Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapters Bookshop.

Options
  • 31-12-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭

Quick query here. Does anyone know what address Chapters Bookshop had on Middle Abbey St before it moved to number 108 Middle Abbey St? (we're talking mid to late 1990's move I think).

All I can remember was it was on the opposite side to where it is now but can't remember how far down it was. Perhaps someone knows exactly what position it had or could tell me what business is there now in its place?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

yup: http://www.chapters.ie/

to wit Parnell St, Ivy Exchange, Dublin 1. (In layman's language, beyond Tesco's towards Cineworld.) (01) 8723297

Huge 2nd hand section upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Thanks but I'm looking for its address/position when it was on Middle Abbey St during the mid 1990s, not where it is now.

IIRC it was a deep dark looking shop with 2 floors and a generally "functional" looking appearance. Also I the counter was unusually high off the ground so no matter who was standing there would look about 8ft tall behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think you may get more answers in the Dublin forum. Shall I move the thread to there?

Worth a shot! Thanks WS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

There were two Chapters on Abbey St., IIRC.

One where the book shop is now, and one across the road, and slightly further towards O'connell St.

But the second one was a music store, not a book shop. Then the music store closed down, to be located upstairs, across the road.

I don't remember the exact address though.

Edit; This could be it here, address down the page...http://www.softguides.com/dublin/shopping/cat_music.html

Twisted Pepper is there now. Seems about right, from what I remember.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Huh. I didn't know that!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Prior to the second Chapters, wasn't Chapters in yet another location on Abbey Street? Not where that sports shop is now. Then they consolidated both shops and moved to 108 Abbey Street before finally the move to Parnell Street.

I've been going to Chapters, in its various incarnations, for about twenty years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

ixoy wrote: »
    Prior to the second Chapters, wasn't Chapters in yet another location on Abbey Street? Not where that sports shop is now. Then they consolidated both shops and moved to 108 Abbey Street before finally the move to Parnell Street.

I've been going to Chapters, in its various incarnations, for about twenty years now!

Wasn't there a small one opposite Eason's, just a couple of doors up from the corner where Supermacs is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm nearly certain there were two bookshops (and the music one) at one time. I'll poke around for old bookmarks later...

• Advertisement

Pretty sure where bookworm is now, used to be a chapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm nearly certain there were two bookshops

The other was on the corner of Henry St & Liffey St, if memory serves - where H Samuel is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the place has a broad selection but it lacks soul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Have to say, I prefer the old Abbey St Chapters :( the new one is too nice. The old one made it all feel like a rustic adventure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nevore wrote: »
    That sounds right. Then it split out into a music store as well elsewhere on Abbey Street. Then they re-formed into one shop at 108 Abbey Street before moving to Parnell Street.
    Have to say, I prefer the old Abbey St Chapters :( the new one is too nice. The old one made it all feel like a rustic adventure.
    Heh, I kinda know what you mean - although their selection now is much bigger. When I take a trip up to the second-hand sci-fi/fantasy section upstairs, it feels a bit more old skool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The upstairs is still old school, When I'm downstairs I have to have the headphones on cos your man does me head in (ye know who I bet ) :pac:

Manys the tape and vinyl bargain I swooped in upon in the old chapters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Bambi - I know exactly who you are talking about!
    Have to say I like the new store. It's bright and airy and more convenient for my bus stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Bambi wrote: »
    The upstairs is still old school, When I'm downstairs I have to have the headphones on cos your man does me head in (ye know who I bet ) :pac:

Is it the guy who runs the place? :D

The Frasier sounding guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

my mate Cillian used to work in the music/DVD section on the top floor on abbey st

I distinctly remember him behind the counter,wearing a T-shirt with a picture of a plane taking off
    the caption was "if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"
    I loved the place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Was there ever a branch of Chapters on or near Wicklow St? I have memories of going to town with my Dad at age 7, so around '89, and shopping in Chapters while he got his hair cut in Sheppards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

I think your talking about the shop beside bookworm , It was a book bargain store which belonged to Easons (cafe manila is now there) I worked nights back in the early 90's and used to get a 39 bus home from middle abbey street,used to pop in most mornings for a browse.

your man upstairs in chapters can be a bit narky at times.

they could also do with longer opening hours.

what I dislike most about the place is that they have no loyalty card.they could not care less if you shop there or not and are indifferent to the amount you spend there, which is why I make larger purchases at H and F.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Was there ever a branch of Chapters on or near Wicklow St? I have memories of going to town with my Dad at age 7, so around '89, and shopping in Chapters while he got his hair cut in Sheppards.

There's a place still on Wicklow Street called The Hidden Bookshop... I think... it's up a flight of stairs, would this be it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Lollymcd wrote: »
    There's a place still on Wicklow Street called The Hidden Bookshop... I think... it's up a flight of stairs, would this be it?

I think that's the Secret Bookshop, and you're not supposed to talk about that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

No, I remember it being Chapters. Then again as a 7 year old I may have referred to all bookshops as Chapters.

I deffo remember there also being a Chapters on Mary street, I think it's where the Banba Toymaster is now. The steps down to the basement in that shop seem very familiar.

Fuinseog wrote: »

what I dislike most about the place is that they have no loyalty card.they could not care less if you shop there or not and are indifferent to the amount you spend there, which is why I make larger purchases at H and F.
    Thats disingenuous tbh. Eason, bookworms and dozens of independent bookstores around the country don't offer loyalty cards. Does that mean no one but waterstones/hodgesfigges actually want you to shop with them? Don't be ridiculous.

Lollymcd wrote: »

I thought the secret bookshop was downstairs... maybe there's two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I thought the secret bookshop was downstairs... !
    That's what they want you to think.

Thats disingenuous tbh. Eason, bookworms and dozens of independent bookstores around the country don't offer loyalty cards. Does that mean no one but waterstones/hodgesfigges actually want you to shop with them? Don't be ridiculous.

a loyalty card is a nice gesture that encourages custom. if i go into a clothes shop and spend more than a hundred E I always get a discount unless its a multi national like M and S. Easons would also rank as a impersonal store where the staff appear to know very little about books. I have spent over a hundred euro in chapters and they did not give me anything off.

the Celtic tiger is over and people watch out for these things.

• Advertisement

Must just be you then. I've often gotten discounts in chapters and on the odd occasion in Eason and m&s. Then again I go out of my way to be pleasant to the staff and not elude a sense of entitlement. :pac:
    It's also telling that the example you give is a multinational, so perhaps its buying power and their profit margins that allows them to give five euro back for every 100 spent or whatever. How much is it anyway?

Advertisement