Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guy selling dog please read content

• 01-01-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

lets kick off 2011 with a small debat ... I'm actually speechless ...

Please look at this ad and tell me what you think ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i think its a guy selling a dog.

yes due to OVERSTOCKING . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Or probably tried him as a stud dog and did not work out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, he's obviously using dogs for hunting and has too many of them due (i would guess) to breeding, hence the 'overstocking' part.

so he's selling a dog because he's got too many of them, what's the big deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

He's also selling this other spaniel "due to over stocking".:mad:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/1778344

it's a dog ... not a TV or christmas cards .... OVERSTOCKING ... omg

I'm PMing you, Falabo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

what you are trying to say OP. he's selling a dog because he has many dogs...what is the problem?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe the OP thinks that someone who finds themselves in a situation with too many animals should keep them rather than reduce the numbers to a more reasonable level.

• Advertisement

Nozebleed wrote: »
    what you are trying to say OP. he's selling a dog because he has many dogs...what is the problem?

The problem is that:

A DOG IS FOR LIFE

(bar very exceptional circumstances, such as death/paralysis etc. of the owner.)

Can people not just get that into their skulls?

falabo wrote: »
    it's a dog ... not a TV or christmas cards .... OVERSTOCKING ... omg
    seriously, please explain EXACTLY what your problem is with someone selling a hunting dog because he hasn't got the room to keep it because you aren't making very much sense at all at the moment?

kbannon wrote: »
    Maybe the OP thinks that someone who finds themselves in a situation with too many animals should keep them rather than reduce the numbers to a more reasonable level.

This type of "situation" some people "find themselves in" is far too prevalent on this isle of ours.

The problem is that:

A DOG IS FOR LIFE

(bar very exceptional circumstances, such as death/paralysis etc. of the owner.)

it's not a pet, it's an animal bred for, and trained specifically for hunting.

every dog breeder in the world sells their dogs due to "overstocking", what exactly is your point?

it's not like he's got a big bin stacked full of dogs and he's just pulling one out because he can't shut the lid on it.

for all you know he keeps kennels with dozens of dogs an there were more pups than he had a use for so he's selling on some of the extras that he can't provide a home for.
    This type of "situation" some people "find themselves in" is far too prevalent on this isle of ours.
    seriously you really need to get over yourself and get off that high horse, these are not pets, they are hunting dogs that he's selling for €300 & €600. those aren't prices you can charge for a dog that hasn't been well looked after.

here's an idea, why don't you start a petition to stop every dog owner/breeder in the country from ever selling on any pups they end up with because a dog is for life and should never ever be sold on.:rolleyes:

the guy is obviously a hunter with ample access to firearms, would you rather he just took it out the back and put a bullet in its head instead? that would fulfil your "dog is for life" requirements.

The problem is that:

A DOG IS FOR LIFE

no..a baby is for life. a dog is a dog.

no..a baby is for life. a dog is a dog.

That's the kind of ignorant attitude that underpins much of the animal abuse in this country.

That's the kind of ignorant attitude that underpins much of the animal abuse in this country.

i've never mistreated an animal,and i doubt the guy selling the dog's in question has either. he's selling a working dog and thats it. its a dog.

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's not a pet, it's an animal bred for, and trained specifically for hunting.

He's not advertising as a breeder selling pups. Pups enter an intensive socialization period from about 8weeks to about 16 weeks: that's the best time to socialize them to a new family.

No, he's selling adult dogs that should be well-settled into their homes by now. Dogs are highly sociable pack animals and removing them from their pack is highly distressing for them. Hunting or working dogs are as sentient, loyal and attached as non-working dogs. They are as much pets or domestic animals as any other dog.

No animal lover would throw them out the door like that unless as a last resort. The term "over-stocking" stinks to the high heavens of a callous attitude to dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

No animal lover would throw them out the door like that unless as a last resort. The term "over-stocking" stinks to the high heavens of a callous attitude to dogs.

Lucky he's selling it so?

its a dog..it doesn't think like a worried human..it thinks about food and retrieving..and sniffs other dogs arses. dogs aren't humans. they are dogs.

• Advertisement

its a dog..it doesn't think like a worried human..it thinks about food and retrieving..and sniffs other dogs arses. dogs aren't humans. they are dogs.

Of course a dog isn't human! :rolleyes: A dog doesn't merely think about food, retrieving and sniffing other dogs' arses - although those activities are certainly highly important to dogs. They also think a great deal about their pack and their position in that pack. They develop a huge loyalty and sense of attachment to their pack leader.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think this is going nowhere. You are assuming that the owner is somehow neglecting the dog by selling it. Others including myself have suggested alternatives, some of which I presume that you consider not humane.
    However, we are not going to agree on this matter.

Of course a dog isn't human! :rolleyes: A dog doesn't merely think about food, retrieving and sniffing other dogs' arses - although those activities are certainly highly important to dogs. They also think a great deal about their pack and their position in that pack. They develop a huge loyalty and sense of attachment to their pack leader.

You forgot that dogs are also carnivorous hunters in nature . How often do you take yours out hunting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah sure 'tis a hunting dog, youse soft city folk wouldn't understand. Isnt it lucky he's selling it instead of just taking it out and shooting it for being no good to him? etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

These are working dogs. While in an ideal world all dogs would live out there lives sitting beside the fire, but this is not an ideal world. These dogs I would presume have a job to do and for whatever reason these 2 dogs cannot do that job or the owner has no time to put these dogs to work, if he was to keep every dog that could no longer do it's job then he would probably have no money left to look after them all properly.

