Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jake The Crow (Broken wing and leg left side)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

This may not be much help, but I know that most vets will treat wild animals and birds for free, my vet in Dublin has helped out with birds on more than one occasion.
    With those injuries, he needs to be treated asap.

To lessen the stress, keep the box covered and darkness usually makes birds settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

bird is still alive this morning. he isn't dying of whatever is wrong with him but he's not touching the food or water either. I don't give him much hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

j@utis wrote: »
    bird is still alive this morning. he isn't dying of whatever is wrong with him but he's not touching the food or water either. I don't give him much hope.
    Hard to know how bad his injuries are from the video, but like you said if he's not drinking of eating his chances are poor. As the other poster said bring him to the vet, they will most likely not charge for wild animals....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if he makes it through, you should read 'corvus' by esther woolfson; she hand reared a rook which became a family pet, among other birds.

not much chances that any place is open today or tomorrow or Monday :( I managed to get some food & water into his beak, don't know how much he's swallowed but still it's better than nothing.
    I'm not sure if he's got some broken bones but one side of him is weaker than the other, he has a good strong grip in one leg but the other is barely holding onto my finger. the same story with the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

just talk with someone, they don't give him much time ,we'll see. Found out though that you have to keep him away from any house birds and wash hands after holding as he could be carrying something that could harm the other ones. Wear gloves and clean

not much chances that any place is open today or tomorrow or Monday :( I managed to get some food & water into his beak, don't know how much he's swallowed but still it's better than nothing.
    I'm not sure if he's got some broken bones but one side of him is weaker than the other, he has a good strong grip in one leg but the other is barely holding onto my finger. the same story with the wing.
    That sounds like a slight improvement if he's accepting food... I think. Moist cat food, dog food, scrambled egg, sunflower seed and peanuts, in fact I've seen crows eat almost anything.
    Hope he makes it.

if he makes it through, you should read 'corvus' by esther woolfson; she hand reared a rook which became a family pet, among other birds.
    Excellent. Sounds interesting, thanks for the recommendation, buying it on amazon right now. :)

Rancid wrote: »
    That sounds like a slight improvement if he's accepting food... I think. Moist cat food, dog food, scrambled egg, sunflower seed and peanuts, in fact I've seen crows eat almost anything.
    Hope he makes it.

well, he has no choice: I push it too deep into his beak to spit it out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Don't give water as it's very easy to get it into the lungs unless you know what you're doin. Better to feed soppy food and it will get enough moisture from that. If bones are broken you should be able feel the break if you take an end of the bone in each hand and gently see if you can feel any 'gritting' as you manoeuver them together. Broken bones will most likely require 'pinning' and aftercare which will, I'm afraid, be uneconomical for a pest species. Best of Luck.

• Advertisement

How's he doing?

he's still alive and seems to be doing better. Well she fed him anyway , don't know what to do with him to be honest. we'll see how he's doing tomorrow

bird's still alive. he ate tiny bit of canned cat food this morning and then little bit in the afternoon. but in my oppinion he should be eating 10x that.
    his right side is damaged not the left as posted above. right leg feels hot but definately not broken. today it's less hot than yesterday. the problem is the right wing.
    I don't want to handle him too much because hell knows what he could be carrying and I might accidentelly transfer it to our beloved goldfinch Bob. I wear gloves and change my clothing when feeding him. I'm washing my hands and desinfecting the door handles after comming back from garage where we keep this crow.

bird's still alive. he ate tiny bit of canned cat food this morning and then little bit in the afternoon. but in my oppinion he should be eating 10x that.
    his right side is damaged not the left as posted above. right leg feels hot but definately not broken. today it's less hot than yesterday. the problem is the right wing.
    I don't want to handle him too much because hell knows what he could be carrying and I might accidentelly transfer it to our beloved goldfinch Bob. I wear gloves and change my clothing when feeding him. I'm washing my hands and desinfecting the door handles after comming back from garage where we keep this crow.
    Well done on reducing the risk of infection, sounds like you've got it right.
    I've been following the Bob thread and am so impressed with his progress, as, I think, we all are.

I'm sure Jake should be eating more, but isn't it a good sign that he's survived until now?
    If you offered him food more regularly, would he take it? Sounds like small amounts very often is the best way.

From tomorrow vets should be open normal hours and most vets will treat "wild animals" for free. His injuries may not be too serious, a broken wing is treatable, so it's not hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Try contacting WSPCA on 0404 44783

A.S.H in Kiltegan would be worth a call also on 059 647 3396, as they help out with injured wildlife as well.

Contacted a few people today and looks like i'm taking him to A.S.H in Kiltegan tomorrow unless he heals over night, to be honest i'll be happy to get him down there, what with the gold finch and canary in the house and the tap tap tapping noise he keeps making with his beak on the box lol

well the crow is been well taken care of at a.s.h ,thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

let us know how he gets on..........

You got him through those first days when no doubt shock or something else would have killed him.
    Well done on taking care of him!

well here's there facebook page, would love to live in the area myself
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=45383311027&v=wall

• Advertisement
Advertisement