Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jessie J

• 01-01-2011 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭

Anybody else looked into her? Lead single off an album due out this year:

Caught my attention by beating James Blake, an experimental dubstep head, to the Critic's Choice award at the Brits.

It is rather 'poppy', but please try and look past the inevitable similarities/comparisons to Lady GaGa et al. Let's give her a chance, for now ;)

EDIT: If Mods feel this should be appropriated to another forum, feel free.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Pretty bleh.

Beating James Blake isn't much of an achievement tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Not a big dubstep fan, then?

James Blake makes minimal dub, not dubstep. And he isn't particularly good at it.

In your opinion, Orizio. ;)

I happen to think he's rather good at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

either way this is trash,kinda like gaga but not exactly.

• Advertisement

CiaranMT wrote: »
    In your opinion, Orizio. ;)

I happen to think he's rather good at it.

He is a Bon Iver rip-off Ciaran, and that's the ****ing end of it. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This chick is garbage and Blake is REALLY tedious.

Orizio wrote: »
    He is a Bon Iver rip-off Ciaran, and that's the ****ing end of it. :pac:

/thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

They labels would have pushed this single first as not to frighten the masses with actual mental abilities.
    Please see video for demo of absurd vocal skills 'Mama knows best'.
    Before she was signed or anything..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNh5a3BW_0

Her song Big White room
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKfzXq1gcG4

The acoustic version of 'Do it like a dude'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAd3ogzmnl4

I been into her since, over a year now... she's written for Aguilera, Alicia Keys, Miley Cirus, Britney Spears.
    There is nothing GaGa about her... Justimberlake just labelled her
    'the best singer in the world right now'. She is skill, writes all her own material, performing since a kid, She's going to wipe the floor with all of them pop fools. I, cant wait.

They labels would have pushed this single first as not to frighten the masses with actual mental abilities.
    Please see video for demo of absurd vocal skills 'Mama knows best'.
    Before she was signed or anything..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNh5a3BW_0

Her song Big White room
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKfzXq1gcG4

The acoustic version of 'Do it like a dude'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAd3ogzmnl4

I been into her since, over a year now... she's written for Aguilera, Alicia Keys, Miley Cirus, Britney Spears.
    There is nothing GaGa about her... Justimberlake just labelled her
    'the best singer in the world right now'. She is skill, writes all her own material, performing since a kid, She's going to wipe the floor with all of them pop fools. I, cant wait.

I bet she doesn't,I bet she flops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

She's crap. Beyond crap.

As a singer myself, her level of ability is impressive to say the very least.
    If you dis-agree with that, its a wild guess to say your a radio listener who perhaps doesn't appreciate vocal ability?
    i.e: you dont have to play the guitar to appreciate a great guitar player.
    dont say someone is sh*te on the guitar just coz your not over excited about it as an instrument... :cool:

As a singer myself, her level of ability is impressive to say the very least.
    If you dis-agree with that, its a wild guess to say your a radio listener who perhaps doesn't appreciate vocal ability?
    i.e: you dont have to play the guitar to appreciate a great guitar player.
    dont say someone is sh*te on the guitar just coz your not over excited about it as an instrument... :cool:
    yes but as a package shes not all that,her voice may be good but shes wouldnt be the only singer in the world who has a nice voice but aint actually that good over all.

Did you watch the video of Mama Knows best i linked above?
    Beyonce wouldn't even do vocals runs like that...
    Anywho... i'll re-visit this in like a year and we'll see who was more correct ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Im not a hip-hop fan at all, but I have to say I really like what I've heard so far of Jessie J.

I can understand the Gaga reference, however I would understand that to mean she has a widespread cross over appeal, as opposed to being almost clinically insane and look like a transexual.

Do It Like A Dude/Girl Power 2011 is total utter vile revolting godforsaken awful corporate Spice Girls-esque ****, which rips off Linkin Park's Catalyst, to boot. When I hear it all it brings to mind is Simon Cowell (or whoever) getting banged in the ass by a $1 a hour waiter somewhere deep in the Far East on the back of stupid parents who let their kids buy this ****.