The 2 dogs in question look to be in extremely good condition, they are a good weight and their coats look quite well. Now if you were to do a bit more digging on that website you would find loads of pet dogs being sold for worse reasons and with various problems (under/over weight, matted coat, overall poor looking condition). What I would have a worse problem with is breeders selling off pet stock after they have bred their 2 litters a year off them for years until they can no longer have any more pups, and then sell them off in poor condition, with temperment problems and god knows how many health issues because of being overbred.

I do agree with you though that the word 'overstocked' does sound very heartless and cruel. And just to add I do not know the seller and Im only basing my opinion on what Im seeing in the ad, which I agree is not ideal but there are a lot worse on that website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

He's not advertising as a breeder selling pups. Pups enter an intensive socialization period from about 8weeks to about 16 weeks: that's the best time to socialize them to a new family.

No, he's selling adult dogs that should be well-settled into their homes by now. Dogs are highly sociable pack animals and removing them from their pack is highly distressing for them. Hunting or working dogs are as sentient, loyal and attached as non-working dogs. They are as much pets or domestic animals as any other dog.

Well, in that case, I shall write a strongly worded letter to the doggie social service, outlining this utterly unacceptable situation as a matter of utmost importance. I shall demand that a doggie psychologist be appointed to the case without delay, and I shall insist in the animal recieve at least 10 sessions of councelling and therapy per month, as part of its rehabilitation from this haenous and highly stressful trauma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The problem is that:

A DOG IS FOR LIFE

"A dog is for life" is used to remind people that being bored of your dog is not a good enough reason to surrender it to the pound.

Selling a good working dog on to a new home where to the best of your knowledge it will be properly cared for <-- there's absolutley nothing wrong with that.

The owner of the dog on donedeal is not shooting his dog. He's not straying his dog. He's not driving off up the Wicklow mountains and pushing it out of the car and speeding off without it. He's not drowning his dog. He's not tying his dog out in his back yard and ignoring it, 24 x 7 x 365. He's not leaving it without adequate food, water or shelter. He's not mistreating his dog. He's not starving his dog. He's not letting it wander because he's become bored of it. He's not ignoring it. He's not driving it to the vet to have it put to sleep because he'd rather a new puppy.

He's selling it - and to ward off queries about the dogs suitability for hunting, or whether or not it's aggressive, or timid, or has bitten someone, or whether it's destructive, or ill, or any of the other reasons people get rid of dogs, he's explained that he wants to sell the dog because of 'overstocking', which is a simple one-word explanation for 'I have too many dogs, there is nothing wrong with this dog, he's a well-trained retrieving dog who works effectively when he needs to, I'm simply looking to sell him because I have too many dogs'.

Frankly I'm happy to see someone taking the responsibility for selling and rehoming a good working adult dog, instead of any of the other 'solutions' I've listed above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, these are dogs that have been bred and trained to do a very specific job. Their most baisic need is to be allowed to do this job and it's my firm belief that they could not possibly be happy otherwise. If this need they have cannot be met by the current owner for whatever reason they should absolutely be moved on to someone who can satisfy their needs. People who breed gun dogs like this (responsibly) have a much smaller pool to breed from than say show breeders so it is essential that they introduce new blood into their lines which often means training new dogs up before they can tell if they will be any good for breeding from, inevitably this means the experienced (and actually very valuable) older dogs have to be either sold on to someone else or retired which in my opinion is an abismal existance for a still young in relative terms working dog.

Having just read the first 2 pages of dogs for sale I am completely astounded that these are the ones you have singled out, they are the most genuine ads of the lot! A brief overview - hundreds of winter/non-registered puppies, made-up breeds, adolesent and young adults with no reason given for selling them and so on . . .

and there we have it!!! :rolleyes:

you have no evidence whatsoever that there has been any mistreating of any dogs, you don't know this man, you've never seen him, his dogs, where he keeps them or how he treats them 1st, 2nd, 3rd or even 4th hand in fact you have no idea about ANYTHING at all to do with this man or his dogs at all other than the fact he used the word "overstocking" in his adverts and that requires you to make summary judgement on that word alone and condemn him as someone who mistreats animals.

by your own rationale i and everyone else here who have read your posts in this thread (actually anyone who's even read one of them should do) are more than well equipped to make summary judgements on exactly the type of person you are and trust me, you don't come off very well at all.

but that's okay though because you've already shown us that it's okay to judge people entirely based on a single word and since you've shown us loads of words its obviously fine for us to make judgements about you. :rolleyes:

seriously, you need to get over yourself and move on. you have no evidence of anything whatsoever other than that one person out of the 5,899 ads for dogs on donedeal.ie (out of those 5,899 ads only 605 are for puppies so 5294 adult dog sales) used the word "overstocking" and that somehow offends you.

do another search on donedeal.ie for "overstock" and you'll find other 5 different adverts using the same wording in relation to hunting/working dogs all over ireland, not including the two already posted here which for some reason do not appear in the search, so there are probably several (or possibly many) more adverts.

you have a very strong opinion on this subject, but you need to understand that having a strong opinion about something is not the same as having a good/strong argument about it and that is something you just don't have in any way shape or form and you really really need to come to terms with that.

if you really feel that strongly about it then by all means call these people up and give them a piece of your mind, but i doubt they will even hear you through the sound of their own laughter.

or call the ISPCA and tell them all about it, but you'll probably get a similar response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Thread's like this are the reason why this forum has gone to shiit lately and why i and many others tend to just touch on the main page here now.

Let's hope the Mod's can deal with it this year or we'll end up with another year like 2010

Advertisement