, lolzer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

It doesnt mean anything really unless you will come up with your idea of what does it mean to be creative...

To me - the most important thing is to have imagination and to be able to use it -this combined with good taste, feeling for colour, style etc and knowledge of art/culture (and techniques) is a winning mix

- but after - all what Deliverance listed happens. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its much easier to mock what the OP said than to try and come up with a definition. Granted the description sounds a little stylised, and mostly it describes the consequence of being creative, but almost any description would be easy to be smart about.

There is nothing as nonsensical as the overblown descriptions that some 'real' artists apply to their artworks - but they are so obscure and convoluted that people assume everyone else understands them.

One interpretation of creativity is solving problems. Whether it is working out how to express an idea, or finding a way of making something do what you want it to, finding solutions is creative, whether it relates to fine art or woodwork, computer programming or logistics.

However you define it, awareness of creativity should be encouraged without cynicism. When people try consciously to open their minds, think laterally and generally get out of their rut it can only lead to a more creative, energetic and tolerant society.

Advertisement