Mama Knows Best, is like a primary school Pixie Lott karaoke competition, even practically nicking the ****ing song title.

At least on Big White Room she openly admits in the lyrics that there's absolutely nothing whatsoever going on upstairs.

Two words spring to mind - Arse and Wipe.

Do It Like A Dude/Girl Power 2011 is total utter vile revolting godforsaken awful corporate Spice Girls-esque ****, which rips off Linkin Park's Catalyst, to boot. When I hear it all it brings to mind is Simon Cowell (or whoever) getting banged in the ass by a $1 a hour waiter somewhere deep in the Far East on the back of stupid parents who let their kids buy this ****.

Mama Knows Best, is like a primary school Pixie Lott karaoke competition, even practically nicking the ****ing song title.

At least on Big White Room she openly admits in the lyrics that there's absolutely nothing whatsoever going on upstairs.

Two words spring to mind - Arse and Wipe.

Did she steal your bag of Taytos in the schoolyard when you were younger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yeah she's total **** so I'm sure she'll sit just fine alongside the likes of Lady Gaga and the others. As for being around in a year, I give her 6 months before she's forgotten about and the next idol of ****ing **** music rolls around.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Did she steal your bag of Taytos in the schoolyard when you were younger?

I could completely bear this package if it came firmly tongue in cheek a la JEdward or any other bog standard pop hoe. But conferring on it the crown of BBC Sound of 2011??? The station that in the not so ancient past deemed Jacko's "Thriller" and Frankie's "Relax" unsuitable for broadcast? Renton was right - in 1000 years from now, there won't be guys or gals, just ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Im not a hip-hop fan at all, but I have to say I really like what I've heard so far of Jessie J.

Well it's not Hip-Hop, it's R&B/Pop.

I dunno I think the single is awful, why pick such a bad track to lead with? The hook is cringe-worthy. As for the other vids, she sounds a bit like Joss Stone.

meh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have to agree, the lead single is garbage and way too many effects on her vocals.
    But have to admit, she can sing her as$ off judging from the other vidoes sans vocal interference.
    It just looks to me with the lead single that she is being pushed in a different direction by label/PR to get her known and to jump on the charts bandwagon.

In responce to earlier comments about her writing for the likes of my girlfriend Aguilera, Miley Cirus etc. This doesnt necessarily mean anything.The same was said about Chritina Milian (my other girlfriend) as she wrote some of J-Lo's, Brittany's, Aguilera's smashes. Although she has had a career, it was not taken to the heights that was originally expected becuase of her CV.

Did you watch the video of Mama Knows best i linked above?
    Beyonce wouldn't even do vocals runs like that...
    Anywho... i'll re-visit this in like a year and we'll see who was more correct ;)
    celine dions vocal range is second to none but i aint running out to buy her albums.

Max Power1 wrote: »

I can understand the Gaga reference, however I would understand that to mean she has a widespread cross over appeal, as opposed to being almost clinically insane and look like a transexual.
    so why the fukk you in here then:confused:
    for what its worth,jessie j is not hip hop so maybe thats one reason why she appeals to you.

Not being catty for the sake of it. I genuinely find the sound of her singing voice like false nails going down a blackboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This girl wrote the lyrics to Miley Cyrus' 'Party in the USA' - she actually did :eek: Amazing that while people are saying that Nicki Minaj is trying to be a hip hop version of Lady Gaga, we have someone trying to be a mixture of both artists already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    for what its worth,jessie j is not hip hop so maybe thats one reason why she appeals to you.
    What a friendly forum.

Perhaps I shall not darken the virtual doorstep if this is the welcome handed out to outsiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

So only fans of particular genres may visit certain forums in the Music category? I must get on to the forum moderators so we can get it written into each charter to make sure people don't try to broaden their horizons in future.

sorry it just makes no sense to me,why would someone come into a forum that they have no interest in?
    and lead off with the words "Im not a hip-hop fan at all"

pardon my views of what makes sense,and what doesnt make sense.:rolleyes:

sorry it just makes no sense to me,why would someone come into a forum that they have no interest in?
    and lead off with the words "Im not a hip-hop fan at all"

pardon my views of what makes sense,and what doesnt make sense.:rolleyes:
    No need for the rolling eyes. It seems to me you've just decided to take maximum offence from what was no doubt intended as an innocuous comment. If Max Power1 had instead started with "I'm not much of a hip-hop fan but" or "I don't listen to much hip-hop but" would it have upset you so much?

As for why people would come into a forum they've no interest in, well obviously he spotted the thread title and wanted to join in the discussion. Boards.ie is a discussion forum after all.

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    No need for the rolling eyes. It seems to me you've just decided to take maximum offence from what was no doubt intended as an innocuous comment. If Max Power1 had instead started with "I'm not much of a hip-hop fan but" or "I don't listen to much hip-hop but" would it have upset you so much?

As for why people would come into a forum they've no interest in, well obviously he spotted the thread title and wanted to join in the discussion. Boards.ie is a discussion forum after all.
    conversation dead,apparently you can read the guys mind.

conversation dead,apparently you can read the guys mind.
    Why do you think I can read his mind?

Why do you think I can read his mind?
    Seems you know why he entered the hip hop forum.

Seems you know why he entered the hip hop forum.
    Well why do you think anyone goes to a forum and posts on a thread? You don't have to be a mind reader to figure that one out.

Well why do you think anyone goes to a forum and posts on a thread? You don't have to be a mind reader to figure that one out.
    lol you so dont get the internet.:pac:

lol you so dont get the internet.:pac:
    Are you going to answer my earlier question or just avoid it?
    Malice wrote:
    If Max Power1 had instead started with "I'm not much of a hip-hop fan but" or "I don't listen to much hip-hop but" would it have upset you so much?

• Advertisement

Are you going to answer my earlier question or just avoid it?
    what gives you the impression im upset?
    ive asked a question based on common sense,your the one who took offense and got upset.

what gives you the impression im upset?
    ive asked a question based on common sense,your the one who took offense and got upset.
    What gives me the impression you're upset? Perhaps it was this unnecessarily argumentative post, what do you think? You didn't ask a question based on common sense, either you took offense at what was written or you decided to be a smart arse. Either way you displayed an attitude that has no place on this site.

Now, rather than continue to drag this thread off-topic I would respectfully request, now that you have served a ban, that you treat other forum users with a bit more respect.

Feel free to pop over to the Rock & Metal forum some time to say hello :).

hang on a minute,you chose to reply to my original post nearly two weeks after it was posted,if anyones dragging the conversation off topic its you.
    i swear to god,good site in all that this is,nazi germany hasnt got a patch on it.:rolleyes:

although i will just add,maybe its just the mods in the hip hop forum that are a bit anal about adhering to the over strict code of conduct.
    i cant speak for the whole site.

hang on a minute,you chose to reply to my original post nearly two weeks after it was posted,if anyones dragging the conversation off topic its you.
    i swear to god,good site in all that this is,nazi germany hasnt got a patch on it.:rolleyes:
    *Sigh* Okay, looks like I have to explain a few things to you. First off I'm the Category Moderator for the Music section. As a result I receive reported post notifications for all forums in that section. This thread only came to my attention because I received a reported post notification for something you posted. I'm not much of a Hip Hop fan so I don't visit or post in this forum. If it took two weeks for the post to be reported then that's why it took two weeks for my response.

Now, if I'm dragging the thread off-topic it's because I'm trying (in a reasonable way) to tell you to cop on and not be so harsh with someone if they dare to post in the Hip Hop forum without actually being a Hip Hop fan.

As for the Nazi reference, the alternative is for this site to resemble the comments section of the average YouTube video and I don't think anyone wants that. Finally, no discussion forum reference to Nazis would be complete without this :).

• Advertisement

Bye bye.

Advertisement